Best MIDI software: cubase, ableton, others?

Hi -

I want to finally get back into MIDI production w/my synths … what software out there is your favorite, for using with keyboards connected to pc? I’m going to use my classic synths, plus a new Korg micro for a controller. I know there’s ones like Ableton 9, Cubase? and others – what’s a couple of your favorites, for composing on pc w/midi keyboard controller?

thanks -

Hi graphic4444! My favorite is Ableton for midi! Very convenient automation of controlers! IMHO

Personally i like cubase, have been using it since version 4. It does everything I want it to do and more and works well with the steinberg interfaces and controllers (no midi on the audio interface I use though) I was using logic in the good old days hehe :slight_smile: but no regrets after the switch. The only thing I would say is that it’s still expensive, if cost is a factor? maybe look at Reaper, Ableton is also good.

I prefer Sonar X2 Producer - very good bundle of plugin in package and very useful plugin. I strated using them more and more.

LumenMedia said

I prefer Sonar X2 Producer - very good bundle of plugin in package and very useful plugin. I strated using them more and more.

Mee too! :slight_smile: Ufffff - i was wondering if i´m the only one here using Cakewalk :smiley:

I ´m working on Cakewalk all the time and i´m happy with it. :slight_smile:

Pavel “CHA!”

I also work with Sonar. Very good.

Ahh, you also on the dark side!

Allegro120 said

I also work with Sonar. Very good.

Hi i am working with cubase as host and ableton in rewire mode. Works perfect and you can use all skills from two programs.

Cheers ingo

hey thanks, I’d forgotten about cakewalk and sonar, they’d been around years ago… will trial all of 'em I guess… appreciate the tips guys, thanks -

Hey, you are not alone. I´m using Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer and wonder if I should upgrade to X2. Is it worth ?

Cheers

:reallyevil: Sonar all the way :reallyevil:

which version of Sonar? is Essentials or the Producer or Studio versions better? I’m just looking to record keyboards and sax, and input manually bass lines via keyboard controller, and add drum tracks

graphic4444 said

which version of Sonar? is Essentials or the Producer or Studio versions better? I’m just looking to record keyboards and sax, and input manually bass lines via keyboard controller, and add drum tracks

I also use Sonar (X1 Producer)
Here’s the comparison of Sonar X2 versions:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation/default.aspx?Doc=SONAR%20X2&Lang=EN&Req=Comparison.html

Judging by your description though, you might also be happy about Reaper, maybe?
Good luck!

Al.

Most DAWs these days have almost the same MIDI functionality. However, Cubase is still ahead with many advanced functions, not just for MIDI but for composing as well. To me it is still the King in the MIDI realm; If you use sample libraries you will love the expression maps for example.

Talking about Reaper, I really like it for mixing, it is very intuitive and easy, but in terms of MIDI implementation I think it is the worst of all, I find it frustrating some times to do even the most basic things.

Well that’s my experience. Keep searching and comparing, I’m sure you will find the best option to your workflow. :slight_smile:

Presonus studio one 2 xD is the DAW of my choice and i do midi there too :slight_smile: (i get the sound libraries from other programs)

It worth. Way better and stable

Waderman said

Hey, you are not alone. I´m using Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer and wonder if I should upgrade to X2. Is it worth ?

Cheers

Sonar bandled with better software and has best MIDI recordings/editing functionality.

ArabelleMusic said

Most DAWs these days have almost the same MIDI functionality. However, Cubase is still ahead with many advanced functions, not just for MIDI but for composing as well. To me it is still the King in the MIDI realm; If you use sample libraries you will love the expression maps for example.

Talking about Reaper, I really like it for mixing, it is very intuitive and easy, but in terms of MIDI implementation I think it is the worst of all, I find it frustrating some times to do even the most basic things.

Well that’s my experience. Keep searching and comparing, I’m sure you will find the best option to your workflow. :slight_smile:

+1 for Cubase.
When i was buying my first DAW i wanted to go with Logic. But i couldn’t afford a Mac so i went for Cubase on a PC.
Now there is not a chance of changing DAW(although i finally switched to an iMac). But obviously i think it’s a matter of what you get used to.

again a holywar thread =)
The choice of DAW is only the issue of taste, nothing more. One friend of mine makes REALLY cool works in FL. And these works are not moronic hip-hop beat of a schoolboy but serious music in style of TSFH.
Again, almost all DAWs offer the same set of functionality. But what is ridiculous - that not the DAW makes good sound. Good sound make, first of all, the straight hands and keen ears, then - the VST libraries and plugins. Personally I use little of Sonar’s built-in plugins.

P.S. An offer to AJ staff: make the small icons of main DAWs in the profiles and make a DAW FAQ. I hope, it will reduce the amount of such same topics each month.

gvsmusic said

again a holywar thread =)
The choice of DAW is only the issue of taste, nothing more. One friend of mine makes REALLY cool works in FL. And these works are not moronic hip-hop beat of a schoolboy but serious music in style of TSFH.
Again, almost all DAWs offer the same set of functionality. But what is ridiculous - that not the DAW makes good sound. Good sound make, first of all, the straight hands and keen ears, then - the VST libraries and plugins. Personally I use little of Sonar’s built-in plugins.

P.S. An offer to AJ staff: make the small icons of main DAWs in the profiles and make a DAW FAQ. I hope, it will reduce the amount of such same topics each month.

Yeah would be nice if we could put a badge with our DAW :smiley: