Audio is Coming to Elements

Why would any author participate in such a business model? For the opportunity to make a few cents per download? I’m completely baffled here.

6 Likes

Because successful business models rarely focus purely on revenue per sale… they usually boil down to total net profit.

1 Like

That’s all good and well, but we’re not talking about generic products that have universal applications and limitless demand.

Even assuming that video producers would want to use the same music that’s been used on hundreds or even thousands of other videos (a phenomenon that makes little sense at current price points, to say nothing of what will happen under a subscription-based model), the sheer number of units downloaded would need to be astronomical in order for an author to justify production time/costs and achieve a sustainable income stream.

6 Likes

This surely is a successful business model for Envato. But making some, or all, of your items available for almost free has to affect your total earnings in a negative way somewhere down the road. In my opinion.

4 Likes

I really can’t see now how does 16,5$ per month subscription can improve authors revenue. Maybe I don’t get smth (and I really hope so), but right now it looks like this is some crazy stuff.
Nobody wants to earn cents for their hard work.

5 Likes

That’s kind of right… but also kind of wrong. If a subscriber downloads one item in a month, and that item is yours, then you’ll get $15. If a subscriber downloads 1000 items, and 500 of them are yours… you’ll get $7.50

First example is $15 per download, second is 1.5 cents per download.

That sounds bad, and it is, but the point I’m making is that the more downloads you get doesn’t really correlate all that much with how much you earn.

Well that’s the same whether your items are on AudioJungle or Elements.

The main complaint I see is that if you can get a bunch of stuff for the same price as one item… everyone will just use Elements instead. It’s become clear that that’s not the case, as although average marketplace revenues may have been impacted by Elements… there are still plenty of people buying on the marketplaces, and some authors are seeing that their Elements and Marketplace earnings combined… are more than their marketplace earnings alone, before Elements came along.

And you’ve got to think what would happen if everyone stopped buying from the marketplaces and signed up to Elements instead… would that be a bad thing? It seems like it, kind of, but if you take all the marketplace customers and average how much they spend over a month or over a year… is it more than $30 a month, or $198 a year?

1 Like

Nobody earns cents… they earn tens, hundreds or thousands of dollars.

1 Like

In fact, I do not quite understand, it is beneficial for an author to be in Audio Elements or not profitable. I understand that the more buyers are subscribed to the Elements, the more will be the author’s income? But on the other hand, I’m not entirely sure that these revenues will be higher than now. And what about the licenses in the Audio Elements? The same pay(pay subscription) for any license?

Nobody knows yet… give it a few months!

3 Likes

but why do not you ask the authors if they want the element??, because the authors and envato are mutual partners! without each other or who does not work!

2 Likes

They will (or probably already have) ask selected authors. And some author will participate and some probably wont.

3 Likes
  1. Will Elements use existing tracks from AJ?

2. How many authors do you prognosticate to invite to Elements?

7 Likes

Are there any statistics about how customers of Elements behave: do they only download through elements or do the same customers also buy regular “non elements” items?

1 Like

Hello @Sarah_G

One by one every category coming to elements, What is your future plan for themeforest? This will affect themeforest items selling. because now everyone can download most items free from elements.

1 Like

Wow Cool!!!

1 Like

@Sarah_G How will the rules on elements be regarding broadcast licenses? Will there be any restrictions whatsoever in terms of what elements customers can use the music for?

7 Likes

Buried in all that verbiage is “the money shot,” the word may notwithstanding.

Yes, this is exactly what concerns so many authors.

3 Likes

Well I said ‘may’ because I don’t know Envato’s financial figures, of the average earnings per author before and after Elements was introduced to their respective marketplace. My marketplace revenue has dropped a reasonably significant amount since VideoHive went live on Elements… but I can’t speak for everyone.

2 Likes

Bad news. But they probably think they have to compete with the subscription sites that are ripping the earnings out from under us like [removed: link to competitor]
Subscription sites are the beginning of the end for any artist making a living from RF muisc

1 Like

It will be cents

1 Like