Can student in foreign country apply for W8?

I’m a Turkish student resident in China. I have Turkish tax ID. Can I apply for W8 for tax exemption?

The simple answer is yes. The important question would be whether to put yourself down as being a resident for tax purposes of China or Turkey.

It’s my understanding that most countries specify that if you spend more than six months in a tax year in a certain country… then you need to pay taxes there, rather than in the country you spend less than six months in.

However, that might be more of a question for a tax advisor, but the tax dudes at Envato should be back in today, so hopefully they’ll reply to your email.

Thank you, you’re very helpful as always!

So I think the answer lies in this sentence but I can’t be sure:

“If you are in a country with a tax treaty rate for US RWHT, then you need to add a tax identification number to claim a treaty benefit. If you have a tax number from your own country (i.e. a “foreign tax identification number”), then add that into the W-8 form where specified. This is usually the number that you quote when you lodge your tax return or pay tax in your own country.”

What do you understand from this sentence?
And what is RWHT? Couldn’t find it in Google

It just means that you should fill out the W8 with a valid tax ID number to claim treaty benefits. You just need to figure out whether that’s a Turkish tax ID number or a Chinese tax ID number.

RWHT is royalty withholding tax.

Alright thanks a lot for the info!