Can we "globally" raise the price of all tracks with 5 price entries?

You’ve got to be kidding. There are far worse transgressions that go on here on a daily basis that result in NO punitive action whatsoever. Like authors uploading identical tracks to multiple accounts. Or nearly identical tracks. Or using construction kits as is. And the list goes on.

Again, there is a HUGE difference between an author announcing his pricing strategy and multiple authors COLLUDING on a particular strategy. THAT is what is “prohibited by law” - - - as if it matters.

1 Like

How am I trying to engage in “Price fixing” by publishing what I am going to price my tracks at? I am not encouraging anyone to follow my strategy at all. People will do what they want with pricing strategies and I do not think for one second that my prices are the best solution for all. My prices are what they are because that is where I am setting them at.

Whether I state what they are going to be here in this forum or not is irrelevant. As Soon as I can get through the boring labor of raising my prices, it will be public knowledge where my prices are set. I am quite happy about 49 as the base price…already sold one at that price and it feels amazing to make $36.56 from 1 standard license sale already!..That would have net me $12 yesterday, but today with my new prices I made $36.56 from 1 track sold. You see folks…don’t be ignorant, my thesis already has value. I made one sale and the revenue from that 1 sale already equals revenue from 3 sales from yesterday’s prices. So yes, I can not raise my prices fast enough!

I am not fixing any prices. Everyone go ahead and do as they please. Lower your price into the toilette of nothingness and become a cheap date that no one wants to look at.

Thank you Envato for finally allowing us to do this. You have foolishly screwed yourselves out of millions of dollars in profits these past 8 years because of your ridiculous fixed prices. We finally now have a real market where artists can create their own value and worth.

Again price your works for rich American, Canadian, and European media makers, forget about the lonely, broke film maker from small towns around the world. You want to be here presenting yourself to service big corporations and real production companies with millions and billions in profits. Target those who:

1. Have money and
  2. Want to spend real money to buy perceived higher value.

I say go ahead to all you paranoid Russian and eastern European writers (who also do not join pros) - dump your prices…dump yourself straight down into the toilette of cheap music and try to undercut everyone. That strategy will not work. Isn’t it interesting too how Russian writers sell an awful lot here, but Russian companies NEVER buy music? hmmm…is this just coincidence?

3 Likes

That’s great! I’m happy that your tracks are making you more profit.
It’s up to you what you say here of course. Apologies for sticking my nose in.

No Collusion! And if there was collusion… Collusion is not a crime! End this investigation now!

3 Likes

Thanks for the shout-out, @frozenjazz.
As I demonstrated with my proposal for an improved AudioJungle player, it seriously takes a few lines of code to help us authors automating our time-consuming process or improving how we impact the market with our tracks.
The only problem, here, is Envato’s availability in accepting and implementing our ideas.

1 Like

Hi @SteelSound.

I tried using the “Item Updater for Envato Market” and was more or less successful in bulk-updating my prices.

But… PLEASE BE CAREFUL: I did this for only 18 items and was temporarily cut off by the Envato server for ‘Too Many Requests’ after only 15 items or so. To be on the safe side, I’d suggest only handling 10 URLs at a time…?

So - here’s what you’d have to do in order to bulk-update your prices. Use this AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Install the ‘Item Updater for Envato Market’ Chrome app from here:

2. Go to the app’s page (click on the app’s logo).

3. Enter your username and choose the marketplace in the section ‘Item URL Helper’. Hit ‘Get item URLs’.

4. Copy the URLs you need (or like suggested above only 10 URLs…) and paste them in the field at the top of the page as ‘Item URLs (or Item Edit URLs)’. That’s the items you want to edit.

5. Enter the following into the field for ‘Attribute Names’. (If you copy this text, try to avoid copying extra spaces or extra lines…!).

Music Standard License
Music Broadcast License (1 Million)
Music Mass Reproduction License
Music Broadcast License (10 Million)
Music Broadcast & Film License

6. Enter YOUR OWN prices into the field for ‘Attribute Values’. One price per line - in the same order as the attribute names. In SteelSound’s example case this would be:

7. Check ‘Overwrite Existing Attribute Values’

8. Hit ‘Save Settings’

9. Hit ‘Start Auto-Update’

I hope it’s clear that I in no way want to suggest that anybody should use the example prices. And like I said before: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I only tested this once. I guess it would be a good idea to test this on only 2 or 3 items / URLs before you try bulk-updating more items.

3 Likes

I appreciate this. I took my own early advice which was to fire up 3 computers and just get the work done as fast as possible manually 1 track at a time with 3 of us doing the work. I repriced my catalog in 2 hours, but with 3 of us doing the work. That’s it, I’m done! My prices are now set where I need them to be.

They are set for serious American, Canadian, and European media makers. The prices are fair, still reasonable, but still more in line with “western” economies. So far so good…My revenue this week is better than last months first week of July. I have to give this pricing scheme a good 3 months to see if higher prices will increase my monthly revenue. That’s all that really matters …right? We all want and hope for MORE REVENUE.

I could care less about volume of units sold. I just want to get more monthly revenue than I have in the past.
Even someone from Thailand (not exactly a rich country) today bought a Tier 2 " MUSIC BROADCAST-1 Million viewers" license for $99! That used to be $38 under the old “ENVATO” pricing schedule. This also amounts to selling 5 standard licenses at the old $19 price.

So EVERYONE take notice …it is all about revenue, NOT units sold at lower prices. THINK HARD about your pricing decisions. I do strongly believe that higher prices will increase your monthly revenue. Don’t be paranoid and fearful… be confident in yourself. Place “Value” and “Dignity” on yourself (and your own music) first and foremost.

Frankly, I am really shocked to see the very top selling authors paralyzed and not moving on a price increase…really…just shocking behavior from the lucky stars and chosen one’s in the jungle. I guess they are paranoid that they may lose customers. Totally ridiculous IMHO.

5 Likes

I think what you have written over the past couple of days has really resonated with me and I, like you realise that revenue is more important than having a large number of sales with small return. I think that if an authors portfolio is polished and includes desirable items then raising prices is the way forward. I think that a portfolio that uses template or copycat tracks will struggle with justifying a higher price to buyers. I have always tried to go on the quirky and fun tracks - I know I am not perfect and brilliant because if I were I would have the magic sound that would have sold in huge numbers in the past. I struggle with the corporate sound - impossible for me, so I choose to do something different since there is always space on this marketplace for cartoon fun.

3 Likes

Really disappointed that some highly respected authors have set their prices at $5 this is not a good example to set. I hate this ‘gaming’ the system situation. I have fallen for it in some ways with some track titles that make me cringe but there is no respect these days for fellow musicians with these rock bottom prices. Oh well. If you’re that desperate.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I said this a few times around the forum today, but currently, although a low number of authors (a mix of old timers and newcomers) are experimenting with a few tracks at 5$, 9$ and other low prices, many more musicians are engaged in the process of raising their prices across their entire portfolios.

What the future holds, I don’t know, but the present is certainly made of authors making a bold collective move toward higher prices. I see a refreshing form of respect for the music trade right there. :slight_smile:

Well I suppose it was a sweeping statement!!! It just annoys me though when it’s people who should know better…!

2 Likes

OK! Let’s talk serious and end this - mildly called - experimentinting nonsense! Setting down the price to 5$ or 9$ has nothing to do with “experimenting”: These Authors are acting just straight opportunistic either to reach the Top Authors List or just to push not so good selling items. They are earning nothing(!) by selling their items. It’s like a free file and they are expecting just exposure.

You can call this behaviour whatever you want, but in the end It’s simply another term for price dumping. Even Elite Authors who should know how the licensing around the globe works are selling theirselves too cheap. Please DO NOT copy those price scheme, THESE are not professionals, they are simply either opportunistic or desperate. Shame on them, they should know better.

9 Likes

Experimental word for sure! :crazy_face:

But seriously, I vote for price rising. Already did that where I could and wait eagerly for ADP to be activated for SFX to complete the picture. :metal:

No Flossie, it is not a sweeping statement. When you study what the top 30 selling authors (since AJ Launched in 2007) have done with their prices (Nothing by the way…if anything they are lowering them) it just goes to show you how these folks have no integrity at all. I am perplexed by their decision. I am perplexed by Envatos decision to not have a floor on prices. WHY? That decision is completely ridiculous and irresponsible Collis! Who is advising you?

Perhaps we have to give these “professionals” the benefit of the doubt and give them some time to do the mundane labor, but wow…as of today when you filter Top selling authors, to see where their prices are at it is shocking to see lots of $20’s and 9’s and 5’s.

All I can say is so far so good…My units sold are still on target for my last 3 months trend, but my revenue sure is moving up. Why? Because I am selling at 49 , 99, 299, 599, 999.

Even Lima, Peru (Again not exactly a rich country) paid 49 today.

I do look forward to that first $999 Music and Broadcast sale. It will come eventually.

Can I please remind everyone that large corporations rich with millions and billions in profits do shop for music on these markets. They may not be the direct buyers but their vendors (Post Production companies) are here buying on their behalf.

Price your music for large companies,corporations with budgets to spend on media, they will cringe at $5 because you are a cheap date.

Shame on all of you top authors (who have been around here for 7 to 10 years) with 15,000 sales or more! You have no dignity. You have no respect for yourself or your own music. You show no respect for the art and craft of music for media. Sad, paranoid behavior from all of you. Yes, you should know better.

3 Likes

Well it’s greed isn’t it. :roll_eyes:

Glad things are going well for you, my prices will reflect my worth as a musician and composer too.

I can not decide if it’s greed? or ignorance?

It certainly is stupidity and lacks dignity, integrity, and self worth.

I do realize this is all still fresh news and it may take some time for people to move. But the early signs (from the top selling long time authors with all the promotional favoritism they had handed on a silver platter from Envato) is a move downward with prices. How Pathetic!

“…everyone needs to price their music to USA and European buyers.”

" I suggest targeting professionals if you believe you are a professional. "

Please don’t be so offensive. This is a global market, and here you are calling 90% of the world poor and not good enough for you.

I think you are trying to justify your prices here and make other authors follow your path. You are calling other authors paranoid, but it seems to me you are the one who’s paranoid. This is why you write multiple posts where you encourage authors to set prices high as you did, and talking really offensive about buyers and authors from half of the world.

If you are sure about your music, pricing, and your customers, why does it bother you so much? It doesn’t make sense. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wrong Wave toys. I am encouraging Envato to re-think their policy of lowering prices and puting in a floor at $20. I also am encouraging all authors with any respect for themselves to “go for it” and raise their prices.

It has worked for me.

I really believe that most media makers will not be overly concerned with a track at 39, 49, 59 verses one at 20. If the higher priced track works for their job, they will not be concerned about the extra $20, $30…really.
I talk to these people and ask them exactly that: “Would you not buy a $50 track if it works best for your project when you know you can find others for $20?”…The answer is overwhelmingly “I will buy the track that works best for my project and not be concerned with an extra 20 or 30 bucks.”

Talk to some friends who are video editors, film editors, etc…see what they have to say.

These amounts are just too petty to worry about “going over budget”.

Also wave toys, I am no spring chicken, baby in this business. I have been around for 3 decades working for
and with advertising and marketing agencies, post houses, video editors, designers, music houses, music publishers, music studios, bands, artists, etc…

Think about your own behavior as a buyer. Let’s suppose you need a quality stock image or video shot for your web site. You see some at $5, others at $25, another at $50. Your favorite costs $50 and you really believe that the $50 image or video hits the mark for your project. Are you really going to refuse to come up with the $50 because it’s too expensive?..I think not…especially if it is a one time purchase that has an important mission to build and strengthen your image and brand.

Anyway, I am glad, wave toys, to see you increase your prices.

Good luck to you.

1 Like

There is one tutorial here - Automated item editing