Child Themes - Are they feasible to sell?

Wanting to get into Wordpress Theme Development, I read that Child Themes are nice.

But, my question is are they being sold here for say example “Child Theme for twenty-eleven” or such?

Or, should I just think about completely going original and not use Child Themes?

http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/frameworks - see the sales for your self for child themes :slight_smile:

Well, I Do own a Dev Lic for Genesis, that might be a way to go.

But I only see like 3 Frameworks now.

Hmmm.

Maybe it just may be the problem with the designs… they all look oldish:( And another problem is that you will need to spend 70 - 80 dollars for a old looking theme ( including the price of the framework ) and that cannot compete with a fresh designed theme for 30 - 40 dollars…

duotive said

Maybe it just may be the problem with the designs… they all look oldish:( And another problem is that you will need to spend 70 - 80 dollars for a old looking theme ( including the price of the framework ) and that cannot compete with a fresh designed theme for 30 - 40 dollars…

Well I still have access to All Themes from SP - but you’re right, they’re looking dated, like the original Revolution Themes.

But could be a good starting point, perhaps.

They would need lots of Design Work.

But I’m hoping to springboard from Child Themes to full on Originals.

(Enjoy your work BTW)

Appreciate your opinion.

I think the pricing and having to purchase multiple products puts many people off.

StudioPress puts out quality work but it’s an $85 investment (framework + child) where a stand-alone theme is only $35.

I suppose a developer could take advantage of the popularity of genesis and the lack of new child themes to carve a niche out for themselves.

Thanks :slight_smile: And you’re welcome, that is just my own point of view :smiley:

christopherjon said

I think the pricing and having to purchase multiple products puts many people off.

StudioPress puts out quality work but it’s an $85 investment (framework + child) where a stand-alone theme is only $35.

I suppose a developer could take advantage of the popularity of genesis and the lack of new child themes to carve a niche out for themselves.

Correct, there is that Popularity thing going for Genesis.

Possibly, there are buyers for newer designs.

I wonder if that’s the way to go.

I am in the process of designing my theme, built off a framework, but the theme is NOT a child theme.

I think there is some confusion here.

If you build off a framework, then you should end up with a parent theme. Period.

If you need to mention a ‘template’ in your CSS, then that CSS belongs to a child theme. And if that is the case, then you are building off from a PARENT theme, and not a framework.

Am I even making sense here? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

In terms of business models, I think building child themes for famous ‘parent themes’ like t that of genesis etc, is more like a ‘franchise’ model.

And franchise models usually do not work. Unless of course the main company gives you way more support than you’d typically expect (like McDonalds with their franchise universities and what not!).

I remember asking these questions of going for child themes (the easier route) vs making my own parent theme. I decided for a parent theme, purely because I did not find that big an edge designing and developing for another brand.

Just my $0.02 :slight_smile: