Can I resell a WordPress theme if it is 100% GPL?

Link : 100% GPL WordPress Themes on ThemeForest

WordPress Themes and Child Themes on ThemeForest Marketplace that are licensed 100% GPL

100% GPL mean you can resell the theme. So can I buy any theme from above link and resell it?

Thanks.

No. From what I understand, the design part isn’t GPL… the code is.

Yes if theme or plugin have This item is licensed 100% GPL. You can resell this theme or redistribute for free. All in .zip file is gpl - css, php, js and others file. This item is licensed 100% GPL. - is full gpl license on envato market

No, this is not true and you can’t do that. Please see this article: https://help.author.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000534646 - where the GPL is explained clearly:

If an author is releasing a theme or plugin for a platform that is licensed under the GPL, the PHP code and integrated HTML of the theme or plugin must be distributed under the GPL.
So, when a customer purchases an item from ThemeForest or CodeCanyon, and finds the GPL license text enclosed, this license applies to the item’s PHP code and integrated HTML. Other assets that are a part of the item may not be covered by the GPL

Given that, this means that if you buy a 100% GPL WordPress theme/plugin, the PHP and the HTML code inside are GPL, while the other assets (images, JS and CSS code) are not GPL.

So the conclusion is that you can’t resell or redistribute for free the theme/plugin.

More here and here.

1 Like

You write about split license :wink: You must read about 100% gpl envato license :slight_smile: This is for envato 100% gpl license "

You can decide this on an item-by-item basis once you have opted in from your author settings page. Once you opt an item into 100% GPL you cannot change the licensing on that item back to split license."

The 100% GPL option will apply the relevant GPL license version to your entire theme or plugin, which means others are free to deal with, sell or distribute the item (or its components), as long as they follow the requirements of the GPL.

So the conclusion is that you can resell or redistribute for free the theme/plugin if they have 100% gpl license in product tabs :slight_smile:

Link: https://help.author.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000534626-Theme-Plugin-Licensing-Options

I think the best solution before jumping to conclusions is to contact Envato Help and Support for a definitive answer. It’s better than ending up with a DMCA on your hands! :blush:

This is the official envato answer:

The 100% GPL option will apply the relevant GPL license version to your entire theme or plugin, which means others are free to deal with, sell or distribute the item (or its components), as long as they follow the requirements of the GPL.

i’m contacted the support and answer is identical.

Actually, that simply says that 100% GPL is viral, so any enhancements or additions you may add will also give your buyer the same privilege to resell.

Regardless, you cannot sell the item here. A minimum of ethics is required and taking someone elses work and reselling it is not allowed.

2 Likes

Tell that to Matt Mullenweg!