Changes to the refund, dispute and ratings system on ThemeForest and CodeCanyon

I agree on the solution you have provided, now wondering if they decide to do something like that.

Yes you can tell if itā€™s been downloaded with the new tool! :slight_smile:

Can refunds be initiated by the author? There are some buyers that are just impossible to talk/work with and Iā€™d like to get rid of them.

3 Likes

Please, donā€™t do that.
I am getting headache when thinking of what this change will lead.

Less workload for Envato and more workload for authors, but their cut remains the sameā€¦ I love these new taxes, features, and improvements.

From what Iā€™ve talked to @matthewcoxy today, only a buyer can initiate a refund request. Authors can only contact support in these cases.

Well about that 1 star rating that we got, we got a final answer

I am writing to give you an update regarding your comment removal request.

Our Help Leaders have provided their decision and I regretfully inform you that the request was declined. I know this experience has not been very ideal for you, but because of the circumstances surrounding your request, I can only do so much. We can only remove a rating comment if it has violated the policy. Also, please be aware that we remove ratings solely based on the comment left by the user.

I understand that it may not feel fair on your end and I sympathize. Please take note that these types of incidents are not isolated with you and there are others who have had similar requests but were also declined. I sincerely hope you understand that there is just so much that I can do.

If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to get back to me.

And it is clear from this section of review ā€œuseless theme unless I re-purchase supportā€ after 6 month and no support tickets opened and a perfect 19 x 5 star ratings we got this.

So to conclude, now its going to be waaaay scarier :slight_smile: Just giving you the heads up.

5 Likes

@Anps I got the same respond several times in past mate! Envato doesnā€™t cooperate on removal rating requests.

I think itā€™s going to be better. Hereā€™s why.

We too had a lot of false, biased, unfounded and simply lying reviews. I tried exchanging a lot of emails with Envatoā€™s support providing evidence and i got the same message as you did. The key here is that the message matters, not the cause. If the review is not violating the policy, itā€™ll stay there. I donā€™t like this neither but thatā€™s the reality.

So if the review wonā€™t be removed, our only weapon to try solving the problem and also protect our reputation, is to:

• have the review transparent and public, for other potential buyers to see what caused that 1 star bad review
  • reply to that review publicly for potential buyers to see your position on that claim.

All this is now possible and it can only help us to build better trust and keep ourselves protected as well as the buyer too. Keep in mind that this is a buyerā€™s tool too. Hereā€™s a recent video i watched a few days ago in regards to ā€œdesign for trustā€ by AirBNBā€™s cofounder Joe Gebbia https://youtu.be/16cM-RFid9U?t=7m38s . Reputation is key!

In the last couple of months since we can reply to reviews, i turned a lot of 1 stars into 4 or 5 stars, but some of them remained 1 star and havenā€™t heard back from the buyer, which is really frustrating. Unfortunately we can only reply once so i have to choose my words wisely.

However now, having the reviews public, we can defend ourselves from false accusations simply by replying to them and explaining why heā€™s wrong and our item is working properly. At least that false accusation will be ā€œcanceledā€ in the eyes of a potential buyer.

For true 1 stars reviews ( yeah weā€™re humans and we sometimes make mistakes), letā€™s first assume ourselves a bad review if we deserve it, and then reply with apologies, and as much as possible try to solve the dispute. Letā€™s just hope the buyer is human and understands.

So i believe now having a public and transparent review board will build more trust and reputation. Keep in mind that there are over 10.000.000 items on Envato Market and there needs to be a truly arbitrating differentiator between items, beside their looks and built-in features.

4 Likes

Are the reviews posted in May already publicly visible? Where can I see them?

Since the review box contain the text: ā€œYour response will be publicly visible.ā€, I got a bad rating almost each day in May.

Hey folks,

Looks like there havenā€™t been any more new questions in a while, so weā€™re going to stop actively monitoring this thread.

Feel free to keep the discussion going :slight_smile:

itā€™s looks like envato is no more willing to answer the questions asked in this thread

like or not, this feature will be released soon. I hope, envato give time period for refund policyā€¦ I dont want to see buyer make request refund for my item that they bought 5 years ago.

1 Like

@matthewcoxy
Please allow authors to initiate a refund too. If weā€™re responsible for refunds, weā€™d like to be responsible in full.

And whatā€™s that about not being able to disclose our policy in item descriptions ? Why the cluck weā€™re not allowed to tell buyers up front our refund policy ?

1 Like

Youā€™ll have the option to deny the refund request even after 1 day. I donā€™t think that should be an issue :wink:

Hey folks,

This is just a quick announcement to let you know that as of today weā€™re rolling out the first of these changes.

From today onwards, the following will be live:

A tool through which authors and customers can process refund requests on the Envato platform. For an overview of the tool, check out this article.

Authors are now able to directly manage a customerā€™s refund request, and are responsible for the decision to approve, or decline a discretionary refund.

When an author approves a refund, Envato and the author will divide the cost of the refund in the same way revenue is divided for a sale.

When an author approves a refund, the customerā€™s rating for that item purchase will be removed, along with the customerā€™s rights to use and download the item.

Customers will now be able to raise a dispute with Envato if the refund request is declined or if the request has not been actioned within 5 days

Shortly, we will be rolling out the final change in this body of work, which is making all future ratings and reviews public. We will alert you when this final change goes live in the next week or so.

Additionally, there have been some edits made to the Envato Market Refund Rules since it was published in the original post to recognise the EU Consumer Directive as well as some minor edits to the Envato Market and Author Terms to reflect these changes.

3 Likes

Also possible, allow codecanyon authors to decide the pricing as well. It will be a real boost for your company as well as for the developers as well. For example, your pricing team gives $15 for a particular game which looks like an insult to the hard word done by the developer. If an author want the price to be somewhat affordable to the buyers as well, for example, setting it at $30 or $35, there will be lots of authors coming up with their good products and same with the buyers to purchase quality codes.

Thanks,
Sandy

3 Likes

The Time Is not working Perfect
I was just checking it. i just received the refund req but it shows 7 hours ago.

here showing correct time

Also possible, allow codecanyon user to decide the pricing as wellā€¦

No please, this would be a terrible option. The market would collapse within a week or so, because of price cutting. This change would put most authors out of business in no time.