Changes to the refund, dispute and ratings system on ThemeForest and CodeCanyon

This is not really a problem. I didn’t see anyone do so yet and even if they did, buying the item gives you the right to rate it however you want. It’s better with public reviews, previously they could rate it one star, give a stupid reason and no one would know why you really got 1 star.

And, with the marketplace being so large, it’s impossile for one person to alter the ratings of all the competing items, unless he spends thousands of dollars doing it.

Why would envato remove a 1 star rating for a genuine bug the buyer encountered? If you fix the bug it’s up to the buyer whether he will change his rating or not.

You know, in real life, it is said that you only have one chance to make a first impression. If it’s not good it will be hard to change it afterwards. Maybe the client needed the item in that specific day and because of the bug he couldn’t use it. Maybe he was deciding between your item and another and chose yours only to see that bug afterwards.Would’t you be upset and give a bad rating?

PS: here is another bug (the menu doesn’t stick to top) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But we also need to rest. Be honest, in real life if you go over the weekend outside the city, would you take the laptop with you and answer to support questions Saturday night because the client needed the item in that specific day?

4 Likes

I didn’t say anything about your response time, only that the item had a bug, the client saw that bug and he rated accordingly. For some buyers it doesn’t matter that you fixed or you will fix the bug afterwards, their mind and ratings have been decided and you can’t do anything to fix it. I’m not saying that the buyer is always right, but that each buyer has his own personality and not everyone does the just thing to do or rate the items how you would. This is how the world works and unless you accept it you will never be able to accept a bad rating.

Getting bad ratings usually motivates me to make sure that the next buyer will not encounter the same bug/problem, even if the problem was something the buyer did not something lacking in my item.

So, be happy :slight_smile:
Have a nice day!

3 Likes

Is there a place where we can see a history of approved/declined refunds?

1 Like

@andrewfreeman there is a bug in refunds probably related to time zones. Customer purchased the item 3 hours ago (according to the customer’s purchase history) but in refund request summary the ‘purchase date’ and ‘request sent’ is 11 hours ago.

Exactly this will happen, unfortunately.

This can be true…

But when the buyer gives a 2 stars rating talking about a vague featureA that’s not working, then contacts you saying that in fact it’s featureB or featureC that’s not working but he can’t be sure or send screenshots because he doesn’t have time to try the product, then…things become suspicious.

And above everything, you tell him about the possibility to refund his purchase, but surprise :slight_smile: he is not interested :dizzy_face::open_mouth:

@matthewcoxy

What do we do in the case of something in the theme not working due to their hosting restrictions?

e.g My one click demo installer some times doesn’t work for GoDaddy hosting due to them just being really crap. The user requests a refund because it didn’t work but he didn’t create a ticket as he was on a deadline and needed it done “TODAY”. Are we responsible for the buyers deadlines?

Good question. I had same situation recently with GoDaddy server although it was not problem with my theme but with plugin that theme is integrated with. I offered customer help and contacted plugin author for help with plugin and I know plugin author is responsive about questions.

But customer didn’t want to give me time at least one or two days so I can see what is going on. I got one star rating. Funny thing, theme has been purchased one month ago but customer didn’t check that on time.

I also got some blackmail emails before rating that I currently trying to use as proof for removing rating.

May I give you 1 star for the project?

Now I want to see if Envato really attends expectations about ratings and authors protection. :wink:

@andrewfreeman I found a bug, not sure if its already known to others. I can see several customers who got refunds for our themes, but their comments still have “Purchased” badge that makes confusion. Can you please check on this?

Can you please mention where we can see customers who got refunds? I’m not able to find such option.

There’s no such function I think, I was able to confirm their refunds while contacting with Envato support team.

Thank you!

Isn’t it possible to check on Statement ( http://prntscr.com/bdpupb : Author dashboard >> Statement >> Sale Refund )? I do this way. I am not sure if I am doing the right way.
if you click credit note numbers, you can check the details of buyers.

Thanks - I’ll check it out. Do you have a specific example?

Yesterday I got another refund request who has GoDaddy hosting with low configuration which isn’t matching our recommended host configuration. Buyer raised a refund request in 7 hrs after purchase. I spend at least 45 mins. to fix his hosting issues. Thank you ENVATO using us and turned as a slave of customers.

1 Like

Too much but I can not post all of them? Just an example here.

how many refund requests that you are getting? with me, it’s about 1 request in 3-5 days ( when I launch a new item ). I tried to decline 1 times, and then got 1 star right after 3 minutes :head_bandage: ( All of the requests’ reason is silly, and I always had the feeling that buyers are abusing )

I probably will not care to refund requests, and after 5 days it will be processed automatically :joy: :sweat_smile: :sweat: :cry: :fearful: :scream: