Are you using "Thank you for purchasing" cliche?

StencilMedia said

It’s not really a cliche, no more than saying ‘thank you’ to somebody for holding a door open, buying you a drink or giving you a present is a cliche.

agreed.

I agree to the general opinion as voiced in above; thanking your buyers is a simple courtesy and does not degrade the value of your item. In my opinion, it only shows politeness and appreciation. Not a cliche. Congratulating them instead might raise a few eyebrows :wink:

For me it’s not a cliché… It’s actually a feeling :grin:

...without customers there wouldn’t be any sales and you wouldn’t make any money.
+1000

For me your statement would say something like you focus on your product instead of focussing on your customers. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with believing in your product but being successful is much more than great products. It's like lesson 1 in terms of marketing/communications. And thanking your customers is a good thing. My questions for you would be: Why is it a cliche to you? How do you see your customers?

I don’t think it’s a cliché either. It’s a way of saying “thank you for choosing my item instead of other items”. After all, the marketplace contains a lot of similar items, great items and the buyer chooses your product instead of others. It’s always nice to say thank you!

You can call it cliché or just well-educated.

I think it’s an absolutely normal thing to say “thank you” in any way. That’s how I learned it in private and business.

||+853027|-bianca- said-|| My questions for you would be: Why is it a cliche to you? How do you see your customers?
I'm not saying you don't have to be polite with your customers, if it was understood ...
Perhaps the term "cliche" was not quite suitable but my main concern when I opened this thread was to find out how is the best way to address customers after purchasing. Which of these two forms makes customers to feel more satisfied with their choices, to bring them to buy from you next time?

However, assuming that you are a customer, what would make you feel better?
“Thank you for purchasing” or “Congrats on your choice! You just bought an awesome theme!” ?

Saying “Congratulations” does give you a feeling of premium level while saying “Thank you for purchasing” is feels like “Thank you for your money” ?

I’m willing to use them together since both are somehow a common forms of courtesy.

Tiguan said

However, assuming that you are a customer, what would make you feel better?
“Thank you for purchasing” or “Congrats on your choice! You just bought an awesome theme!” ?

As a buyer myself, I think “Thank you for purchasing” is humble and polite enough while still showing the seller’s thankful attitude. “You just bought an awesome product” is a little too much. And not just via emails, in real life conversation I don’t see sellers saying that way a lot. Maybe there are buyers who like it more when you say that, but it’s not me. And my experience as a buyer affects on my behavior as a seller.

“Congratulations” - It’s like that buyer won the lottery. No premium level at all.

“Thank you” - It’s politely and a matter of manners. And it does not mean that the author kisses the feet of the buyer.

Ditto to what most are saying; I politely thank the customer - in both the documentation and also when they should contact me with a question - and I mean it every single time. I always try to do it in a casual, human-like way as well. I don’t copy-paste some pre-thought PR sentence.

It’s pretty flattering when someone picks YOUR creation from among all the others in any given category, so showing a little genuine appreciation is I think the least one could do.

Tiguan said

Which of these two forms makes customers to feel more satisfied with their choices, to bring them to buy from you next time?

The quality of your time and quality support (when needed) are the two things I think that can make a buyer to revisit your portfolio and buy more items from you because they are sure of what they are paying for.

Thank You so much! is the first headline of all my help files, I want the customer to know that I really care on every purchase :slight_smile:

Don’t know if it affects my product value or not, but this is something I’ll never change.

mrcharlesbrown said

The quality of your time and quality support (when needed) are the two things I think that can make a buyer to revisit your portfolio and buy more items from you because they are sure of what they are paying for.

We not discuss here the general criteria to bring customers back, but thanks for your fair opinion.
Which of these two forms makes customers to feel more satisfied with their choices, to bring them to buy from you next time?
As a buyer and as a marketing/communications professional I would definitely choose the 'thank you' quote prior to the 'congratulations' one. The buyers already have chosen for your product and don't need extra convincing. I would think: What and why? Also appreciating your buyer,by communicating thank you, builds your reputation as an author (among other things of course). So definitely thank you :)

I think it sounds a bit cocky to say that to a buyer. Anyways, I am always genuinely thankfull when someone buys one of my items.

Yes, I say ‘Thank you for purchasing my plugin’. I don’t think it’s a cliche. Like many have said, I really am thankful :slight_smile:
Usually, when they contact me because they found an issue or a bug, I also say something along the lines «I’m Sorry for this setback, (etc) ».
I think it’s polite and makes sense.

I’m One of the ones always saying thank you and for 2 reasons.

1. I’m thankful With all this digital mash, it sometimes remains a wonder that someone gets to my theme any way.

2. To show emotion. When someone ask about something and you answer their question it can easily sound to them as if you’re rude, because typing strips emotion from discussions. By starting with a thank you it shows the buyer that I’m not rude or trying to brush them of with my answer, i even took time to say thank you.

Australia said

Imagine buying a Big Mac and as you hand over your mney the spotty kid shouts

CONGRATULATIONS

You would wanna punch him in the face lol

That’s hilarious XDDD

cmoreira said

Yes, I say ‘Thank you for purchasing my plugin’. I don’t think it’s a cliche. Like many have said, I really am thankful :slight_smile:
Usually, when they contact me because they found an issue or a bug, I also say something along the lines «I’m Sorry for this setback, (etc) ».
I think it’s polite and makes sense.

+1

mrcharlesbrown said

I also say ‘Thank You’. Despite how low item maybe priced, it is still not a simple thing for one to sell his/her item so for that, I am grateful and thankful.

+1