Author-Driven Pricing Coming to VideoHive

Shouldn’t an amount you earn be higher cuz you are elite

At first I thought this was going to be a decent change, but now it gives me the same feeling of a cat sharpening his paws on my nuts!
:joy:

Envato raised their share for low priced items a lot with this change, that is a pity.

1 Like

Yeah I agree and what about those recommendations I mean seriously they recommend me to set a price of an item that was 14$ to set between 16$ and 65%???

I m not even sure what to do here to leave it as is or to change…now I m expecting a lot of interesting things to happen now

envato either just set the stepping stone for a HUGE raise in overall prices, or a HUGE raise in their share.

It has one good thing, though: there is no race to the bottom as some feared. Because even when you set the prices to the same they were before ADP (not lower) you cannot live off of it anymore.
At least I cannot.

Still totally stunned…

I’m so glad I bought a giant jar of coffee on the way home… gonna be a long day of calculating, thinking and possibly editing!

1 Like

You mean if you lower your price to match the price that was before this ADP

It looks like the whole After Effects category got a fixed buyer fee of $6.

This is insane envato. A logo Reveal is not the same as a broadcast pack. Reconsider this.

There are a lot of After Effects projects that used to cost $12.

From this $12 envato will now earn $8,25 as opposed to $6 before. They raised their cut from 50% to 69% (for a new exclusive author).

Yes, if you want to not have any change for buyers. I was planning to not touch my prices much but leave them as they are. Well, with this huge increase in fees from envato this is not possible anymore…

Let’s see if you will still say that this is a “beneficial thing for all authors” after making your calculations :wink:

Try to leave it, I will maybe from the sales point there will not be a huge difference, buyers will adopt to the higher prices in general…I will try to leave it as is not lowering or raising the prices and see how that goes.

Hey Everyone,

Today, we’re officially launching Author Driven Pricing (ADP) for VideoHive and following up with more information about the Fixed Buyer Fees for video categories. You can read the specifics on the Envato Market Help Center.

Author Driven Pricing is live on VideoHive from today and you - as the Author, can now set the price of your items. As you know, alongside the author’s Item Price, Envato charges customers a Buyer Fee. As part of ADP, the old percentage based Buyer Fees have now moved to a new Fixed Buyer Fee system. With these changes to the Buyer Fee, you may have noticed that the List Price (aka total Purchase Price) that customers see may have increased or decreased as a result.

What has not changed

Please note that these fee changes do not impact the Item Price that you - as an Author, set at your sole discretion, and therefore your item’s earnings per sale remain the same here as well. (Note: For technical reasons where the previous Item Price was non-integer, it was rounded up to the nearest whole dollar amount.)

Authors now have complete independence in setting the Item Price for each of their VideoHive items as you wish. Please read through the article on the Envato Market Help Center carefully and review the following information below for further information.

What do Authors need to know?

Authors can now enter item prices for all available license types for their item(s) into the price text box on the upload page, or on the edit item page.

Price recommendations will be shown alongside the item price field as a guide only. Once you’ve submitted your edits, the price change will take effect immediately. Read more about how to price your items and how promotions work in an author-driven pricing marketplace.

Important Information About Pricing Discussions

Moving forward with Author-Driven Pricing, it’s important to note that there are strict laws governing pricing conduct. In particular, it’s strictly prohibited to have an agreement, arrangement or understanding between competing businesses (such as two authors) about what price point to sell at. How to price your work is a commercial decision you will need to make for yourself. Read more about setting prices responsibly.

Please let us know if you have any general questions. As always, remember to check to see if your question has already been answered and avoid any discussion on the specifics of how you are pricing your item or what you think item prices should be (posts of this nature will be deleted immediately).

Thanks!

1 Like

Some of the authors I m sure will lower their prices just to hope they will get more sales and others will try to earn more by raising the price but overall I think that if you have a good item and your price is reasonable comparing to the market prices now you will still have good sales.

1 Like

When did I say that? People seem to think that I’m always massively in favour of something, just because I don’t feel that every decision Envato makes means they are a bunch of useless idiots who have no idea how to run a business. I prefer to look at both sides of the coin and play devils advocate if public opinion seems to be too one-sided. I think rather than thinking this will be a beneficial thing for authors, my stance has been a bit more “let’s not jump to conclusions… let’s see what happens”.

You really should consider to have different buyer fees for the different categories of After Effects project files. The differences in the categories are too big and prices are too different to have just a one-fits-all buyer fee.

Really, you are killing all lower priced projects like logo reveals and titles.

5 Likes

Getting old, eh?

But I see you don’t have much projects that used to cost around the 10 dollar mark so this change might not be as bad for you as it is for me and other authors mainly focussing on logo reveals.

for everyone in the logo category to still earn the same, buyers have to spend around 40% more. You really think the turnover of videohive will increase by 40% overnight?

No, the turnover will most probably stay the same. But envatos cut of it is a lot bigger now… and authors are getting less.

1 Like

I didn’t exactly mean that. The whole reason I said that was because Envato said that it would be beneficial for all authors… I was using their words. So my point was, in the absence of any evidence that any author could present to the contrary… why not believe that it will be beneficial for all authors?

back-pedalling at its best :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: