Author-Driven Pricing Coming to ThemeForest

Now you can see PSD files for 3 dollars. Do people really disregard so much their work? They only get ab 70 cents for a sale? Authors should think if this is how much their work values?
The guy who put his HTML for $5 yesterday, changed it’s price after a few hours with no sales.

Usually cheap is bad…just saying :stuck_out_tongue:

if I want to add item price to 17$, purchase price to buyer is going to be 21$ because 4$ fee, sure I will not get those 4$.

If I am wrong, correct me please.

You’re right… but you’re also wrong! Yes, you’re not getting that $4, Envato is… but that doesn’t automatically mean that Envato are getting $4 more now, than they were before the change. In fact, in your example, before the change… Envato would have got a $4.20 buyers fee and now they’re only getting $4… so they’re losing $0.20 on the buyers fee, rather than getting $4 more.

So now for a $21 item…

List price of $21
Buyers fee of $4
Item price of $17
Authors fee of $2.125

Money to you: $14.83
Money to Envato: $6.17

Compared to before for a $21 item…

List price of $21
Buyers fee of $4.20
Item price of $16.80
Authors fee of $2.10

Money to you: $14.70
Money to Envato: $6.30

so you are saying that we are earning more than before. we really has trouble on this, and our math is not like this. we have count from 17$ item
70% to me and
30% to envato,
our money was 11.9$
and to envato 5.1$,

Since the new rules i am not getting 11.9$, i looked my last sale of HTML template purchase price is 17$ and i earned just 11.37$ instead two days before with old rules 11.9$ was my earnings.

This can be proven from all authors who has HTML template, we are loosing now 0.53$ on each sale.

But this 0.53$ is not big problem to us, we really afraid from small authors who can start uploading HTML templates for 7$-10$, if envato not control it, it can made a lot of problem to all of us.

The graph looks something like this: https://cloudup.com/cX18tVL0cgA

So while what @SpaceStockFootage said is true for the $21 item, you earn less than 70% now if your price is less than $20. At an item listing price of $20 ($16 + $4), you make the same 70% you used to make. However, at $17 it will be ~67%. What’s interesting is that you can earn higher percentage now if you price the item higher. For example, ~75% at $28 price or 80% @ $46. This is just a unintentional side effect of the pricing formula though.

Yeah, it;s different for a $17 item, I was basing the calculations on a $21 item that you mentioned. So yeah, there is a line where if you price it below, you’ll get less than you did previously (percentage wise), and if you price it above, you’ll get more than you did previously. But still, getting $0.53 less (in that example) is still quite a difference form Envato getting ‘$4 more for every sale’.

1 Like

Sounds much like you are afraid of competition with small authors from low paid countries. But this is the reality man. Envato kicked out many players from the market cause they were never afraid of competition and price dumping was never a problem.
I am happy envato has enough willpower to make this strategical step. The next thing they should do is lower the threshold level of the design from perfect to acceptable and add as many new items as they can. This will bring more organic traffic and reinforce their positions on the market.

That would be the worst possible thing to do and would be more damaging than anything.

The balance of quality and quantity that envato offers is the one thing that sets itself apart from any other marketplace.

1 Like

I am sure, and you will agree, that design quality term is a matter of a discussion and is extremely subjective depending upon reviewer tastes. That’s why, by putting the threshold level to high, you cut the range of the products to choose from for the end customer.
No guarantees that acceptable works will have lower sales than perfectly polished works. And we see proofs of this theory every day here

I agree it’s subjective but it will be subjective at any level.

If you introduce more mediocre files then:

• there will be more problems
  • extra pressure on support and refunds
  • more dis-satisfied buyers
  • it will crowd the marketplace and likely damage sales for the higher quality authors which will mean they either leave or produce less

… long term it will drag the quality levels even further down and damage envato’s reputation.

End users already have the biggest and best choice here, partly because of the age of the site but even then more files are approved here than any other marketplace on a regular basis.

It’s the same with anything in life - if something is already the best then people don’t proactively lower the quality

Quality standards are already too low, let’s not turn this place into junkyard.

6 Likes

At 10,020,477 items across all marketplaces, I don’t think buyers are short of choice.

2 Likes

Terrible idea, expect international price drop competition. If this idea somehow goes live, authors especially from the States sales will drop. I can see authors leaving envato for good.

It’s already up and running.

@SpaceStockFootage Now i understand it quite well. Thank you so much for explaining it. I was confused on my sales earnings.

+1

1 Like

Totally agree

1 Like

I think these categories brings least profit to Envato, that’s why they choose those first.
Even you decrease the price to get more sales or increase the price to get more money, Envato still get same money. They are going to create a death race market so only the Spartans can stand still.
We are a team of so many people: student, fathers, mothers…or people who have someone needed to take care of…
Don’t even think this market is just for freelancers. We are in a company with 20+ people in da house.

One more note is that I just lost 3% of my HTML items. Wow, it seems someone robbed my 3% after all though we’ve been working very hard to get those 3%. SPEECHLESS!

Great News! Thank you :slight_smile:

Makes no difference in regards to Wp, there are some lower end pricing items that are amazing and some higher that are full of bloat. As long as you pass the base criteria i feel the price point comes from what Envato thinks will sell. Hopefully this will be a good thing in the end. We can’t really lose - for example, currently a high end priced Wp Theme doesn’t mean it isn’t a steaming pile - just sayin’ :slight_smile: