Changing the Color of an Icon Object in Photoshop (.eps file type)

Hi am a new to Photoshop and am learning on my feet. I Just bought some hand drawn icons and hand drawn arrows.

Both came in the .eps file type - I was hoping to change the color of the objects but I’m not even sure if this is possible. I have spent hours trying to work it out with no luck, I was hoping someone could let me know if it is possible and if so point me in the right direction?

I hope this is clear
thanks
Ben

Try this:

Hue & Saturation

Find it here:

Image > Adjustments > Hue & Saturation

Command U, or Control U on PC

Click on Colorize and move the sliders.

You may need to select only the areas you want to change the color for, like don’t select the outlines…

You can also go to the layer’s Blending Option (by right clicking on the layer you want to change the color) and click Color Overlay.

Photoshop: Layers (F7) > Blending Options > Color Overlay

Don’t forget you can press ‘B’ for Brush

Select a color in the Color Picker and just Paint the color in.

Either directly on the layer, or just make a new layer.

For the best ability to edit EPS files, you should have a software like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw. When Photoshop opens an EPS file, it is rasterized.

Firstly thank you all for the quick responses.

I managed to change the color of the web icons as they were hand draw icons on a white background so I was able to use the Photoshop: Layers (F7) > Blending Options > Color Overlay
method above.

For the arrows though it doesn’t seem to work, the arrows are white on a dark grey background so using the method above it Color Overlays the entire image.

I tried the saturation method to loose the dark grey background so I could select and color the arrows but still had no luck.

I have added a link to the arrows image as a Jpeg in case I’m not explaining it properly.

http://blog.djmastercourse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/arrows.jpg

Am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible? Sorry to be a pain!

thanks again
Ben

Try this one:

Using Curves, make the Background completely Black…
Next Select Inverse, Command 'I’
Then use the Hue and saturation…

There you go!!

EDIT:
Sorry image had to be removed!

Those instructions should work fine for you!

Grrr I still can’t get it, feeling a little stupid!

Thanks for all the replies and thanks @GS appreciated - I won’t give up though I’ll just keep chipping away until I get it or I go crazy, which ever happens first!!

Ben

Try : Ctrl + U on Windows or on MAC

Grrr I still can't get it, feeling a little stupid!

Thanks for all the replies and thanks @GS appreciated - I won’t give up though I’ll just keep chipping away until I get it or I go crazy, which ever happens first!!

Ben

Hey I did make a reply telling you to use Adobe Illustrator, why not trying it? :slight_smile:

@gb - I’ve never used illustrator before and assumed it would be way out of my league, especially because I can’t get PS to work for me. I’m going to give it a go though, will let you know how it works out!

thanks

Ben, don’t give up just yet. Illustrator might be your best bet since you have the .eps files. Open the file and select what you want to change. Say you do this on the arrows and it selects the square and the arrow it might be that the objects are grouped.

Use (ctrl+shift+G) or on a mac use (cmd+shift+G) to un-group the object. Click away from the image, then click on the object you want, it should be un-grouped and you should be able to select objects independently. (If the objects are already ungrouped, then you’ll be fine).

You can always drag the object into Photoshop on your layered document and use it as a shape layer, raster, smart object, etc. You’re doing well; keep at it.

P.S. - I removed the image because the file you pointed to IS A Product here on GR.

@gb - I've never used illustrator before and assumed it would be way out of my league, especially because I can't get PS to work for me. I'm going to give it a go though, will let you know how it works out!

thanks

You should open it by Illustrator because this is an EPS file. If you open it by Photoshop it will be rasterized ( I did tell you ) . You cannot separate the elements, that’s why you are asking about how to change the color of each arrow, not the whole page. Supposing you can change the color by Color Overlay or some trick with blending, to use the arrow you have to crop…

But when you use Illustrator, it becomes far easier. Open it in Illustrator. Press F7 to show Layers windows, select each arrow in the list or by clicking directly on the artboard, and choose the Fill/ Outline color to change them. Just like that :wink:

Let me know if it’s any difficulty. You’re welcome.

Thank you all so much for all the help :slight_smile: I didn’t get a chance to try out illustrator as I got an email with the psd attachment…

@gb I’m still going to give it a go in illustrator though as I’ve come this far and I know it’s only going to become a problem again if I don’t - it’s a good trick to have up my sleeve!!

again thanks everyone, I’ve learnt loads in the past couple of days.

Ben