Budget studio monitors - any ideas?

Hey AJers

So far I’ve earned enough on AJ to invest in some great new software and gear for my studio - using my Envato earnings I’ve since bought a new DAW (moved to FL Studio 12), NI Komplete 10 and a MIDI keyboard, which have been excellent assets to my home studio and really bumped my production quality up a notch. It’s been great to finally have some spare money around to re-invest back into my music production so I can make even better music.

For a while I’ve been scraping by with my good 'ol Audio Technica M50 monitoring headphones, but I’m now considering getting some studio monitors soon to help with mixing (hey, I’ve managed without so far, but I hear they are one of the most valuable assets for music production so better go find out what I’ve been missing :smiley: ).

That’s where you guys come in to the equation - can I get some recommendations for some reasonably-priced entry-level studio monitors (preferrably under $500)? - I’ve heard about the KRK Rokit G3, M-Audio BX5, Behringer Truth series, Presonus Eris, Mackie MR5 etc, but I want to hear all your opinions - which ones do you think are the best for the money?

Feel free to share which monitors you use, too - just bear in mind I probably won’t be able to afford them! :smiley:

ADAM F7 OR Focal Alpha 65

Wowwww another FL 12 user :smiley:
KRK is a good choice for EDM producers like me,but some people said the bass is too strong.

FASSounds said

KRK is a good choice for EDM producers like me,but some people said the bass is too strong.

Isn’t it awesome! I love the unique workflow and the piano roll is superior to anything else I’ve used!

I was thinking KRK at first because of their price and popularity, but I don’t want bass that’s over-hyped or anything. I’m not really an EDM producer per se, so would they still work well for general purpose mixing? I’m looking for something as flat as possible.

Yamaha HS series is flat, Focal Alpha series very neutral and detailed

JamesVMusic said
FASSounds said

Isn’t it awesome! I love the unique workflow and the piano roll is superior to anything else I’ve used!

I was thinking KRK at first because of their price and popularity, but I don’t want bass that’s over-hyped or anything. I’m not really an EDM producer per se, so would they still work well for general purpose mixing? I’m looking for something as flat as possible.

LumenMedia said

Cheers. I’ll definitely have a look into those!

The Focal Alpha 65 seem like an excellent choice! Might need to save up a bit more though as I have a tight budget :smiley:

And I’ve definitely heard good things about the HS80Ms - Looks like I’ll have to do a bit more research :smiley:

HS8 by Yamaha is definitely good monitors. I vote for them

1 Like

I would highly recommend the Yamaha HS series. Firstly, because they are the most raw sounding speakers I’ve ever heard. The rawness means that you get a real audio image of everything you record. Believe me, things will sometimes sound very bad, but once you mix things on these speakers, you can trust them that it will sound way better on everything else.

In comparison, I’m an owner of Alesis M1 Active MKII, which I really, really like, but I often find that they don’t give me a real image of my audio signal. These have a lot of bass, tone and character, but that’s not what you want when mixing.

Hope I helped you.
PhiAudio

KRK are good for dance, hip hop or anything where beat and bass play the main role:) Anyway, studio monitors is a very specific subject. Obviously all is about your personal sound preferences. Good to have a chance to be able to listen to speakers in a studio environment and then make a decision based on what you heard personally, not from someone else :slight_smile:

Swissonic ASM5. Under 200 €. Great reviews.

I used to have KRKs and all my mixes turned out muddy and bass heavy. Now I have Dynaudio BM6 and my mixes are still muddy and bass heavy.
Seriously, I wouldn’t recommend KRK Rokit, but I have also heard good things about the Yamahas.

KRK all the way !

Buy Used Genelecs 8020 - maybe they lack the bass, but You can get used to it.
For Genelecs there is a 7050 sub You can buy later, when You save more money (including room adaptation )

If You just buy Monitors bigger than 5 inches - You’ll have to make measured adaptation
to tame bass resonance too.

Also get an used pair of Denon AH-D1100 - headphones wich are extremely bassy
(great for checking unwanted bass accumulation) .
Use them only fo bass check - they go down to 5 hz

I use the Behringer TRUTH B2031A and they’re only like $200. And you can adjust the bass level as you like!

With my previous setup I used the Behringer Truth 2031As but the bass was too heavy for the small room I record in so I had to mix in a larger room. Now I use Tannoy 6A in my small room and am very happy with them for the price. I have found that I can get the detail in the mix to 80% on my AKG 240Mk2 phones first.

LumenMedia said

I got the Alpha 65s, and they sound great for the price point. Some people say that it sounds better than its higher end CMS counterpart. It’s definitely made a big difference in the accuracy of my mixes.

JohnRosso said

HS8 by Yamaha is definitely good monitors. I vote for them

Absolutely agree!
HS80M is a great gear! Fantastic control of hi’s and mid’s!
But for the low frequencies you need sub or good close headphones.
Yamaha is the same company which made the epic NS-10 :slight_smile:

JamesVMusic said

Hey AJers

So far I’ve earned enough on AJ to invest in some great new software and gear for my studio - using my Envato earnings I’ve since bought a new DAW (moved to FL Studio 12), NI Komplete 10 and a MIDI keyboard, which have been excellent assets to my home studio and really bumped my production quality up a notch. It’s been great to finally have some spare money around to re-invest back into my music production so I can make even better music.

For a while I’ve been scraping by with my good 'ol Audio Technica M50 monitoring headphones, but I’m now considering getting some studio monitors soon to help with mixing (hey, I’ve managed without so far, but I hear they are one of the most valuable assets for music production so better go find out what I’ve been missing :smiley: ).

That’s where you guys come in to the equation - can I get some recommendations for some reasonably-priced entry-level studio monitors (preferrably under $500)? - I’ve heard about the KRK Rokit G3, M-Audio BX5, Behringer Truth series, Presonus Eris, Mackie MR5 etc, but I want to hear all your opinions - which ones do you think are the best for the money?

Feel free to share which monitors you use, too - just bear in mind I probably won’t be able to afford them! :smiley:

Take a look at yanaha hs7 really nice budget monitors

For a tight budget you can buy Kurzweill KS-40A , Yamaha HS5 or HS7, Presonous Eris E4.5

JBL LSR305 they sound great in in my unprepared room.