Blurry photoshop patterns?

So I’m brand new here, and I’ve recently submitted some photoshop pattern files. My first round was rejected for a couple of reasons and I’ve resubmitted with corrections made. I feel very positive about the feedback I received and the way the issue was handled. It was easy to understand why there were objections, and I was regarded with respect and intelligent assistance from first contact. It was also very fast response - I had an answer and a plan to fix it within just an hour or two. I really appreciate that, and thought I would say as much up front. I’m a firm believer in positive reinforcement.

Anyway, the real issue I’m writing for is that one of the objections with my file was that, once the reviewer looked at it in Photoshop, the patterns seemed blurry. I explained they were very high resolution (3000px sq - I had forgotten to mention that in my description and intended to fix it later if I could) so that, yes, if they are viewed very small they might seem blurry. My reviewer reminded me most of the GR customers are web artists and less interested in the high resolution files that I was more accustomed to providing to print customers. So I resized and resubmitted them. Happy to do it.

But in trying to make a new pack of files, even at a smaller size, I can’t help but notice that this set, too, scales down awkwardly. It looks great at 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%. But at some random percentage, say 43 or 67, it does blur.

So I ran some tests on some other sets I have around and this seems to be a problem that exists across the board. The question I have is 1) whether other artists have encountered this issue and, if so, 2) whether it’s something I have some control over (whether I’m still just making them too big, or it’s a graphics card issue, etc.), or if that’s just how photoshop rolls?

I do see a role for some large-scale patterns in web design so I’d love to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom. Thanks for taking the time to read this far. :slight_smile:

From what I know, almost 99% of the patterns work that way. There are certain precentages that the patterns start to blur, because of the odd precentage chosen, I’ve seen some people just sharpen it once done, and that seems to be fixing the problem. So you could just include in the instructions if it looks blurry just sharpen and it might fix the problem. Note: doesn’t fix it always.

Yep! Patterns work that way. Nothing to worry about as long as they look great at 100% (it’s intended size). Even the default photoshop patterns blur or look distorted as certain increments.

Thanks guys, that’s what I had come to figure but wanted to double check to make sure it wasn’t just me. I appreciate the feedback!