Category page experiment update & new Category page design for WordPress

Envato 2019 - Experiment year!

Just expectation!

The default sorting (new items) will not come back again!
Bestseller sorting will not forever!

What is coming ??

Blocks design

Pages and the categories will include a series of blocks (new, fast selling, trend, best selling,…etc),

As a new author, I hope to create a new category (New items) such as popular items

1 Like

Did they collect enough data from the new Category design?

I am currently working on a wordpress theme for about 1.5 years and when its done, i am definitely not going to upload it. Envato stop playing with our dreams :’(

6 Likes

I am guessing that Envato team thinks they collected enough items for all seven markets, and they are just focusing on the best selling (most profitable) ones. that is it.

6 Likes

Almost 200 replies and 7 days later, they still can’t be bothered to leave a single comment here.

9 Likes

The same theme with 594 posts was closed without an answer !!!
https://forums.envato.com/t/category-page-experiments/220182/643
This looks they ignored authors posts.

6 Likes

First ask yourself when problems on Market have started (when the Elements are open) and everything is directed there not to mention banners that will not be removed…I do not know why someone is expecting some important answer here from Envato, if they wanted they could communicate with the authors earlier, now exist important “best sellers authors” and others…
But there is one important thing, Envato depends on authors but all authors should stop upload and remove items on Elements unfortunately there is no other way…it will quickly become boring the same “best items”, only money and subscription loss on Elements can bring improvement for Market otherwise there will never be better here.
The world has become a place where only profit is important so here too, nobody cares how many authors and their families live from this market, they make stupid decisions over night for a short profit and always hurts authors.
Some authors may not agree but it needs start from first thing which started wrong and this is just another in the a row and certainly not the last…

9 Likes

Themeforest will be close if they stand on this decision. Themeforest should remember all items are Authors and Should respect to All Authors

4 Likes

guys why are silent envato team?why they do not respond to the wave of indignation?
ABSOLUTE disrespecting(

7 Likes

Just take a look at the new items block on the category page for WordPress:

It’s super effective, isn’t it? So many sales for new items!

2 Likes

There is no motivation to make new templates. Hope it will end as soon as possible.Three days nothing is for sale ((

9 Likes

This is heartbreaking :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Envato has pushed the author to go to other markets.

1 Like

Envato did a huge mistake… They start worldwide tour in the summer. So all your questions you may ask to them personally. And there will be no chance for them to hide.:wink:

6 Likes

It’s rather permanent change.

So I’ve been seeing this drama unfold for last two months, thinking, why is envato so hellbent on pissing off so many authors at the cost of a mere 5%(or even 20%) improved conversion, which might not even be because of this experiment. These guys up top drawing heavy paychecks cannot be so dumb.

So how many birds they tryna hit with one stone? #NOSHITSHERLOCK

1. From so many one sided decisions after the US shift, it’s clear that they don’t want hoards of items to be uploaded anymore. They cannot deter authors directly, so this is one indirect yet effective, diplomatic way to discourage authors.
  2. It addresses the users’ pain point of too many choices. [Hick’s Law]. Although I could go on about how the new WP page design too is not so fond of this law but that’s for some other time.
  3. Less items uploaded= Less resources in the review process + Maintenance = Lots of Money saved.
  4. Of course slight improved conversion which may die off in the long run. But that’s A/B material.
  5. More targeted & fruitful marketing campaigns as the item group goes smaller.

So what’s to come? Just short of uttering the exact words, Envato has long been indicating that their platform cannot be used to feed everyone & their families anymore. They want less people to share the pie with. Old-af items will be deleted in the future. Items that didn’t sell will be deleted. The library of Citadel will be cleared off of the forgotten books.

Only the highest of quality of items will be approved. If such an item still gets buried, focusing the marketing on it will be easier.

5 Likes

Some years ago items with suspicious quality are not accepted and the author had hard work to make items approved, since it was open Elements and Placeit on the Market the quality level has dropped…If highest of quality is the objective they just had to continue as before…not to say that most of the “best sellers” items does not work properly in newer versions of software because they are old for several years and new items will not reach this sale in this way.

Let’s have some more free discussion on this Slack Channel

4 Likes

It is not super. It looks homepage of themeforest. These sales are temporary. What happens after 2-3 days? How does a customer find if they are just looking for a bussiness template? Don’t forget each customer search items from categories. That’s why Envato must switch sort filter to NEWEST ITEMS.

2 Likes

that is called sarcasm