Can I get my money back if I'm not satisfied with a product?

Can I get my money back if I’m not satisfied with a product?

Depends on the details - if it’s genuinely broken or not as advertised then maybe.

If you just change your mind probably not (it’s the nature of digital downloads)

1 Like

Hello @sorbal

You can ask to theme author for support if you not satisfied

If they not help you can open refund request

https://themeforest.net/refund_requests/new

1 Like

If your dissatisfaction is legit ie:

• item is broken and author doesn’t want to fix it

Yes, definitely.

If you just consider yourself dissatisfied for whatever other reason - no.
This is a digital item, you can’t return it to store like a T-shirt

Hello,

How you can get back your money here is the details.
Customer Refund Policy

Thanks

It is ridiculous that your company – Envato – sells a product, but refuses to give refunds to customers unless the Author approves it.

Can you imagine trying to return a carton of sour milk to your grocery store, only to be told the request must go to the dairy farmer who supplied the milk?

I will never order anything from Envato again.strong text

Except you’re not buying a carton of milk, which is a physical product that the grocery store has bought from the dairy farmer. You’re buying a digital good from a freelancer through a marketplace.

OH, I get it, silly me for not realizing that a bunch of code is not “physical?” Then what is it? Metaphysical? Ethereal? Extraterrestrial? Load of (virtual) crap?

1. Then they should say that up front – that since their product is “digital” normal rules of customer service do not apply, I’m sure Microsoft, Facebook and Twitter would love to be able to implement such a policy.

2. They must also state in large “digital font” on their main site that Envato takes absolutely no responsibility for the quality of the products they shill: all they do is provide links to freelance developers. Just like a classified add in a newspaper (print or “digital”).

Digital goods are digital. For instance, many countries have laws that protect consumers and guarantee refunds under certain conditions. However, most of these countries exclude digital goods for this exact reason: they can’t be returned, you can always keep them. But enough about that –

While I’m sorry that you had a bad experience, and I’m sure if you gave a little more context about what happened we could suggest a solution on the forums, I don’t think blaming Envato is exactly the right solution here.

Look at it this way. You hire a freelancer to make you a website, or a graphic, etc. You pay them $100 over PayPal prior to them starting, and then they deliver their work in a few days. You decide you’re not satisfied with their work, so you go complain to PayPal and tell them that they should take responsibility for what they sell. PayPal, however, didn’t sell anything; they simply faciliated the payment and delivery.

In that regard, they take responsibility in ensuring that you received a delivery, and that the freelancer received a payment. They protect you from being scammed, and they ensure that you received what was a part of the initial deal. They can’t do anything more, unless the freelancer violates their terms and conditions.

This is exactly how Envato works. They are merely the platform over which the content gets transferred and payment gets made. They have strict terms that authors must abide by which are very similar to that of PayPal. For instance, the author must deliver exactly what the customer paid for (i.e. item must work as described); the author must uphold their promises (i.e. they must provide support [as defined within the limitations of support] during an active support period).

When you raise a dispute with PayPal, it goes to the freelancer, not PayPal. When you raise a refund request with Envato, it goes to the author, not Envato.

If the freelancer denies your dispute, you can raise it to a claim with PayPal. If the author denies your refund request, you can raise it to a dispute with Envato. Do note that Envato can only enforce disputes per their terms, contracts with authors, and with consideration of your country’s laws on refunds of digital goods.

2 Likes