Audiojungle Reviewers: "Pro vs "Amateur" !!"

To me, regardless of tone, the brass lines themselves are a bit repetitive, which is likely adding to the artificial/sample feel. D C# D D C# D B over and over again, why not vary the melody by one note in between measures, maybe go up to F# instead of down to B, or F# and then to B an octave higher? You can vary the melody without making it too complex or distracting, just enough so that it becomes interesting and gives the listener something to listen to, and I believe your brass lines will automatically become less robotic and “fake” sounding. Tone and technique aren’t necessarily everything when it comes to whether or not something sounds real. Think about all the songs that have sampled the Clyde Stubblefield funky drummer breakbeat. Real drumbeat played by a real drummer, but when you chop it up and loop it endlessly, it begins to sound fake.

A little explication, why is this track repetitive? :Miam:
This is a “build” track. Build track is “the” standard version on this industry. Because video producer can cut wherever he wants.

Great track, And also some great relevant tips here about mix\master etc.

About the horns, for many years I do studio trumpet sessions for a living, and to be honest I would never guess these horns were recorded live… The way the notes fade in and out is just unnatural, as an out-dated brass VST with the wrong articulation settings would play.
The notes aren’t connected to each other to create a coherent lines (1:58 in your track), something a brass player would naturally do, playing with a single breath connecting all notes of the phrase through the air flow.

Live brass has it’s tradition and language as far as intonation, phrasing and arrangement go, you need to be very minded about writing natural sounding lines and avoid over-editing and over-treatment during mixing.

Good luck.

3 Likes

I have to completely agree here. If it is actual recorded brass, you could have fooled me, it actually sounds like a sample VST, and a bad one at that. Decent song though, just needs mixing so that it its not so fatiguing. At the moment every instrument of the mix is fighting for space/headroom with every other element.

I would say don’t give up on it, just work on the mix :smile:

I would definitelly approve this song

+1
BTW, your headline is a bit… presumptuous! :wink:

If AJ is just for fun then why getting upset? Sure one can get upset if no reason was given and they think that their music is a masterpiece. But here they had given you a particular reason that is easily fixed. And live or not it might have been a bad take. So why not just record the brass part over again, it can have its balls and even some hair on it, but it should sound better, give it some life! And if you are working with Universal studios and all that crap that you had mentioned, then you should probably know it for your self.

You can try getting a hold of this user http://audiojungle.net/user/mihai_sorohan he is a good brass player, he could collaborate with you and something great might happen.
Good luck!

1 Like

hoooo… a littlle bit. :wink:
But aren’t this reviewer presumptuous either? :grin:

Actualy no, he wasn’t.
You got a very reasonable soft rejection for your brass sound quality.
Even if you insisit your brass was recorded live (something I’m quite honestly not sure of myself…) than accept it as a mix\arrangment comment and fix it in order to get your track approved.
Cheers :grinning:

If it can be fixed, why don’t you? The suggestions are there. It’s all about acceptance, not who’s right or wrong.
Get rejected also, but try to improve.
Furthermore: prolonging the discussion is not pro.

2 Likes

Agreed. Has some rejects for technical issues, never complained.

Was the only issue they reported involve he brass section or did they have other comments?

I was a music reviewer for an indie radio station and recruited indie bands and composers for a production music library some years ago. Personally, if I was a reviewer here, I would pass on it because it sounds very common and repetitive. Buyers can find something like this anywhere. Maybe there are already multiple songs like this here. I think libraries get to a point where they have to look for more creative material over bulk. Once you hit that phase, you aren’t just looking at production and quality anymore. It’s beyond that and you’re looking for originality. Sorry, but for me, this is “more of the same”.

Otherwise, I agree with the over compression and criticism on the horns and overdriven guitar. In fact, my ears started to hurt a bit after a few listens, which is generally a sign of too much compression for me. Could be due to a build up of multiple compressed tracks or the final compression during mastering was overdone - or both.

1 Like