Blue Diamond WordPress theme is protected

I’m trying to make site edits for a new customer and they have the Blue Diamond WordPress theme. However, when clicking any of the buttons to make edits, etc., nothing happens. I finally saw in the Dashboard that the theme is “protected”. Does anyone know how to unprotect the theme?

1 Like

Hi,

Contact with your purchase item author @GoodLayers hope they will helped!

Thanks!

1 Like

FYI if it was the customer who bought the theme then it will need to be them who contacts the author

1 Like

As with most of end users of WordPress themes, I doubt my customer even had anything to do with the purchase of the theme. It was most likely purchased by her past developer with which she no longer has any contact with.

All I’m trying to do is find out how the site is unprotected. I’m not asking for any passwords, etc. If someone has ANY experience at dealing with this, I would appreciate their input. Otherwise, the next step is to scrap the theme and rebuild her site using our custom theme.

Thank you for your reply.

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

Honestly, I’ve never heard about something like that. My guess is that it is caused by some 3rd party plugin so take a look at those.

If it is really caused by the theme, then your only hope is to get in touch with the theme author. However he is not entitled to help you if you do not contact him using an account with which the theme was purchased. But it is still worth a shot:

out of interest where does it say it is ‘protected’? e.g. on post pages? throughout the admin?

You are an admin of the site right?

I am the admin.

My bad. I figured out where the message was coming from. A security plugin I’m using by iThemes.

However, even if I turn that off, the edit buttons in the theme still do nothing.

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

Thanks for the idea.

My bad. I figured out where the message was coming from. A security plugin I’m using by iThemes.

However, even if I turn that off, the edit buttons in the theme still do nothing.

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

It could be down to the version of the theme, WordPress etc. esp if your customer is disconnected, there’s a good chance that the version you are running is outdated

Wouldn’t the update page say the theme is outdated if it was? How else would I know?

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

If the theme is setup using an API (again it doesn’t sound likely) then it may let you know there is an update.

Otherwise the buyer will get emailed to let them know when an update is available, but it’s not like standard plugins or generic themes where it automatically alerts users to updates.

I assume that you are running the latest 5.5 version of WordPress?

This would require the latest theme release which was in August this year and looks fairly substantial https://support.goodlayers.com/document/changelog-bluediamond/

Yes. I’m running WordPress version 5.5.1.

I’ve tried disabling ALL plugins. But, no difference.

Here are the buttons that don’t work on the Home Page. I have no idea why they don’t work.

image001.png

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

I’m running WordPress version 5.5.1.

I’ve tried disabling ALL plugins. But, no difference.

Here are the buttons that don’t work on the Home Page. I have no idea why they don’t work.

image001.png

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

Especially if you are running WP 5 then you will need the latest copy of the theme (from Aug this year). Is that the version installed? (v1.3.0)

No. It’s version 1.08.

I didn’t see an upgrade price. Do I have to buy the whole theme again?

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

99% sure that is the issue.

The original buyer will have access to lifetime updates - if they don’t have access to the original purchase then yes you will need to repurchase.

But be aware that 1.08 is 7 years out of date which will almost certainly mean a more complex upgrade that is highly unlikely to be just a case of installing a more recent version.

Is it easy to upgrade the theme and not lose what’s already on the site?

Steve Biese

image001.jpg

Impossible to say without seeing the admin and understanding what, if any customisation had been made

My guess is that a 7 year update is not going to be as simple as overwriting the old version.