Audio is Coming to Elements

elements

That’s not at all how I read your post but okay.

But they are asked to do that… you’ve been told that a few times.

But what’s the point of this info/data, if we authors do not have access to it? Since Envato notoriously do not enforce their license terms, then what is this data for?

Well that’s a different question, one I don’t know the answer to. But I’d assume Envato collect subscriber details for the same reason they collect marketplace buyer details… obviously minus the providing it to authors part.

I think this sums up very well a possible solution for protecting the marketplaces, long term. We want at least companies to stay with the marketplace the coming years.

Do you have any intentions to integrate the marketplace with Elements in the future @jamesgiroux ? I do understand you want customers to browse seamlessly around in the Elements world without accidentally falling out. But providing some tiny keys to the marketplaces, like for example info/links to authors marketplace portfolios would be a great way to spill a little earnings and also marketing to the marketplaces.

" obviously minus the providing it to authors part."

And exactly why? WHY would the customer information who is licensing not envato’s music, but the music producers music be withheld from the OWNER of the content?

If Envato wants to behave as if they are dealing content they own, then they should buy it or create it themselves. And to those invited 100 authors in the other private thread, are you demanding that information? Do you not want to see who is “licensing” your music and for which type of project?
Do you not want a copy of every license granted?

Basically Envato has to demand that every time someone clicks “download” they are directed to add license and they must input their name, address, etc…for EVERY download. When the music is being licensed for an incredibly cheap price (practically nothing) There has to be a level of inconvenience/ hardship in exchange for fractions of pennies compensation. Every author should be entitled to a copy of the license. If the customer can pull off downloads instantly with minimal data about why they are downloading a track, they will exploit the opportunity to round up a bunch of music for future projects.

Why are withholding taxes different between Envato Elements and Envato Market?

Updated 6 months ago

There may be differences in the amount of tax that is withheld when you are selling content across both Envato Market and Envato Elements.

With Envato Market, you are selling directly to the customer, so when you sell to a US buyer, the US royalty withholding tax applies.

With Envato Elements, you are selling your items to Envato, an Australian company. (REALLY? AND EXACTLY HOW MUCH ARE YOU BUYING THE ITEMS FOR? $0…right?..I think this is the “corporate exploitation” that AA Media was referring too. Indeed, corporate exploitation is VERY VERY “real”.) Therefore the Australian royalty withholding tax applies. If your country does not have a tax treaty with Australia, the royalty withholding tax is 30%.

Depending on the tax law within your country, you may be able to claim credits for the taxes paid in the US and Australia.

Well that’s a different question, one I don’t know the answer to.

Why Nike or some big companies do not make such subscription model too and we can buy everything we want?
What is the quick awnser to that why they don’t do that model?

The quick answer is that music producers are stupid and allow themselves to be exploited. Corporations know this so they exploit the ignorant and weak. Envato could change policy tomorrow and cut the commissions to 99% to the house and 1% to the music producer and still…thousands of music producers would upload their content to make that 1%.

In fact Elements has exploited authors to the fullest extent…just read above

With Envato Elements, you are selling your items to Envato, an Australian company.

Selling the items for how much? How is the sale legally taking place? And when the author removes their items from elements does that mean the author instantly buys their items back? Are the 100 invitees asking more questions about this?

It is officially at a point where “minimum wage laws” need to be written in order to protect music producers. Otherwise prepare yourself for a new era of “payment by voluntary charity”. Or just don’t participate in the model.

I think you may have misinterpreted this. The article is speaking from the perspective of taxes. When it says you’re selling items to Envato, it’s not talking about the actual intellectual property, but rather the individual sales. Unlike the market, the buyer of each license is Envato. Ownership and control of the item stays with you, just like on the marketplaces.

Companies like Nike can’t practice such subscription model because they have to pay for goods, materials, machines, employers etc. If they get what they are selling for free they could do subscription model.

Hi Bailey, The language sounds clear as day to me " With Envato Elements, you are selling your items to Envato, an Australian company.

So from the perspective of taxes, Envato is claiming that they are selling content that they own, no?

So, they own the content, but only from the tax payment obligations perspective? Sounds weird to me.
We own the content but at the same time we don’t own it. hmmmm…now I am confused.

I don’t see anywhere that this is stated. My understanding is that Envato considers themselves a reseller of licenses provided by you. And in such a case then the above statement is of course true - you’re selling to Envato, not to individual buyers.

Here, since you want to get into legal territory, first let us establish this one basic fact. That Help article is not a legal document and you should not treat it as such.

Let us quote a real legal document then, shall we? Per the official Elements terms and conditions:

• The Items on Envato Elements are owned by the authors, not by us. They are licensed to you under the terms of the Envato Elements License (as amended from time to time) at the direction of authors.

• No ownership: By downloading or registering an Item you’re not actually acquiring ownership of the Item itself, only the license to use that Item

• What we don’t own: We do not own the Items on Envato Elements; the Item authors do. However, we have the right to sublicense the Items to you on the terms of the Envato Elements License.

Bailey, so if authors are maintaining ownership of the content, why would they not get a copy of every license issued for all of their items?

Is Envato publishing a copy of the contract/ terms of service authors are entering into with Elements for everyone to review? or are only the 100 invited authors getting a chance to read that document?

I would assume it’s because you’re not the one selling licenses to customers. Envato is, and so they have no obligation to share their customer data with you. Envato is your only customer.

The document I quoted from is the public user terms on their site. I don’t know about terms that are specific to authors but yeah… I assume they would send a more tailored document when you get an invite.

" Envato is, and so they have no obligation to share their customer data with you. Envato is your only customer."

This is an incredibly clever business transaction. Authors “sub license” their music to Envato (The authors only customer) for $0, but then Envato licenses the content to their customer for subscription fees, but shares the subscription fees with the owners of the content.

Again: What AA Media said “We need to watch out for corporate exploitation because that is VERY real.”

That’s pretty much correct, although instead of “for $0” I would say “with a guarantee that they’ll split half of the customer’s subscription payment among authors whose work they downloaded.”

It sounds like a surrender of (temporary) use similar a lease. The compensation is without engagement, which makes sense. Nobody knows what your compensation will be. So this makes absolut sense but iam just a layman.