Category page experiment update & new Category page design for WordPress

Just take a look at the new items block on the category page for WordPress:

It’s super effective, isn’t it? So many sales for new items!

2 Likes

There is no motivation to make new templates. Hope it will end as soon as possible.Three days nothing is for sale ((

9 Likes

This is heartbreaking :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Envato has pushed the author to go to other markets.

1 Like

Envato did a huge mistake… They start worldwide tour in the summer. So all your questions you may ask to them personally. And there will be no chance for them to hide.:wink:

6 Likes

It’s rather permanent change.

So I’ve been seeing this drama unfold for last two months, thinking, why is envato so hellbent on pissing off so many authors at the cost of a mere 5%(or even 20%) improved conversion, which might not even be because of this experiment. These guys up top drawing heavy paychecks cannot be so dumb.

So how many birds they tryna hit with one stone? #NOSHITSHERLOCK

1. From so many one sided decisions after the US shift, it’s clear that they don’t want hoards of items to be uploaded anymore. They cannot deter authors directly, so this is one indirect yet effective, diplomatic way to discourage authors.
  2. It addresses the users’ pain point of too many choices. [Hick’s Law]. Although I could go on about how the new WP page design too is not so fond of this law but that’s for some other time.
  3. Less items uploaded= Less resources in the review process + Maintenance = Lots of Money saved.
  4. Of course slight improved conversion which may die off in the long run. But that’s A/B material.
  5. More targeted & fruitful marketing campaigns as the item group goes smaller.

So what’s to come? Just short of uttering the exact words, Envato has long been indicating that their platform cannot be used to feed everyone & their families anymore. They want less people to share the pie with. Old-af items will be deleted in the future. Items that didn’t sell will be deleted. The library of Citadel will be cleared off of the forgotten books.

Only the highest of quality of items will be approved. If such an item still gets buried, focusing the marketing on it will be easier.

5 Likes

Some years ago items with suspicious quality are not accepted and the author had hard work to make items approved, since it was open Elements and Placeit on the Market the quality level has dropped…If highest of quality is the objective they just had to continue as before…not to say that most of the “best sellers” items does not work properly in newer versions of software because they are old for several years and new items will not reach this sale in this way.

Let’s have some more free discussion on this Slack Channel

4 Likes

It is not super. It looks homepage of themeforest. These sales are temporary. What happens after 2-3 days? How does a customer find if they are just looking for a bussiness template? Don’t forget each customer search items from categories. That’s why Envato must switch sort filter to NEWEST ITEMS.

2 Likes

that is called sarcasm

Just visited the page ThemeForest category WordPress i think It looks very cool! But! in categories sort by best sales i think it’s wrong way, customers is looking for something fresh but he saw old projects and only best sellers.

2 Likes

Great Idea! How do you keep others away?

How about this as an idea? Stay clear of the Free Files of the Month thread. No submissions whatsoever.

I hope AJ will always experience difficulties without harming the authors. In fact, thanks to the clients of the AJ for using the resource in such a way that they didn’t have to change anything, they are just great.

I think we need to start an online petition. Just writing here isn’t enough when they are clearly ignoring us and waiting for the reactions to just die down.

5 Likes

Yes we can thank the customers or maybe we should thank the search engine for not evolving, therefore making new items more interesting… :slight_smile:

It seems customers at AJ are overfed with best sellers, which is not surprising at all. Over saturation is so high at AJ nowadays that it is near to impossible to create new best sellers in the long run. In the high traffic genres you have a day or half a day in the first page of the category pages? Regardless over saturation is our problem number 1 at AJ.

Therefore you end up with the same old items dominating year after year. Not very helpful for attracting customers, at least not when it comes to music. Looks like the other markets are heading towards the same counter productive strategy.

4 Likes

Yes I am a Videohive author but heard lot about Avada. After their change to popular items category ,newest items over a weeks time are without any sale on Videohive, this has never happened before.

2 Likes

So, how is this going to be played ? We all are going to speak up, feel better that there was some space to whine and get back to our lives because frankly no one from Envato cares enough to answer? Maybe one of the officials will find the honesty to say that’s the case or maybe just close this thread? Otherwise, 2 replies with laughable statistics were all we have got so far.

Brilliant community spirit we have here, keep up the great job, Envato! Judging from your answers, I am surprised you don’t use AI bots to post your threads yet, such a waste of valuable resources!

6 Likes