Avada Slow?

Dear All,

I’m currently experiencing a very long loading time with the avada theme (see screenshot). It’s a completely “fresh” installation were I only deployed WordPress and installed the Avada theme.

What could be the problem? It’s been a while since I’ve experimented with WordPress / Avada, but I can’t recall this being so slow?

Best regards,

Jan

Background information:

• I have a “mirror” site (same hosting, etc.), without the Theme and it’s running perfectly.
  • I Installed and activated the Avada Core / Fusion Builder and ran the patches, but it didn’t fix the issue.
  • Avada status:

Avada Versions
Current Version: 7.6.1
Previous Version: No previous versions could be detected

WordPress Environment
WP Version: 5.9.1
WP Multisite: –
PHP Memory Limit: 256 MB
WP Debug Mode: –
Language: en_US

Server Environment
Server Info: Apache/2.4.25 (Debian)
PHP Version: 8.0.15
PHP Post Max Size: 128 MB
PHP Time Limit: 30 - We recommend setting max execution time to at least 180.See: Increasing max execution to PHP
PHP Max Input Vars: 1000 - Recommended Value: 1500.Max input vars limitation will truncate POST data such as menus. See: Increasing max input vars limit.
ZipArchive: :heavy_check_mark:
MySQL Version: 5.5.5
Max Upload Size: 128 MB
DOMDocument: :heavy_check_mark:
WP Remote Get: :heavy_check_mark:
WP Remote Post: :heavy_check_mark:
GD Library: 2.2.5

Active Plugins (1)
Avada Core: by ThemeFusion Avada Versions ###
Current Version: 7.6.1
Previous Version: No previous versions could be detected

@ThemeFusion @ThemeFusion_Support

Hi @vanderweyden

Something odd is going on on your end, particularly the time it takes for the server to respond. I just tested one of the prebuilt sites on GTmetrix, and the results are much better than what you are experiencing > Screenshot on 2022-03-01 at 18-45-35.png - Droplr

If you would like some support, you can submit a ticket here > Submit A Ticket - ThemeFusion | Avada Website Builder and a member of our team will gladly help. If you can’t submit a ticket for some reason, you can contact us here > Contact Us - ThemeFusion | Avada Website Builder

Thank you kindly

4 Likes

In the hope it may help someone else, here’s the reply that I received :
"To speed up the site loading, I recommend you to follow these instructions:

1. Reduce initial server response time 27 Easy Ways to Reduce Server Response Time in WordPress
  2. Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN), e.g. Cloudflare.
  3. Properly size images: How to Properly Size Images in WordPress - WebProTime
  4. Eliminate render-blocking resources https://torquemag.io/2020/10/render-blocking-resources-wordpress/
  5. Avoid chaining critical requests How to Avoid Chaining Critical Requests in WordPress - WebProTime

Also refer to this article:
https://theme-fusion.com/documentation/avada/technical/is-your-site-running-slow/
"

1 Like

As above mentioned didn’t work for me, I asked “If I would renew my technical support and provide all the necessary information (such as adres of myqsl with pasword and login, hosting platform with pasword an login), would you be able to fix it and show me how I can avoid the issue in the future?”

As I response I received the belowmentioned reply (which I’m sharing as it might help someone else):

I recommend you to follow these instructions to speed up the site loading:

Content – building the content

** Less is more sometimes. The more elements/content the page contains, the higher the node count. The more that needs to be rendered. This is the excessive DOM count that is referenced in tests.*
** Avoid an above the fold slider unless important to the design. If you want a large hero image, better to use a static image as a background. If using a slider, the slide is JS driven and needs to wait for the rest of the document to be ready before fully rendering. This will decrease page load scores.*
** Avoid very large images. Large in dimensions and large in file size. Obviously images are important to a website but ensure the choices make sense and are optimized. Clever use of background colors, gradients and lightweight SVGs can often make a big impact for less.*
** Avoid animations above the fold. For the same reason as the slider. Using further down the page is fine, but you want the initially viewable area to be quick and stable (no movement) when loading.*
** If you have a choice between a column background image or an image element (to accomplish the same thing) – use an image element. Responsive capability is superior and loading will be quicker*
** Use layout sections for each area. This is not vital, nor hugely impactful right now, but it may be in the future. When layout sections are used for each aspect of the site (header, page title bar, footer, content) we have more knowledge about what needs to render and therefore assets can be made more efficient.*
** Avoid embeds unless necessary. For example, embedding a third party form or serving multiple YouTube videos on your homepage. Not only do you have to wait for them to load, they often bring with them extra assets which might not even be required. For forms for example, best to use the Avada Forms where possible. For videos you might want to have them on a separate page, or load it within a lightbox instead of on page load.*
** Be selective about your extra plugins. More plugins = more assets being loaded. Also not always optimized to take into account what is already being loaded*
** Create your own custom icon set and disable Font Awesome. If you only plan to use a select number of icons then try out the Avada icons feature and create your own lightweight icon set. Alternatively, if you do still want to use Font Awesome, disable the subsets you aren’t using in Global Options – Theme Features)*
** If you are adding custom CSS in a child theme., chances are you would actually be better to add to the global options custom CSS. This will vary but usually the child theme CSS is loaded separately as part of another request, whereas the global options custom CSS is compiled into the main file with the rest*

Performance Tab – find the ideal option combination (not the same for everybody)

** Lazy Loading – Avada (or a plugin, but Avada’s will ensure carousel and other areas work properly)*
** Font Face Rendering – Swap Non-Icons (you can also use swap all, but it is a balance)*
** Preload Key Fonts (7.2) – Icon Fonts or All*
** Emojis Script – Disable, unless you need it (comment area)*
** Load Stylesheets In Footer – Off. The page shift is usually not worth it, but you might want to ty it first.*
** CSS Compiling Method – File. Only use database if you must, only use disabled if you are actively working on the site and debugging.*
** Load Media-Queries Files Asynchronously – Off. Try it out first, but usually the scores will be worse*
** Enable CSS Variables – Either, but On will be fine as default.*
** Enable JS Compiler – On. With an HTTP2 server it might be debatable but even then more often than not it works faster being on.*
** Enable Progressive Web App – Either. Its unlikely to improve first page load, therefore speed tests wont pick up on why its good. However, for page loads after the first the PWA should improve speed a lot. So it can be nice to enable*

Avada Optimization – turning off what you don’t need

** Turn off Elastic Slider unless you need it (unlikely)*
** Turn off post types you aren’t using (slider, portfolio, FAQ, icons). New to 7.2.*
** Turn off the FontAwesome subsets you don’t need*
** Font Awesome v4 Compatibility – Off*
** Smooth Scrolling – Off*
** Load Frontend Block Styles – Off (unless needed)*
** API scripts (YouTube, Google) Off unless you are using.*
** Disable elements you don’t use in Avada – Builder Options. This will save a little bit of CSS, but overall will be minimal impact in 7.2 since we have improved the JS loading*

Extra Optimization – caching, minification, server

** Ensure you are up to date with PHP. If your host isn’t providing recent versions of PHP you may way to consider switching elsewhere. Newer PHP versions are more performant and will improve server response.*
** Good quality hosting that is suited to WordPress. Will improve server response time.*
** Cache. There are so many options here and different setups. You can have a cache plugin like WP Rocket, super cache etc. Also there is cache offered by hosts. There is loads of information out there on the subject. Just remember, the more cache the more you need to clear and check at update time.*
** Minification. You can use a plugin to improve minification. However beware, you will not always get positive results and like caching you can end up causing problems.*
** Experimentation. Especially with performance plugins, its good to give them a test and find the winning formula for your setup.*

Testing

** Load the page yourself before testing. This is important if you are changing global options and then testing straight away to find the best score. Eg, say you enable a cache plugin and then set GTmetrix to test the URL straight away. The page will not be cached by the plugin yet and therefore you won’t actually be seeing the valid result. Best to visit the page yourself first (just a simple page load in your browse) then test.*
** Google Page Speed. Faster to do than using the website, you can use the lighthouse feature in Chrome developer tools. Lighthouse overview - Chrome Developers*

Hope this will help you out.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jan

Found an old version of Avada (6.1.2) and it seems it is drastically faster than the new version. So with all things considered it leads me to believe that it’s not my hosting partner, nor WordPress, but it’s something in the new version that results in slow speed.

I have the same exact problem as yours, except that in my case only happen just after i modify something by using either the backend editor or the frontend editor, it seems that avada rebuild some sort of cache.
Next loads run faster, but not fast at all, really strange

1 Like

Maybe i found a possible solution, works in my case, in avada → performance set CSS compiling method to database instead of file, even if Avada strongly recommend “file”, in my case set it to database made the website extremely faster!

@vanderweyden
you need clean cache your browsers. thank you.

A small update: I eventually moved to a managed hosting platform (snel.com) which solved the issue for me.

Why? Eventually I purchased a different theme and had a similar issue. Posted the question on their forum as well (Sitespeed Slow (TTFB +10 seconds) - Support | Kriesi.at - Premium WordPress Themes) and someone suggested a managed hosting platform.

Would like to thank everyone for trying to help.

Regards,

1 Like