Can someone explain the process of updating a template please? I have a few questions.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on this. I have been through the TF docs but still need clarification on a few things.

I have some major updates for my only template on TF. I haven’t made any updates before so want to understand the best way to do it.

1. Do you need to add the updates to your live demo site for TF to check? If I do this then potential buyers might think the updates are available in the download, but they won’t be until TF approve. So what’s the best thing to do here?

2. When you submit the updates do you change the description and add new images as well or do you wait until the updates are approved and live before doing this?

3. How do I notify buyers that there are updates available?

4. Are there any specific requirements from TF for updates or is it pretty much the same a submitting a template?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks everyone.

Hello.
We will start with your points:

1. Yes
  2. You can add new images for example, there is a new version 1.1, 1.2 (for image preview and thumbnail) etc.
  3. At the bottom of the “update form” you have something like that: “Notify Buyers” Send a notification to buyers when this update is approved.
  4. The same. I think so.

I add a .txt file with changes that have been made and locations of changes in the code.

Best Regards, radekthemes

One thing I would add is that now, the recommended method to notify the buyers about updates is integrating in your theme or in your plugin the Envato Market Plugin:https://envato.com/market-plugin/

Authors are encouraged to implement this plugin in their items so that customers have a reliable and consistent experience across products.

The checkbox “notify buyers about this update” from themeforest/codecanyon item details page only notifies buyers about an update being available, but they will still have to update the theme/plugin manually.

While with this Envato Market Plugin, all they have to do is to click an “Update” button when they receive in their WP admin dashboard the automatic update notification.

Also in reply to question 2., you can update only the zip with the theme, no need to update eahc time the images too.

I hope it helps :hugs: