Authors from India?

As far as i know you don’t have to pay either service tax or sales tax. Service taxes are to be paid for the services provided in India and Sales tax is for products you sell in India. Since envato income don’t fall in any of this, it is more like business income. So you have to pay only the income tax.

1 Like
VProxy said

As far as i know you don’t have to pay either service tax or sales tax. Service taxes are to be paid for the services provided in India and Sales tax is for products you sell in India. Since envato income don’t fall in any of this, it is more like business income. So you have to pay only the income tax.

I take my words back… I think you are correct!

Sorry guys

Yes, we have exemption from paying Service Tax (VProxy is right). But my tax consultant says we have to still file NIL returns if the yearly transaction crosses more than 10 Lakhs (it was 8 Lakhs in the past and the number may vary in the future)

No need to pay but filing returns looks like necessary!

Hi Guys!! Count us in… from Aurangabad MH & Hyderabad.

Nice to see you all… you inspired us. :slight_smile:

Yes, we don’t have to pay Service Tax, or Sales Tax. We, do, however, have to pay Income Tax? Anybody here figured out how to save income tax?

I believe operating out of a SEZ gives you immunity from paying income tax for the first five years. You might still have to pay MAT (at much lesser rates, though).
Anybody tried this out?

Hello everyone!!
Author from India :slight_smile:
Design lead at a Wordpress Development Company India.
Never tried my luck on Envato :wink: will plan sometime soon. :slight_smile:

Hi Guys, I am from New Delhi, India.

As per my CA, we don’t have to pay any service or sales tax.
The service is the tax borne by the customers and service provider pays it to the government.

nCrafts said

Yes, we don’t have to pay Service Tax, or Sales Tax. We, do, however, have to pay Income Tax?

Yes. Considering your earnings badge, I would suggest you to keep in touch with a tax consultant! :wink:

As per my understanding, If anyone earning more than Two Lakhs per year should pay tax. No Excuses :stuck_out_tongue:

VF said
nCrafts said

Yes, we don’t have to pay Service Tax, or Sales Tax. We, do, however, have to pay Income Tax?

Yes. Considering your earnings badge, I would suggest you to keep in touch with a tax consultant! :wink:

Ironically, I was studying to become a tax accountant myself, before I dropped out and got myself into coding and stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

nCrafts said
VF said
nCrafts said

Ironically, I was studying to become a tax accountant myself, before I dropped out and got myself into coding and stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

This may require some experience working with well updated consultants, probably from a network of tax related professionals.

In the past 8 years, I came across 3 tax consultants (to pay Income and Service Tax) and none of them managed to advice / guide me the norms exactly and they are in the field for about 10 to 25 years! :smiley: It may not be their fault but the changing nature of Govt’s polices could be difficult to grasp when it comes to international transactions and my fragmented source of incomes like freelance service and licensing revenues etc :wink:

From the discussion until now, I think its clear that we all are not liable for Service and Sales tax if we sell items on Envato. Thanks to my fellow Indian authors for your replies.

VF said
nCrafts said
VF said
nCrafts said

This may require some experience working with well updated consultants, probably from a network of tax related professionals.

In the past 8 years, I came across 3 tax consultants (to pay Income and Service Tax) and none of them managed to advice / guide me the norms exactly and they are in the field for about 10 to 25 years! :smiley: It may not be their fault but the changing nature of Govt’s polices could be difficult to grasp when it comes to international transactions and my fragmented source of incomes like freelance service and licensing revenues etc :wink:

From first hand experience, the tax and accounting industry is far less organized than what it appears. The laws are complex, and change very often. The tax professionals aren’t very smart either. Most of the professionals in the field are grey-beards who know how to ‘deal’ with the taxman. On a practical level, laws and their interpretations matter far less than we think. Laws pertaining to software, and exports, are very different from tax laws for goods and services sold within India, and most of these professionals have little or no experience in matters relating to software exports. An accountant who specializes in this sector, and has client references, would be a better person to advise you, even if he has < 5 years of experience, over a 60-year-old guy who claims to knows all the tax commissioners in town :stuck_out_tongue:

nCrafts said

An accountant who specializes in this sector, and has client references, would be a better person to advise you, even if he has < 5 years of experience, over a 60-year-old guy who claims to knows all the tax commissioners in town :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly. I understood this after dealing with my first tax consultant and it took around 2+ years to find the right one later, it was tough time! :smiley:

Jahan themes said-|| Assalam Alekum friends i m from jaipur, Rajasthan, india. :) http://yellowobjects.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hey guys, i am from tamilnadu… i am videohive author, looking forward to become themeforest author… very happy to see you all at here… :slight_smile:

I am Sandeep Pandey – Videohive author from delhi

Nissim_Payoneer said

You need to sign up via your Envato account. Go to your Envato withdrawal settings and select Payoneer. You will then be directed to an online application page, which includes the option to sign up for bank transfers.

It looks like this: http://blog.payoneer.com/lower-fees-for-payoneers-global-bank-transfer-gbt-service/

My Bank has no SWIFT / BIC code, but has IFSC Code. Can I use Global Bank Transfer (Payoneer) service for India ?

hello :slight_smile: m from india…have been a member in envato for some time now. Its just recently i started out with some simple items to sell. :slight_smile: nice to meet all of you here :slight_smile:

loving Envato :slight_smile:

My Bank has no SWIFT / BIC code, but has IFSC Code. Can I use Global Bank Transfer (Payoneer) service for India ?

Yes, you can. I’m using it from last one year and its the best withdrawal method for Indian authors.