Buying a license for a client

Hello,

I am going to buy a theme for a client of mine, in order to develop his website.
(It’s my first time, but your answer will be useful for future similar situations.)

Once the purchase is done, I want to transfer the license to him.

As I am the customer of the theme, the receipt will have my information (name and email). I am not sure if it will be useful to him.

So I will appreciate if you would share some ideas about it.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I would like to modify my question, as I just have read that it is not allowed to transfer the license (I had read some time ago it but I had forgot it.)

So, the question would be if you would share some ideas about how to proceed when I purchase a license to a client, and want the client have the rights to use the template, as it is for his own website. Because, even though I develop the website, he is the owner and I think he should be the owner of the rights (of the template).

Thank you!

Carlos

Where did you read that you can’t move the license from one person to another. If you sell the design you also sell the license. The only problem could be that if your customer asks for support in the theme forest forums he hasn’t a buyer badge and he will not get help. so you have to ask for him because you bought the theme.

Thank you BroOf!

Your answer lead me to read again the terms and I found that it is not allowed “for free”, so it would not be a problem, as I will not transfer the license for free.

“(d) Unless you have our prior written consent, you must not directly or indirectly license, sub-license, sell or resell or provide for freethe Work or offer to do any of these things. All of these things are referred to as Resale.”

Anyway, my doubt is as follows. The purpose to transfer the license to my client is that he should be the owner of the license, as it is for his site and he paid for it (the license). So, just in case in any moment he is asked for the license (ThemeForest or the designer of the template), in which way he can demonstrates that he bought it as he did not buy directly to ThemeForest? Perhaps there is a transaction number or something else that demonstrates it.
Is it clear what I am asking?

Thanks again!

Carlos

Hmm, I don’t know if I got your point correct but: if you buy a design here you will find it in the “Downloads” section of your account. There is also a point called “Licence Certificate”. If you click on that link you will be able to download the “certificate.txt”. In this certificate is this:

LICENCE CERTIFICATE : Envato Marketplace Item

This document certifies the purchase of:
ONE REGULAR LICENCE
as defined in the standard terms and conditions on the Envato Marketplaces.

Licensor’s Author Username: ***
Licensee: ***

For the item:

http://themeforest.net/item/***
Item ID: ****

Item Purchase Code: *****

For any queries related to this document or license please contact envato support via http://enva.to/marketplacesupport

Envato Pty. Ltd. (ABN 11 119 159 741)
PO Box 21177, Little Lonsdale Street, VIC 8011, Australia

==== THIS IS NOT A TAX RECEIPT OR INVOICE ====

I removed all unnecessary parts. As Licensee there will be your name. I don’t know if this could be used to transfer the license.

Some official words would be nice.

Thank you very much for your response and your time, BroOf!

This information was very helpfu as I had not see the link.

Well, it is one step. Now, as you say, it would be convenient to know the official words about the use of this document in order to transfer the license. Or, as I said in my previous message, if in any moment my client is asked for the license (ThemeForest or the designer of the template), in which way he can demonstrates to them (in a valid way to them) that he bought it as he did not buy directly to ThemeForest?

Thanks again, BroOf.

Carlos

Too bad you can’t contact the support because they say:

Support cannot answer license questions
Unfortunately, due to the sensitive and legal nature of licensing questions, Support is not qualified to provide assistance with these types of inquiries. Please review all relevant support documentation regarding licenses.

But I found this passage:

Items purchased under a regular or extended license may NOT be redistributed or resold “as-is” or as part of any other collection of image resources or files.

in: http://wiki.envato.com/buying/licenses-buying/themeforest-regular-and-extended-license-usage-examples/

So you are not allowed to directly sell the item or put it in a package with other items and sell it. BUT I think if you offer your client a service like putting up the site, you should be fine to give your client the “license certificate” and with this the pure license.

There is also another way: Your client could register here and buy the theme himself but I think you don’t want to betray your secret where you get your files from.

Thank you, BroOf.

So you are not allowed to directly sell the item or put it in a package with other items and sell it. BUT I think if you offer your client a service like putting up the site, you should be fine to give your client the “license certificate” and with this the pure license.

Yes! Of course, that is the idea, to offer my client putting up the site with a specific template.

There is also another way: Your client could register here and buy the theme himself but I think you don’t want to betray your secret where you get your files from.

I prefer to buy the item myself for support purposes, as I have read in this forum; I think it makes sense.

Thanks again for helping me to think :))

Carlos