Can you make a living on VideoHive?

When I went to VH, I was unemployed. No, sometimes were private commissions - design in printing, photographing weddings, but very rarely. Therefore, the main income come from VH, since March 2010. :slight_smile:

Interesting thread....it demonstrates that it all depends on where you live. And digging a little bit deeper, it's about the globalisation of the media industry.

I have lived and worked in London and Berlin (mainly London). You couldn’t survive on $500 a month in either of those cities. In London, you need minimum $750 a month just to cover your rent and only at around $30,000 a year can you start talking about a comfortable income. (probably equivalent to 500 sales per month on VH). Berlin is quite a lot cheaper, but still you wouldn’t get far on $500 a month.

On the downside, what you lose out on with a career producing stock is access to big budget or high-end jobs, contact with clients, working with and learning from a team of people with different skills / more experience than you, a reel and experience that might ultimately lead to art director / creative director position. Most employers and freelance clients will be looking closely at what you’ve worked on (and stock doesn’t really count).

On the plus-side, working on your own, from home, being your own boss, following your own creative path, your own timetable and not being so answerable to the vagaries of clients is a very desirable thing. There’s a great community here and the speculative nature of Videohive is a great buzz too if you’re in to that kind of thing.

I would also consider one more thing before diving in as a full time Videohiver. That is that in 1 year, the number of project files has leapt from around 200 to around 1500. I don’t perceive that the client base has moved as quickly. It is becoming noticeably harder to make a mark here. My point is that the landscape is changing extremely rapidly… and not just for VH, but for stock and the media world in general. We see things today that would have been unthinkable just a few short years ago… and more unthinkable is just round the corner.

-f.

Felt good conclusion, the fact is that everything changes rapidly, the question is how the authors are able and willing to follow up that tempo? On the other hand as far as I noticed at the VideoHive forum for these 3 months there is a very small number of authors that are written, in general, it not all about money, it is necessary to find a balance between the “downside” and the “plus side”. There is one thing, we generally do not know who are our customers? For example, if someone came to VH to buy a project to learn how After Effects is logical that it will take a simpler project to try to understand the basics of how something is done. If someone came up to take a project for television means that person already know basics and it will buy advanced project. I personaly see myself on videohive as long as I can to follow the needs of market.

Anyway Videohive for me is a very serious market in which you need to invest a lot of time but are worth at least for a country where I live.

felt_tips, in your opinion, what do you think is the future of VideoHive. I am talking from the authors perspective. With so many projects being uploaded at such a fast rate, do you think it will become easier or more harder to make money here?

The future of Videohive is bound up with the future of stock on the net. And that in turn is bound up with the televisualisation of the net. Youtube has only been around for a couple of years, Vimeo even less; only for a couple of years has the expectation existed that you can turn on a computer and look at the world news, the world cup, download a movie or a TV series…or whatever. This is to do in large part with the mass adoption of fast broadband, the huge improvements to processor speeds and video codecs and the ever continuing cheapness of prosumer / consumer video equipment. Camera in your cellphone? Whod’ve thunk it a couple of years back?

As such, I expect the interest in having video ‘content’ on your website will grow exponentially. (just witness the recent explosion of video tutorials). Stock sites stand to do well out of all that. I would expect the requirement for logos, lower thirds and stuff that looks like channel branding might do best. I reserve judgement on the put-your-photos-in-a-cool-presentation type of project. They are a perennial best-seller on VH, but I’m not entirely sure who buys them and what for…I’m guessing corporate clients for largely below-the-line use.

And that brings up the other big issue - whether VH will continue to serve a ‘small user’ demographic or whether it can in some way square up to a more pro market. It will never compete with bespoke in my opinion, but I could easily see professional motion graphic designers and studios popping over to pick up a project fragment or two… a tasty particle preset, a lighting set-up, perhaps a lower third. I think VH might do well to befriend the pro-market in this way.

The number of buyers to the number of authors will always find its balance. If it gets too difficult to make money here, authors will stay away. If it gets easier, they will come in their droves.

Just my bit of analysis… I’m afraid I don’t have a crystal ball.

-f.

I wonder how many years it will cost to have a built in After Effects kind of tool inside a smart phone, that will be even easier to use.

Going a bit off topic though, as you mentioned Ben, the technology moving at an exponential rate. Is this something anyone could see possible? I’m afraid i can.

interesting topic…i know there are a lot of authors living from VH…

Hi, is it still possible to make a living here on videohive? I started videohive last year, my files have increased considerably, but the earnings are quite similar and nothing exceptional… certainly not enough to make a living from… Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone doing this?

NeuronFX said

Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone doing this?

VideoHive’s just not the place, unless like someone said before, you’re in the right country. ThemeForest is where the money’s at.

GrizzleFX said

ThemeForest is where the money’s at.

Makes me wish I knew how to create Wordpress templates! In all honesty though, the earning potential on TF would actually be worth learning how.

Looks like depends from were you live.

For sure for me paying 1200 euros in Rome just for the rent looks impossible to make it out, with video hive.
But on the other side an extra income is always welcome… especially when you have a family.
To move to another country doesn’t sound like a bad idea BTW

I agree, it depends mostly from where you live.
I was living in Thailand since last week and just got back to Italy, the cost of living here is ridicolously high and it would take at least 250 sales per month (AE) for a decent amount of money.
I’d say it also depends from what you sell here, if you sell AE project then you can make good bucks, motion graphics are cheaper but frequent sales, stock footage standard 5$ and lowest demand in the market.
As GrizzleFX stated before, the fastest lane to become a millionaire here is Themeforest!
Mamma mia over there paws have crowns!

MotionRevolver said

Makes me wish I knew how to create Wordpress templates! In all honesty though, the earning potential on TF would actually be worth learning how.

I don’t know how that marketplace works but, in an author interview, they said that they spend like 6-7 hours a day in support for their top-seller items. That is a huge amount of time spent in NON-creative things. It sounds soooo boring! In Videohive it’s a little more easy I guess. I don’t know if Inlife or any other big author has an incredible big amount of support tickets, but I think that the Videohive authors have a little easier life :stuck_out_tongue:

Why i’m working with videohive ?

1. Freedom as ben said
  2. Working anywhere through laptop
  3. I create what i realy like
  4. i learn from awesome people
  5. i know if i put my effort the results will comes

But if someone say to me why not you working somewhere you will get what you want

Nope i have no freedom just becoming ans machine all day long, i can’t able to do work in the park, balcony, restaurants, bar, etc, people always will telling me do this and do that,

And if you need more money why not you just put your effort and learn from big guys and using this formula Action+learning+mistakes=results and if the results comes bad or good it’s all good. because you are on the learning curve you now create a small pathways in your brain and soon it will become more big.

Why do you choose videohive ?

because see the top authors what they do, they are getting lot of sales !

:wink:

1 Like

I leave in a quite expensive country, but I don’t have to pay any rent, I own a house.

I work 5-6 hours a day on motion graphic and videohive, in the weekends I work for a company as forklift driver.

This way I have more money then an unskilled full-time worker.

davidossahdez said
MotionRevolver said

I don’t know how that marketplace works but, in an author interview, they said that they spend like 6-7 hours a day in support for their top-seller items. That is a huge amount of time spent in NON-creative things. It sounds soooo boring! In Videohive it’s a little more easy I guess. I don’t know if Inlife or any other big author has an incredible big amount of support tickets, but I think that the Videohive authors have a little easier life :stuck_out_tongue:

Only in TF you’d find items that sell 10000 times in 6 months…Top authors with more than 50,000 sales, and awards for earning more than 1,000,000 $ :slight_smile: RESPECT.

vaynah said

Don’t leave your job just yet :slight_smile: . Build yourself up here first. In order to make a living you’ll need at least 200 - 250 sales a month. At the moment it is around 10 authors who are pass this limit. And these are really talented authors like InlifeThrill. I’d keep a part-time job on the side. You never know, anything can happened. I mean, if for some reason videohive goes down (let’s pray it doesn’t) then you’d be out of a job alltogether.

So my advice is get yourself to a position where you are making at least 200 sales a month, and then maybe look into leaving your job :slight_smile:

True!

davidossahdez said

True, they deal with an extreme amount of customer support inquiries. But top authors on TF are making enough monthly income to hire full time staff to help with the support. Most templates I’ve bought from TF seem to have at least 2 or 3 employees dealing with support issues or questions regarding their templates.

As a high school student I hope that at some point in my life I’ll learn how to make wordpress themes worthy of ThemeForest, and make some good money from it. Videohive is like a hobby to me, I have always been interested in video and VideoHive has been a great learning experience for me, but I would never consider VideoHive to be my job. It’s nice to get money, but at the moment learning is much more valuable to me than the extra cash.

I live in Malta, and here life is not that cheap… It’s very similar to the UK. I really wish to turn videohive into a living, but it doesn’t seem possible. Though the think is, there are authors who have been here for a year or less… and made a good amount of money, that maybe is enough for a living… but I think this really depends on luck, creativity, market, and knowledge of the author himself. Also one needs to consider promotion. I personally never promoted my items, I don’t know if it helps…

placdarms said

I have 120sales a month on average and that’s enough to live quite wealthy life here.

The money i get for 120 sales is about what i need to spend on food per month.So, no wealthy life here with that amount of money.

didgi said
placdarms said

I have 120sales a month on average and that’s enough to live quite wealthy life here.

The money i get for 120 sales is about what i need to spend on food per month.So, no wealthy life here with that amount of money.

In our country more than 100 sales is enough to live a wealthy life :wink: