Author-Driven Pricing Coming to ThemeForest

If i were a buyer entering tf for the first time and saw this I would probably never return…

2 Likes

@plugindistrict absolutely “spot on” - @matthewcoxy please care for those kind of destructive behaviour. We already have enough of spam in the Marketplaces (unfortunately) - Not good, not good.

In the meantime in the PSD category the only ones selling are the ones priced with $5…I guess that this will be the trend for the rest of the categories… cheap is the new trend

Just sow a $10m price tag on a psd template on themeforest :smiley:
And the weird thing is… the extended license is $110

It just popped into my mind:
The number of sales is, I believe, one of the biggest factors when buyers decide to buy some item of not. So, some authors will lower their prices just to get the number of sales (with possible plans to raise the price later) - most certain way to get "race to the bottom"
This may drive Envato to hide number of sales, at least for non-power elite authors (off course Envato can do that) - another bad thing.

Envato dudes, if you’re “listening” - I know you are serious business, but please, hear the voice of reason (from many of your authors) and set the minimum prices . Let this place come back to be a nice place for most of us.

1 Like

Hey guys. With the help of @OsamaSayegh I’ve updated the small tool I made to include US Withholding Tax as well. This should make it easier for you to understand how much you’re earning for each sale.

Take it for your spin and workout your prices! Cheers guys! :blush:

Later Edit: US Withholding Tax Values added. Tap “What’s my tax?” and you’ll get a table with the taxes for all treaty countries! If your country isn’t in there, you’re at 30% fee.

7 Likes

Please check out the attache Image,
I think, it will take very bad effect our marketplace.
Now what do you think???
Thanks.

Pricing is set by you and you alone. You can choose whatever price you wish! Sell them for 10.000.000$ if you want, it will just ruin your image and your account and it’ll end up being a suicide move. A serious author won’t play with these things. For the marketplaces it’s not bad at all. Every market has a shop with ridiculous prices where no one goes. Buyers will most likely look at the file, laugh, ignore it and move on to serious matters! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

:thumbsup:

You are right bro :slight_smile:

If someone want’s to ruin his own bussiness and to make fun prices it’s his problem. :slight_smile: Better for other authors.

1 Like

Exactly! As I mentioned before, putting astronomical prices on your item will indeed increase your visibility … as in … people will see the HUGE price you have for an item worth XX$ and leave. No advertising, no new visits, no conversion, no nothing. Just a 100% bounce rate. So don’t stress it! Let people make jokes of themselves and their portfolios. It will help other authors that are serious!

Furthermore, pricing an item worth XX$ to 1$ because you think you’ll get more sales, that’s again a great suicide maneuver. Sell a 49$ item for 1$. You get 490 sales and get 4900$ … and at 49$ you’d only need 100. So you get the same amount money in 400% more sales and 400% more support requests with 400% more chances of getting 1 star ratings. This will also only happen IF buyers don’t assume your item is low priced due to the low quality. If I go shopping and I see a Memory Stick that costs 20$ for 128GB and one that costs 1$ of 128GB I’ll most likely get the one that costs 20. Mostly because cheap usually means low quality…

So, end and end, pricing is a great tool for SERIOUS authors, and a great suicide tool for jokers. Either way, the marketplace and serious authors WIN

5 Likes

In my view… it is not a point that it is or it is not a great tool… it is yet another thing we have to worry now about.
For the top sellers that is not a big issue… it is an advantage. First of all they have one theme to worry about, second they can just hire marketing. For the rest its a bit harder, with all the recent additional work load its a bit hard to focus on the creating part.

I decreased prices a little and I already had some sales increasing. :slight_smile:

Well, I think that it’s a great inovation. You can manipulate with your prices and customize it according to the market. Market is oversaturated. Big players took over 95 % of sales. Price competition could improve performance and sales of smaller authors. Also, I noticed that authors increased prices or remained it at the same level.

Am I the only one who thinks that it’s ridiculous to not have a minimum price limit?

$13 for a WooCommerce theme? What would you make out of it - $7 per sale?

1 Like

$0.70 per sale. Give or take.

@BenChan @SpaceStockFootage @DodoWeb @Enabled @LSVRthemes @charlie4282 @Nunforest
Nowadays authors are taking negatively author driven pricing.

Check my forum post here -

Envato must put decision for Minimum pricing and Maximum pricing range.

One of item selling on - $1000000
[Removed]

What it mean ??
Even that author not taking it seriously.

Why it happen from last 12 months ?? Even envato wrote article on it :thumbsdown:

Where clearly shows that -

Finally, a reminder that it is against the law to price your item at an amount other than that which you actually intend to sell your item. This means that “overpricing” your item (for example at $1,000,000), only to then lower your price temporarily in response to a sales inquiry from a customer is not allowed. This conduct is considered by law to be misleading or deceptive, and places you at risk. This is the case for any pricing practice (both overly high or low) where it is clear the author has no real intention of selling the item at that price.

@KingDog, I believe this requires higher staff attention. This indeed has gotten out of hand lately.

When they annouced the Author Driving Price model, the entire community warned them the market would suffer price abuse and a race to bottom behavior, but as always nobody listened to us.

Today they are believing our words and see such ridiculous behavior with price abuse, it is unbelievable authors offering their wordpress theme by a penny of 17 USD for example, getting a ridiculous amount of 5 dolars per sale, those authors dont add value to their own efforts and put the efforts of co-authors on the ground. How to succeed with such abuse? Envato, at least one time at a lifetime listen when we express our concerns, there two consecutive years you are making bad decisions, making blinded eyes only to discover we were right, reset all the decisions taken and bring us back theme forest from 2014.

5 Likes