Changes to VideoHive Upload Permissions

Today we’re announcing changes to how authors upload video items to Envato.

As many of you are aware, the video review queues at Envato have been steadily increasing as more authors seek to have their items published and available to customers. Stock footage in particular has seen an increase in volume that far outpaces our ability to review quickly.

We’ve introduced new policies such as batch review as a way to improve efficiency. The result has been a dramatic decrease in the queues but we think there’s more we can do to further reduce wait times.

One of the challenges our reviewers have is that they invest a lot of time reviewing items that do not meet our requirements. In some cases, reviewers are investing time in authors who are not as experienced in a specific category or who are facing the same item rejection reasons with each batch of items they upload. This results in delays for great content reaching customers and delayed earnings for authors who do consistently meet our guidelines.

So, from today, we will be introducing some limits to what categories video authors can upload to and when.

Limiting access to specific categories

To begin, we will be limiting some authors’ access to categories where they may or may not already have approved items. This means that in order to publish new content to a category where the new limits apply, those authors will need to submit a relevant portfolio for review.

For example, if you are an author who already has approved stock footage items, and a solid track record of consistently meeting our stock footage requirements, you will be able to continue uploading stock footage items without restriction (though our content requirements and batch review process still apply). If you are also a motion graphics author who typically produces motion graphics items that don’t meet our requirements, we may remove your access to upload.

If we remove your upload access for a category, your existing approved items for that category will continue to be available to customers for sale, but any items you have in the review queue for that category will be removed. Continuing the stock footage and motion graphics author example from before, your approved motion graphics items would remain available for sale, but any motion graphics items pending review would be removed. To upload new motion graphics items, you would need to submit and pass a portfolio review.

Introducing category-level portfolio review

For authors who would like to upload to a category they don’t have access to, we’ll be introducing a category-level portfolio review process. This will enable us to ensure that authors looking to publish have an understanding of our requirements and fit the creative direction we are taking the library.

Authors who pass a portfolio review will be granted permission to upload to the requested category. Authors who do not pass a portfolio review or who have had their upload access revoked will have to wait six months before they can submit a new portfolio for consideration.

Next steps

We’ll begin rolling this new process out today with a limited number of authors, expanding over the coming weeks/months to include all VideoHive authors.

We believe these changes will have a positive impact for authors by reducing wait times, getting great items in front of customers sooner, helping authors earn quicker and improving the overall quality of the VideoHive library.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for the next seven days providing answers to questions in batches. Please remember our community guidelines as you post.

7 Likes

Well I can tell from the start - this restriction system has bugs/flaws :slight_smile: just minutes ago I got an email saying I have been restricted from uploading stock footage … though I don’t have and never had any stock footage in my portfolio. UNLESS… your system evaluated my items that were being uploaded and rejected 7 years ago ? :smiley:

You should solve this problem :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good afternoon. The last acceptance was in April 2018, of the 300 files were accepted 280, then I do not quite understand why I was blocked ?!

1 Like

Hello. Does the authors who pass this category-level portfolio review will now this somehow? Are you going to e-mail them and tell them that they pass?
Also, what ratio of approved/rejected items will you consider to be sufficient to pass this category-level portfolio review? And ALL the items that where uploaded will be taken in consideration or only, for exemple, the last 2-3 years/monts?
My personal feelling is if you roll this taken in consideration the acceptance ration for all the work than a lot of authors will be bloked, cause we, as authors (well most of us) do evolve in time and we do invest in new equipment/ligts that make our work better, so, if you really are considering all the works we subbmited since we bekame authors then I am a bit worried.
Also one of the biggest problem I, as an author, been dealing with is acceptance of 4K footages and rejections of the same item but in Full HD version. I have been talking to your support about this and they helped me. Once. But after this, again, the problem persist. I had bathces with 50 4K footages aproved and only 35 or 40 Full HD versions approved. I am loosing time to write every time to support and also this gets frustrating when you have to do this repetetly so I just gave up. But now since every item could make a difference if my port is acceptete or not, how are you going to deal with this? I repeat, this thing happened a couple of times and I am not willing and do not have time to write to support every single time.
And one other thing. Dont youg thing it will ne a good idea to have this ration of approved/rejected items available in the authors profile? I mean if I know that the minimum acceptance ratio is, lets say, 35% and I am at 40% acceptance ratio belive me I would be ten times more carrefully of what I upload and what not. And I think this is the right think to do since right now we are somehow in the dark.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Showing the acceptance ratio in the author’s profile is a great idea and it will keep things more transparent and predictable.
Also how about the soft rejections? Would they be a significant factor in the author’s evaluation or just hard rejections?

1 Like

Is this going to be applied only to Stock Footage and Motion Graphics or also to AE templates?

As mentioned above, you may or may not already have items uploaded in these categories. If you do not, this means that if you would like to in the future, you will need to submit a portfolio for review in the category you are looking to upload items to.

The determination is not based purely on the acceptance of past items but also on the creative direction we’re taking the VideoHive library. In six months you will be able to submit a portfolio for review to re-enable uploads access.

Yes, authors who submit a portfolio for review and who pass that review will receive notification and access to be able to upload to that category. Items submitted in a portfolio will be the most weighted aspects of a review. We may take into account an authors previous history.

We’re continually exploring ways to inform authors of how they are doing as it relates to their uploading and approval ratios. However, it is important for authors to know and understand our requirements and be careful as they upload too. Many authors do this and the authors that are paying close attention to our content requirements, watch what types of items are accepted and understand the creative direction the library is going will see their items reviewed and approved for sale more quickly.

An item that is soft rejected many times requires more time than an item that is hard rejected once. Soft rejections do factor into these decisions.

We’re rolling this out in stages but it will eventually be applied to all authors across VideoHive.

Sign me up for the ‘space’ category… I sometimes make some stuff for that one.

3 Likes

Any specific reason why?

This is not what I was asking. Right now I am a videohive contributor with stock footage. In the next period my portofolio will be reviewed, if I understand correctly. If I past, if my port is ok and passes your inspection, do I get an e-mail telling me that? Or I get an e-mail only if my upload rights are revoked for 6 months?

So does it means that I might receive an email saying that I will have to provide an AE portfolio before i can submit AE templates (i’ve only uploaded 1 once and got rejected hehe) ?
Can you please explain what a “portfolio” consists in and how is it going to be reviewed? How many files do you want to review? Let’s say I want to start to create logo stings, do I need to send 1 logo sting and if it pass the test I’m free to upload other templates otherwise see you in 6 months? Don’t you think that 6 months it’s a bit more of a punishement rather than some useful time to understand your requirements? I’m already freaking out before uploading templates because I might face a 6 months ban!

4 Likes

Is that even legal ? It is likely that the Antimonopoly service should be interested in your application. This is unequal access to the market.

Its just a bit funny and ironic - “are you collaborating with peers… this post is for you!” “Register for euro tour meet up now!” “You have earned 7 years badge!” “We have chosen you to becone elements author!” … “your uploads have been suspended”

Its just… i cant find the right words. Harsh? Friendly fire? Dodgy?

I mean… technically its kinda right but in moral perspective envato is just becoming a bit like dictator.

I have been working for a year and a half on the template I am about to release and I was psichologically crushed by that email. I actually couldnt sleep all night.

2 Likes

My apologies for misunderstanding your original question. At the moment, we are only notifying authors whose upload permissions are being suspended.

A portfolio is generally a representative sample of the kinds of items you would like to upload and sell on VideoHive. In this case, we’re limiting access at the category level. We’re starting with Motion Graphics and Stock Footage but the plan is to roll this out to all authors on VideoHive across all categories.

So, if you are interested in selling stock footage items, a portfolio should consist of a representative sample of the kinds of items you would like to upload. We’re looking to see adherence to our content requirements and an understanding of what is commercially viable and in line with the creative direction of the VideoHive library.

This is part of our effort to reduce the review queues and ensure that we’re investing as much time as we can in authors with the proven ability to meet or exceed our content requirements. When we invest time and resources in authors who consistently fail to meet our requirements, it takes away from authors who consistently do meet our requirements.

All authors can avoid upload access limits by owning their part in submitting items they are confident meet our requirements, are likely to sell and that match the creative direction of the VideoHive library.

All authors must meet our content requirements before their items are available for sale. We’re introducing a category level screening step to ensure that our review time is invested more on authors who have demonstrated their ability to meet those requirements, speeding up the process and getting their items available for sale as soon as possible.

I understand the apprehension. As we’ve mentioned in the initial post, even if you have never uploaded an item to some categories, we are limiting access. This is to ensure that those authors with permission to upload have proven their ability to meet or exceed our content requirements. It doesn’t mean new authors won’t be able to upload, it just means that in order to do so, they will have to show they can meet or exceed the content requirements for the category they’d like to upload to.

It’s highly unlikely the Antimonopoly service (or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the US Federal Trade Commission) would have any interest in this. Yes, it is unequal access to the market, but there’s nothing wrong with unequal access to the market in most instances.

If there were two people who had exactly the same circumstances who were treated differently, and given different levels of access, then that would be an issue… but this is a new rule that everyone needs to follow.

All my analogies seem to be nightclub related, but they usually work…

Imagine a nightclub posts on their website “we’re changing the rules, you can’t wear trainers any more. Need to be smart shoes or you won’t be let in.”

That is unequal access to the club. If you’ve got smart shoes on you can go in, if you’ve got trainers on… you can’t. But the rule is equal, that’s the important thing.

… no comment

@jamesgiroux I am worried upfront. It is my full time job. And those who get suspended are they able to update items ? I mean current portfolio items, like After Effects.

Imagine you’ve got trainers on and the club tells you to come back in 6 months because you don’t even know how to dress properly and you need time to understand their policies, would you take it easily and be like “oh ok, I can’t wait to buy a fresh pair of smart shoes and come back to these beautiful place… see you in November guys!!” :joy:

1 Like

Well the trainers analogy works for why it’s ok to limit access under certain circumstances… thankfully you seem to have already recognised that it doesn’t work in the slightest for what you’re talking about.

Sure, it’s ok to have rules that people have to follow, it’s the 6 months ban that it’s just unlogical, you can change your shoes and go back to the same club the week after, or 2 weeks after or 1 month after…not 6 months! 6 months it’s a huge amount of time that would demotivate mostly anyone!

4 Likes