C4D Render tips/workflow ideas...?

Hi - great job on the C4Ds so far, I’ll likely start buying them soon here.

Quick questions (I’ve googled it, lots of different answers everywhere);

a) I prefer to just render C4D source out by itself, and do any ae work separately w/alpha;

What’s your recommended render output format, for use in web videos about 1024 wide? I’ve found when rendering to .mov if the pc locks up I lose the entire render (happened today, after a 6 hour start, win7 locked, had to reboot, lost the mov); many C4d folks recommend exporting instead to .tga or .tiff (or png) image sequences, then importing those (to nle or ae or whatever); seems safer since at least you’ve got the frames captured/rendered up to whatever time the pc locks/reboots - any suggestions?

b) is vray highly recommended or no, for C4D 11.5? (I’m using my new win7 install w/4gigs ram)

c) general quick workflow tips for your guys’ projects in using them w/AE? I’d just as soon render whatever C4d element by itself, then put in my NLE on one video timeline, then do the aep render separate w/alpha mov, and add that to a second timeline nle, since I do all my final video production in my nle (vegas 10), not ae.

thanks, everyone - great to see c4ds here, let’s hope they sell a lot and it takes off!

-k

Hi,

a) I render to image sequences only (png), it’s the best and safest way to render out your animation.

b) in my opinion you need vray only if you do photo-realistic visualization. In most cases C4D’s native Advanced Renderer will cover all your needs.

c) handy workflow tip? …uhm, for example you can export your camera data and object’s position data from c4d to ae, and then add additional elements in ae and it will all be synced.

I’d suggest Tiff sequences, they work best for me. And stay away from VRay for motion graphic renderings. As Murkin said, if you’re looking for super detailed stills vray’s does a great job. But C4D’s advanced renderer is really great for animations

1. Only ever render image sequences till the very last minute, then convert to a video format… whether you’re rendering from Cinema or AE. The advantages are many and various.

2. Wait until the day when the (rather good) built in renderer falls short of your expectations, then worry about VRay.

3. At a very early stage render out your sequences from Cinema as full res and at a proxy resolution - even if they’re just black image sequences. Import into AE and set the proxies. You now have your workflow set up. Overwrite the files (proxies or full res) as you require.

-f.

Thanks - good tips, much appreciated. Didn’t think about rendering from ae to image stills; that’s worth testing out as well, thanks. Right re tiffs, seems like with my win7 freezing now and then and being hard to unstick without rebooting, it’s a good idea to render things to images til final production video, for ae/c4D.

Using C4d for example with one 1024x768 render I’m currently doing, the output time is now up to 42 hours and counting so far, being just 57% done, to tiffs, for a 300-frame animation, which is very time consuming. My mobo only takes 4gb ram, eventually will u/g that and cpu and see if there’s a c4d 64bit release someday to get faster renders. My aeps always render relatively quickly from the ones I’ve bought here, almost always under a few hours tops.

-k

Hi Ken,

Check out this tut… there’s lots about the advantages of rendering image sequences from AE in there.

42 hours for a 300 frame animation is insane… especially at PAL size. That’s 9 minutes per frame. What’s going on in there?

Sounds like you’ve got the anti-aliasing or GI settings up way too high. Or transparent reflective materials way too close to one another (you can often overcome this by putting a non-transparent, non-reflective material on the side of the object that faces away from camera). If you’re using motion blur with 25 iterations or suchlike, then turn it off and get yourself Reelsmart Motion Blur Pro, the $149 plug-in from Revision that puts motion blur on afterwards in a fraction of the time. Also, if you have particularly large detailed textures, you might want to think about baking them.

C4D 11.5 is 64 bit.

Hope that helps.

-f.

Hi Ben - yes it does, thanks very much – great tips in your ae vimeo file. It’ll be interesting to see as C4d/ae project hybrids evolve here, different render ideas and workflow tips; much appreciated.

-k

felt_tips said
  1. Only ever render image sequences till the very last minute, then convert to a video format… whether you’re rendering from Cinema or AE. The advantages are many and various.

Hey Felt! do you convert to a video format from AE or Cinema? Sometimes when working with projects I get huge time renders when using HD footage added to any AE project, for example.