Authors deactivating plugins on live websites

Why are authors allowed (are they?) to deactivate plugins on a live website if a purchase code is not entered? I just had this happen with author Ladela and the Bookly plugin.

I purchase an addon to the Bookly plugin for recurring scheduling (along with other addons). I setup the plugin to function properly on the live website and we published the ability for individuals to schedule recurring bookings.

Then, it breaks and recurring bookings are no longer available. Why? Because on the purchase code page of the plugin, I forgot to enter the purchase code for the addon.

Now, I can understand not allowing updates or support without a purchase code, but purposely deactivating a live plugin on a live website would appear to me to be malicious. There was no admin notification. The purchase code page doesn’t even state the plugin will be deactivated.

I did eventually find an email notification (which was delivered right to my spam folder).

Is this acceptable behavior from authors? What other code may be present that breaks the functionality of my website? When my support period expires will they try the same thing again and try to force me to upgrade to keep the plugin functioning?

A plugin, script or theme purchased directly from an Envato marketplace is supposed to fully work without needing to provide a license code. A license code requirement can only be implemented for non-core-function related features such as automatic updates, downloading pre-made templates, specifically listed bonus features, and so forth.

But this only applies to items purchased via Envato. If a plugin author is selling additional addons for a plugin via his/her own channels, and you purchased those addons from the author directly via his/her website, and the addon is NOT also available on Envato, the author is in fact free to implement whatever security measures s/he deems necessary in regards to the addon itself, but the core plugin (purchased through Envato) is supposed to remain functional.

Expired support periods shall never impact the continued usage of the item, however - meaning, the author can not disable the plugin (remotely) just because your support period ended, as every item purchased on Envato includes lifetime usage and update rights for the item; “updates” relates to lifetime access to the latest item version that the author is providing via Envato, but the author is of course free to discontinue an item at any time, therefore ending the “lifetime” of an item.

Thanks Tekanewa for the info.

I purchased the plugin from Code Canyon. The author did indeed disable the functionality of the plugin because I didn’t enter a purchase code (after I installed, setup, and published the site using the functional plugin).

I found an email in my spam folder today with this message:

"Please verify the license for Bookly Add-ons in the administrative panel. If you do not verify the license within 7 days, the respective add-ons will be disabled. "

That was sent two weeks ago. Since it went to my spam, I never saw it and last week my plugin was disabled. Is there something in the TOS for authors that was violated?

As a general note, you can’t really blame an author or anybody sending you an email, if that email ends up in your spam folder. Your email provider is doing the filtering here, and the author doesn’t have much control over it. It is your responsibility to at least every once in a while check your spam folder. :slight_smile:

The email you quoted states that the “respective add-on” will be disabled, which is within the authors right, provided (and as explained in my first reply), you purchased that add-on directly from the author and NOT through Envato. However, the main plugin should remain active and still working, just not the feature(s) that is provided by the addon.

Only if you purchased the addon through Envato as well, would the author be in violation of Envato regulations, but most authors only sell the main addon through Envato, but sell any addons/extensions themselves, therefore bypassing Envato’s rules and regulations (although the main reason for selling addons outside of Envato is to not having to pay commission to Envato).

Tekanewa

I purchased the Add-on directly through Code Canyon.

I have a specific license code and Envato purchase history for that specific plugin (which the author calls an addon). I also have an Envato download link for that item and separate purchase code and download link for the main plugin.

Yes, my email provider marked it as spam. But wouldn’t it make more sense (not that disabling functionality on a live site makes sense at all) to put a big admin notice within Wordpress that the plugin is being disabled until the purchase code is entered? That would be at least a minor step in the right direction as emails coming from within a Wordpress site are not always reliable.

I am reading over the Envato TOS and can’t find limits on disabling functionality. Can you point me in the right direction. I appreciate all your help so far.

In that case, completely disabling the addon appears to be against Envato’s regulation (at least, the way I understand them as an author myself) and rather excessive. Unfortunately, I don’t know right now where exactly that regulation would be and even in this public forum, there seem to be conflicting statements about it.

Your best course of action would be to open a support ticket with Envato and get an official statement from them. Keep in mind, that it can take several days until Envato is replying to tickets. :slight_smile:

In general, I agree that an admin notice would be a much better way to go for an author.

I opened a support ticket with Envato. When I get a response, I will post any relevant info here. Thanks for your help Tekanewa.