Can I offer unregistered tracks as royalty free while being with a P.R.O.?

… or are all tracks I write by default P.R.O. tracks? I am registered with GEMA but is it still possible to sell tracks as royalty free if I didn’t register them? Thanks!

Although you can choose not to register individual tracks I don’t think you can indicate this on AJ. If any of your tracks on AJ are Pro registered then your profile has to be set accordingly and all your tracks will be categorised the same.

None of my tracks on AJ are pro-registered. I would only upload non-registered tracks.

Why? What is the benefit of that strategy?

Because royalty free tracks (single payment) on a primarily royalty free website are surely preferred over PRO registered ones (single payment + PRO fee)…

The person buying the licence will almost certainly not have to pay any additional royalties. It just means that if your track is played on radio and TV you will get a share of what the broadcast companies already pay the Pros for broadcast rights.

1 Like

The entire point of displaying writer name and publishing entity is to collect PRO royalties if the client files cue sheets or reports usage of a track into a large advertising campaign. You’d be foolish not to display your PRO info. If your track ends up in a big ad campaign you may miss out on back end performance royalties collected by your PRO and paid to YOU as WRITER and PUBLISHER. This does happen on this market. Not a lot, but even if it happens once, you may lose out! Plus have you not learned that PRO’s are starting to pay for YOUTUBE streams. This business is evolving, I’d register your titles and display your writer and publisher name and IPI # on this site. You have nothing to lose but potentially a lot of free money to gain.

I think most purchases her are for smaller projects (youtube, personal website etc) and Im’ a bit worried that those buyers will shy away from PRO tracks.

um…have you looked at PZ’s account? no decline there, top sellers are not experiencing sales declines by displaying PRO info. I have not seen a decline. I see no difference. Sir DES,( psssst, secret for ya… between you and I and the rest of the world)…GEMA will be sending a substantial check to my PRO, then my PRO to my pocket in a few months for a big campaign in Deutchland on air now. The customer filed the paperwork and I have copies of it. So you decide. Cutomers don’t always do favors, you have to be ready to chase down paper work and ask for copies and follow up "Yo Customer!!! Did you file that usage at the PRO? " Serious advertising professionals will do that when using a track in a major ad campaign.

OK thanks. I have no (and am not a) publisher though so I think I can’t register standalone tracks anyway. The big libraries usually register the tracks for me since they are the publishers. I can’t register them as standalone.
So, it I probably have to stay PRO free for the tracks here and the original question if I as a PRO member can publish royalty free tracks if not registered (none of my AJ tracks are registered) remains…

Start your own publishing entity at GEMA. I guess GEMA is a never ending pain in the A$$. Much easier to deal with PRO’s in USA. USA Pros do not complicate things.

I will change to another PRO anyway. But meanwhile I think I want to make my tracks PRO free.

Well if your music ends up in a major ad campaign, I guess you will be satisfied with $100.

I prefer 10 to 20 thousand in performance royalties in addition to the sync license sold here. Again, I am not saying this happens a lot…it does not…But it does happen and has happened. So be ready!

Think harder Sir Des…

Just temorarily, until I changed to another PRO (less than 1 year). Then the publishing process is simpler.

Why don’t you talk to GEMA and see what they say? Why can you not start a publishing entity at GEMA?

Doesn’t seem worth it to set it up for the last few months. I also will be contracted for 3 years while at the same time leaving them as a composer in the next months. Thats just to much confusion.

why are you leaving? Are they simply difficult?

Very confusing, from the get go. It was a rushed decision to register there, because I got a deal with a big trailer house but no PRO. I was just 17. :stuck_out_tongue: I also learnt that some libraries don’t accept GEMA members. All of that together means I just have to change.

In general, I believe there is widespread confusion about what “royalty free music” really means. So why coin it like that? Well I’d guess it still sells well to offer anything with the word “free” in it, and if it works why break it, but from a clarity point of view it could be better to rebrand the AJ licence using less ambivalent terms… maybe “blanket licence music”, “pay-once audio” or something.

People more or less regularly comment on royalty free music displays, saying “hey, if it’s royalty FREE, why do i have to pay?”. Also, as been discussed above, the actual PRO scenario, which really flies over most peoples heads, including many people actually working for a PRO. They’re like “Ok, so you licensed your music on a royalty free music website and now you want us to collect royalties on your behalf.” Confusion :sunglasses:

2 Likes

“Royalty Free” is the dumbest term ever invented to market music or photos or any media for that matter. It’s wrong and inaccurate from the moment one utters it out of their mouth. Why? Well because every time a buyer licenses a piece of music here, there, or anywhere, a royalty is paid to the writer/ author. Every time someone buys for $19, the author gets paid a royalty on AJ. Envato collects the money from the customer, envato pays the author their royalties every month. In the USA we get tax documents from Envato that say “royalties earned”_______________Yet Envato sells “royalty free music”…ha ha ha! makes no sense…right? Legally, us authors earn “royalties”, but we sell “royalty free”???..hmmm? Are you confused yet?

Audio Jungle and every music licensing site should simply be marketed and advertised as “Stock Music Licensing”

And NO Stockwaves, sorry but you are dead wrong when you suggest the term “Pay Once Audio”…That is NOT in our interests NOR in Envato’s. And a “Blanket license” means this: A TV Network or Production company pays an annual fee for access to an entire catalog typically for an entire year to use whatever they need for all projects - typically TV shows, promos on networks, live sports and news broadcasts, etc…but still, those buying professionals are also obliged to fill in cue sheets to report broadcast usage. That is the way the business works. We should NEVER want envato to explore selling blanket licenses. That is not at all profitable for individual authors. Typically the only catalogs that can do that are the one’s that own 100% of all tracks in the catalog. Remember, Envato is not a library, it’s not a catalog, it’s a music licensing selling platform for individual authors (or small companies I suppose)

It should be “Buy A Music License Here for your Project”

And if they do another project, it should be “Buy another music license for that project too.”

I’ve heard people argue that “Royalty Free” means “Buy 1 license for any project, use the music in perpetuity for as many projects as you like.” Sorry, this is NOT in our interests, nor Envato’s.

Indeed “Royalty Free Music” is the dumbest, most misunderstood and misinterpreted concept in this business. Yes, envato supposedly sells “royalty free music” bet then sends authors a 1099 tax doc that says “Royalties earned” for a given year. Completely ridiculous. How do we bring death to the dumbest term in our business … “Royalty Free”?

There are ROYALTIES earned here…we get those paid with every license sold!

And then there are PERFORMANCE ROYALTIES…Performing Rights Organizations pay us because our music is being broadcast (performed) in public on TV, radio AND NOW YOUTUBE. Is a stream a performance? …hmmmm…? more confusion. I say yes because its in our interests for a “stream” to equate to a performance. more confusion, and more reasons for lawyers, judges, and politicians to clear this pile of $heet mess up once and for all so there are international standards and clear definitions of royalties, streams, and performance royalties as it relates to music. The KEY in the letters PRO is PERFORMING RIGHTS.

3 Likes