Can you make a living on VideoHive?

GrizzleFX said

…As a high school student I hope that at some point in my life I’ll learn how to make wordpress themes…

You are not alone bro :D But I dont know how to get started in this area.:/ If someone can help me, please send me a mail XD
addeystock said
didgi said
placdarms said

I have 120sales a month on average and that’s enough to live quite wealthy life here.

The money i get for 120 sales is about what i need to spend on food per month.So, no wealthy life here with that amount of money.

In our country more than 100 sales is enough to live a wealthy life :wink:

Damn, I have to move to India I guess :wink:

comeero said
addeystock said
didgi said
placdarms said

I have 120sales a month on average and that’s enough to live quite wealthy life here.

The money i get for 120 sales is about what i need to spend on food per month.So, no wealthy life here with that amount of money.

In our country more than 100 sales is enough to live a wealthy life :wink:

Damn, I have to move to India I guess :wink:

You are welcome :slight_smile:

In My Country … To Make A Living From VH :

• You Need To Have 2 Top Author Accounts
  • About 5 Items In The "Popular Files Of The Week"
  • At Least 3 Items In The "3 Month Top Sellers"
  • Upload A Project Every Other Day
  • And Get Featured Once A Month
  • Conclusion…? " To Make A Living From VideoHive In Greece , You Have To Be A No Lifer ", But Then; Whats The Point ? Tragic Irony…

• -Ok , Just Kidding, About 200 Sales Per Month Sould Be Fine ! (Food, Tax, Bonus Tax, Extra Bonus Tax, Additional Extra Bonus Tax,):P

Ohh I see, Greece and Spain are the same: high crisis and high taxes… Here goverment gets 20 % of your international earnings + 250 € / month for medical insurance.

Azuzen said

Ohh I see, Greece and Spain are the same: high crisis and high taxes… Here goverment gets 20 % of your international earnings + 250 € / month for medical insurance.

I’d dare to say the same about Romania, minus the crisis, which apparently nobody wants to accept as a status, although the population clearly suffers from the same issues as our Spanish and Greek brothers.

Yes, some would say that our cost of living is low, but then again, with our country striving to fully adhere to the EU, the salaries tend to stagnate, while the prices of food, gas, and utilities has been on constant rise for the past 8 years, and we’re not so far behind our older counterparts.

So I’d say you’d need about 150+ sales to have a decent worry-free life. Of course if you also want to enjoy it, bump another 50 for the pleasures of life haha

Hi All

I am new to this forum and am looking to see if I can make extra cash. I need advise as a beginner on which application i can learn to make a good project.

Thanks

isaac2k2 said

Hi All

I am new to this forum and am looking to see if I can make extra cash. I need advise as a beginner on which application i can learn to make a good project.

Thanks

Hi Isaac, Welcome :slight_smile:

First, you must know that creating motion graphics is not all about application knowledge.

Sure, you need to learn the techniques to create everything, but you also need to build-up your creativity.
Also, if you’re not familiar with Video in general, you need to learn all the basic principles: Resolution, Frame Rate, Pixels, Levels etc…

The main application used in VideoHive is Adobe After Effects. There is a recent post about good After-Effects tutorials here

When you feel comfortable with After-Effects, start exploring the world of motion graphics:

• Watch projects here in VideoHive, explore what you like and what you don't like.
  • Search for motion graphics showreels in YouTube & Vimeo, see what's possible to achieve with AE
  • I always get inspiration from TV-Shows: the opening titles, banners, commercials...
  • Make projects for practicing, get used to creative thinking. Tickle your brain :)
  • Learn how to create an After-Effects file that is customizable, so buyers can insert their content inside.

Finally, pick a category you think is best for you to start with: logo stings, slideshows, title sequences, typography adverts etc…there are tons of options - don’t limit yourself…

And make a template!

As I said in the beginning, if you wanna work in motion graphics, you need to feel it and embrace it and not look at it as “extra cash”…love what you do :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,

GT.

isaac2k2 said

Hi All

Thanks

Hi Isaak,

If you’re a beginner, you’ll need to realise that you’re going to be up against a lot of motion graphics veterans here in the marketplaces. If your main impetus is to make some extra cash, then I’d suggest that as a complete beginner, Videohive is not the place. It will be very time-consuming and possibly frustrating in terms of rejections / sales. The vast majority of files don’t sell that well. Those that do are much more visible, and so can warp your perception of the marketplace rather.

On the other hand, if you want to learn a new skill, while prospectively making some pocket money, then this is absolutely the right place for you. You’ll find links to all manner of resources, a great community of helpful and like-minded people with a lot of shared knowledge between them. And making motion graphics is fulfilling and fun.

If you have any kind of related experience, in art, design, photography or film editing, for instance - or a natural flair for design and movement, then you already have an advantage. You’ll take to After Effects like a duck to water.

-felt.

Hi Isaak,

If you’re a beginner, you’ll need to realise that you’re going to be up against a lot of motion graphics veterans here in the marketplaces.

Completely agree with you :)

Hello everyone just caught up with the topic. I also feel like we authors need to make our own marketing through the web. ( and I am sure everyone is doing already) I do it for the time being using social Media, like Facebook, youtube, vimeo, Linkedin, Pinterest and Twitter. Probably everyone will hate me soon for sharing my projects constantly online haha :slight_smile: I am wondering if there are any other tools that are being used by other authors to increase the traffic.

Regards.

Many thanks Guys for the replies and advise. I certainly have the desire for effects and motion graphics and I have lots of great ideas I want to bring to Life so working hard on this.

I have a question around the software license. A family friend who is also into design bought AE and gave me to use for training. Am I allowed to submit projects while using his license copy even though he isn’t bothered?

Thanks

Hmm… Tough question for me to ask.

Can you make a living on VideoHive?

I can, but with some other websites:)

Envato 70% - other (not allowed to link), yes I can…

Isaac,

I came onto Videohive in a similar fashion: I had little experience with After Effects but I wanted to make some cash. Working with Videohive has been a great experience for me because I have learned so much from the reviewers and other authors, and of course, I have made some extra money. If you’re going to try to submit files, be prepared for rejection, it took me a good six months before my files began to get approved on a regular basis.

Good luck!

This message it is for all the people who have still imagination left in their brains. I can tell you that I have started working with VIDEOHIVE as a novice in After Effects but I was having a good knowledge in editing plus a lot of dreams to share. I have seen a few projects here and I said to myself that I can do better, so I start working and working to learn AE and I am still learning and I will never stop and I show up here with my first project, unexpactable accepted. I had few sales with that one and I said to myself that I have to work more and more to became ONE and it is still long way till then but I will never give up. So, keep the faith, give yourself a try, but till the moment you are that ONE don’t give up to your primary job and stay just a freelancer.

I think there are many authors who show and prove one can make a living at Videohive. However, if the dollar takes priority over the artistry and learning experience, then it becomes the process of trying to re-invent successful projects, rather than work hard and invent something new for themselves and the market. I do not care how long a project takes me to complete. Nor do I care about how much money I make per project. I do care about challenging myself for each project I do and trying to move out of the “Template Creation” mindset.

I’ve been blessed with always having a super busy and chaotic production schedule outside of the Hive. But, what the Hive give me is peace and relaxation. The Hive and the projects I make are for animators, editors, designers all in mind. And truly, each project should be a journey. From concept to creation. I always learn something new, regardless if I have been using programs like AE since 4.1 (perhaps I am showing my age). But, to be inspired by others, and try to create something to inspire back, is a good formula for finding success. Lastly, what drew me to actually make some After Effects goodies was to be apart of an amazing community. Truly incredible people, incredible artists, incredible works. So, this should not feel like work or a job. So, love what you are doing, love why you are doing it, and money will come.

PHANTAZMA said

I think there are many authors who show and prove one can make a living at Videohive. However, if the dollar takes priority over the artistry and learning experience, then it becomes the process of trying to re-invent successful projects, rather than work hard and invent something new for themselves and the market. I do not care how long a project takes me to complete. Nor do I care about how much money I make per project. I do care about challenging myself for each project I do and trying to move out of the “Template Creation” mindset.

I’ve been blessed with always having a super busy and chaotic production schedule outside of the Hive. But, what the Hive give me is peace and relaxation. The Hive and the projects I make are for animators, editors, designers all in mind. And truly, each project should be a journey. From concept to creation. I always learn something new, regardless if I have been using programs like AE since 4.1 (perhaps I am showing my age). But, to be inspired by others, and try to create something to inspire back, is a good formula for finding success. Lastly, what drew me to actually make some After Effects goodies was to be apart of an amazing community. Truly incredible people, incredible artists, incredible works. So, this should not feel like work or a job. So, love what you are doing, love why you are doing it, and money will come.

Your items show that you speak the truth here

Creattive said
PHANTAZMA said

Your items show that you speak the truth here

Thanks Creattive! I know I don’t speak much on the forums. But when I do, I try to speak the truth. :slight_smile:
But!!! I do speak much on the comments log for every comment thrown my way! So, with that said, I do feel replying, whether individually or to all, comments authors give, takes a few seconds. Not saying to reply to every comment individually. But popping in and thanking everyone does show your gratitude, respect and appreciation to others. Nothing annoys me more when I do not see 1 sort of reply, giving thanks to the positive comments given. This comes with the smallest projects to some of the most popular projects on the Hive. Outside the hive, its normal for me to be in the midst of travel and working on a half a dozen projects at once, be it filming, editing or animating. Yet, I find the time to respond and show my gratitude. I just feel showing no response here and there is pure ignorance. But thats just my two cents, and figured I would drop two more cents in.

Not sure if you are referring to me here, cause I don’t always leave a thank you for comments on my items. But when there are only the “usual suspects”, who are commenting every project in the hive, I don’t feel like giving a thank you as that would be as nonsense as their “great project”, probably without watching the preview.

Just my opinion. There are great people in this community but not all that shines is gold.

1 Like