Better Names or better sales?

I post items on videohive and we have the same problem, if you don’t use the catchy words in your name you won’t apear, and tags don’t seem to be very useful for placing you on the top of the list.

But … I don’t want my templates to have an unpersonnal name like “Glitch Slideshow” or “Particle logo reveal”… so i always try to personalize with a unique word and add behind some commercial tags.

Example :
Sunny Lanterns - Wedding Photo Gallery
Be Creative - Fast Dynamic Opener

1 Like

@WorldBeyond I guess that’s true, yeah. I’ll just keep the original titles to a minimum for now, hahah.

@Cream_Motion I like that, actually might try something like that next time.

1 Like

Wow, can we use hyphens or colons in our titles as well?
Update: just tried that, they say punctuation is not allowed :confused:

Yeah, that’s quite a problem. Why do we even have tags? I mean, the search engine should be searching for 1.) TAGS, NOT Titles, NOT whatever is in the description and THEN 2.) what the buyer enters as search parameters like sales, ratings or the length of a track. Envato, please change this! Sorry for the caps btw.

1 Like

I understand your point, however the main issue with omitting the title from search is when people search for a specific theme, template or track that they KNOW the title for… they’ll end up confused that it doesn’t show even if they type it in exactly as it is.

Also, don’t forget it’s already now possible to filter by tags (using the tags facet to the left). Filtering by the tag “inspirational” for example will bring up a lot of items that are not even titled “inspiration”:

This is not a “perfect solution” for everyone though, as there are 35,000+ items with the “inspirational” tag, the results will probably be a bit random. It does work pretty well though if you add some more tags that you are looking for, e.g. “guitar”, “corporate”, “soft” etc.

In the end of the day, whatever search algorithm there is there will still be 10,000 authors trying to “hack” it. The main problem is the number of items we are competing with, just too many to fit on one search page :sunglasses:

1 Like

By the way, the search algorithms seem to have changed yesterday or today. In favor of items with less sales.

2 Likes

Yup, i’ve noticed that too

It’s the middle of the month. I’m not surprised if this is true. :wink:

@Stockwaves: Thanks, makes sense.

They didn’t change them in the middle of the month before. That was just a conspiracy theory that has no backing… Now the algorithms have really changed. Maybe they will change them back later, but that’s another story.

2 Likes

and changed a lot, it seems that the names doesn’t matter anymore!! I have been heard? Today i uploaded my last single tag track! I hope the new algorithm work for all of Us!!

I’ve noticed this, too. At first I thought it was a glitch as a result of maintenance or something along those lines, but it looks like this new algorithm is here to stay. AD3G mentioned a while ago that some changes like these would be made. I believe it was in response to an author talking about how some tracks are making disproportionate sales. I guess this is part of those plans. I’m actually very pleased about these changes, because it gives newer tracks a fair go for initial exposure, which was, in my opinion, lacking in the previous search engine system. If all goes as expected, we should be seeing a more varied popular files list, and hopefully more proportionate sales across the board.

3 Likes

I don’t know if it is linked, but I did my best day ever yesterday ! 8l

As a new guy about to upload his 1st 2 songs, I’m baffled by the titles here. I’ve been on many sites and most of them don’t have this sort of titling scenario. If you look at the large established library sites, the songs generally have real names, as do many quality RF library sites. I don’t understand the point to naming your song the exact same thing you could just put in a tag. I don’t know how the search engine operates here, but if it uses keywords, I would think the title of a song doesn’t need to be used as a parameter.

When I looked at the top sellers, all I could do was laugh at the number of songs with the same basic “one word” names, and they’re many that mean the same thing - motivation, inspiration, aspire. Is that the ONLY kind of music people search for here? However, the songs are also very good (with a few clones in there). So is it really the naming convention, or are the songs actually better quality and better marketed by their composers? I suspect it’s the quality that’s selling those tunes.

In any event, I’ve decided to just use the original names of the songs and market externally without relying heavily on the search engines. I’m going to just do my best on the tags and figure out the best way to drive people to my page from other locations.

2 Likes

Why people always looking for “the first page exposure” ,it just last a few minutes.
Did you notice items suggestions in other AJ author track page can lead some serious exposure? just take a look at your track page below is other AJ author track listed as “More simillar items” share the same tag, style or name as you do so if you listed in one of that list in other AJ author page your chance will get better but how? The solution is to spread your track into every genre as much as you can.
the more diversity tracks you have, more exposure you get and sales will follow. And try with 2 or 3 max sentence for the title.

1 Like

There was a guy a while back saying that After Effects projects should have better names, and people should move away from epic sci-fi opener and go for more quirky/genre type titles. I believe his suggestion for an epic sci fi opener was “I am your father”.

Now that’s nice and quirky and funny and people who like Star Wars might have a little chuckle… but if you’re looking for an epic sci-fi opener then you’re likely to search for epic sci-fi openers, you’re not going to type “I am your father” in the search box!

Sure, epic, inspiring, corporate, motivational, inspirational, are all overused, but I guess it;s what people are looking for, and it gives them a rough idea of what to expect when they listen to it. It would be great if all the tracks were called “Open the Pod Bay Doors”, “When This Baby Hits 88mph…”, “They do Roam in Herds”, “Kneel Before Zod” and they’ll grab people’s attention for the one hour they might be on the homepage, but I don;t think they;re going to help with sales.

4 Likes

[quote=“SpaceStockFootage, post:35, topic:6505”] if you’re looking for an epic sci-fi opener then you’re likely to search for epic sci-fi openers, you’re not going to type “I am your father” in the search box
[/quote]

Yeah, there’s the catch of it. Unless the search algorithm disregards titles people will name items after search terms. And I think the main point of keeping titles important to the search algorithm is to help people to find items that they already know the title of.

One could imagine a search form where you select “title” or “tags” or “description” from a drop-down menu before you click “search”. In the meantime there’s always the ability to just filter a category by tags.

1 Like

My idea would be this: Envato should literally guide the buyer through the search like this…They should say in the area where the buyer is about to begin a search

“Enter 3 to 10 descriptive keywords for the music track you need for your project”

If the buyer only enters 2…they should not get a playlist and the message should say “oops, you only entered 2, please type in at least one more”…Then a playlist should be delivered based on their 3 (or more) keywords and not the title at all.

However, there should be a “search by title” offering and a “search by author name” offering in case a buyer needs to track down a certain title. Inspire, inspired, inspiration, motivation, happy, should get banned forever. I just can’t see selling 200,000 “inspire’s” being a good thing for authors, buyers, or Envato moving forward.

5 Likes

I guess have an extraordinary track is what matters the most. Like if i think about myself, i hardly remember the name of the track unless i really love its tune or the lyrics for the very first time. So, the first impression is what’s gonna make it for you. So, if the track is really awesome, no one cares what the name is!