Author Driven Pricing: ThemeForest, CodeCanyon and 3DOcean

I can imagine Collis sitting on his desk right now smiling looking at the long list of items dropping in price while only a handful authors increasing theirs. :grinning:

1 Like

I can imagine popular themes, that have 1000s of sales huge reviews and ratings going up $30 and then new authors selling their themes for $15 to build reputation before sacking the price back up.

Of course cost of living differs but it will be interesting to see how authors support extensive themes of sold at a huge reduced price e.g $15

Nobody read this bit?

At this stage, I can announce that following the implementation of ADP on our early categories, the marketplace remains healthy. To share with you some very general insights:

• Pricing across the ADP categories have remained very stable (with a small number ofā€¦ letā€™s call them ā€œoptimistic exceptions327ā€)
  • Across popular items, prices have been far more likely to increase rather than decrease. Largely, more authors have chosen to experiment with increasing their prices rather than decreasing them.
  • In the instances where prices have dropped, itā€™s been on dated items that havenā€™t been selling as strongly for some time.
  • Customer behaviour has not changed as a result of the shift, again proving the point that customers have a lot more on their minds than just ā€œpriceā€ when it comes to choosing an item for their project.
1 Like

Just got some very first sales after ADP was put into force, seems like Elite Author come back to rate 69% with $59 item. for cheaper items, it will be lower rate. An apocalypse day for all Blog Author that were only $39 or so.

And guess what welcome to the hell https://themeforest.net/search?utf8=āœ“&referrer=search&view=list&sort=price-asc&category=wordpress

and heaven https://themeforest.net/search?utf8=āœ“&referrer=search&view=list&sort=price-desc&category=wordpress

1 Like

It seems that Avada already rise their price to 60$

I am wondering if some of the less popular theme will try to reduce their price to earn more sales.

100% agree! My new theme has been in queue 10 days!

My new price :slight_smile:

Iā€™m just kidding :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

You finally killed the WP add-on category! Who cares if people was living upon them?

Because canā€™t surely increase an add-on price to 20 bucks. Really. Congrats! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

ADP thats awesome! Thanks Envato :grin:

Is there a way to change prices across range in one go or you have to go one by one?

Its silly to sell at $13
buyer fee is $12
so left with $1 in which envato takes their share again

why sell for penniesā€¦its better not to get sales than getting pennies

3 Likes

Why you should sell it at $13 ? play with the price mate, the world is changing, the prices are increasing. :wink:

I totally agree that the buyer fee is too much for WordPress category, but also you have the chance to increase it as you like and earn more.

I think that most of authors will increase the price too in WordPress category, so you arenā€™t the only one.

Also increasing the price = decreasing the author fee faster = earning more.

2 Likes

I am not worried about new authors selling their themes at $13 and neither should anyone be. Buyers are smart. They want cheap but not dirt cheap. They automatically equate extremely low prices to bad quality. Itā€™s been less than 2 hours since ADP rolled out. Itā€™s too early to assess. Everyone should just take a deep breath and wait a while. Soon everyone of us will know the sweet spot at which the items sell best.

1 Like

or sell none :slight_smile:

There should be a restriction on who can use this feature, such as power elite authors. People who acting responsible since this business is their daily income. There will always be people looking for a quick buckā€¦

I just tried a decreased (5$) price for one of our item, I am curious. :stuck_out_tongue:

all authors will look into the top sellers and act accordingly.
The trend is $60, there should not be a price fixing but I think we should recommend all author to increase all to $60.

and is it allowed to run a discount campaign in a specific period?

hello all , i just developed something for the authors who still donā€™t understood about how much one can actually earn ? ( net earning for each sales ). it can also help other authors to fix their item price etcā€¦ so checkout ** the envato net earning estimator now !**
http://saathemes.com/demo/deec/

1 Like

I have also temporarely decreased price for my social networking script for almost half https://codecanyon.net/item/buzzybuzz-news-maker-social-network/11382855 to see effects.:slight_smile:

Hi @matthewcoxy, I just made price changes on my items but in the listing page (where you browse into categories), it still had the old price. Could you guys turn off the listing page caching? Otherwise buyers would see different price on between listing page and item details page, and it looks very bad!