Are wordpress theme reviewers even programmers?

Just a question. So a reviewer had soft rejected twice my employeers wordpress theme. With the following message.

1. When/if source is included, it should be a complete path:
    http://envato.d.pr/Wlbu/1vBYISez
  1. This is bit confusing: http://envato.d.pr/4ZbA/1I3eU9ox
  • Widgets by Core
  • Widget Area by your theme
  • Sidebar by your theme.

Our reply to him was this.

1. Please check further the configuration file.
    config.php:84
    ’config’ => array(
    ‘domain’ => ‘thrump-edns’,
    ******> ‘default_path’ => THRUMP_EDNS_PLUGINS_DIR,
    and function.php:20
    define( ‘THRUMP_EDNS_PLUGINS_DIR’, trailingslashit( THRUMP_EDNS_FRAMEWORK_DIR . ‘/plugins’ ) );
    If default_path isn’t defined, then we need to put in the absolute path for each of the plugins.
    http://tgmpluginactivation.com/configuration/

default_path string v2.0.0 Optional. The default absolute path for bundled plugins.
    Typically, this would be set to somethings like: get_stylesheet_directory() . '/plugins/ for themes or something along the lines of plugin_dir_path( FILE ) . ‘plugins/’ for plugins.
    If you set this, make sure the source parameters of the bundled plugins don’t contain the path as well.
  1. There each different things, but they work together as displayed in Widgets by Core.
  • Widget Area -> You can dynamically create any number of widgets ( widget columns/rows )
    The theme provides a couple of zones where you can dynamically change the widgets layouts, that be adding new rows, adding or reducing columns in a row.
    Standard theme have predefined fixed widget layouts, but our theme provides the user the ability to set up the layout of the widgets as he pleases.
  • Sidebars -> create any number of additional sidebars, which can replace the default main sidebar, depending on the settings for specific pages/posts.

While he soft rejected again the theme with the following message.

1. Still an issue: When/if source is included, it should be a complete path: http://envato.d.pr/Wlbu/1vBYISez
  1. Still an issue: This is bit confusing: http://envato.d.pr/4ZbA/1I3eU9ox
  • Widgets by Core
  • Widget Area by your theme
  • Sidebar by your theme.

So this question is just for my future knowledge, we already prepared the changes that hopefully are ok with him as well. Still I’ll be insisting on point 1 since what I’m doing is correct.

http://tgmpluginactivation.com/configuration/#h-configuration-options default_path options description

It seems to me that reviewers don’t actually check the quality of the code, they just enforce things they see fit. Now my main issues here is point 1. As a reviewer you should know how the TGM plugin works since they’re practicaly enforcing it. And after I even explained and showed him the documentation of TGM one would think that they would agree, but not in this case.
I’m in no way of a know it all since you learn new things every day, but I mostly work with pure PHP code, building from ground base, and trying to bring some of that knowledge in the themes I work on.

Anyways how capable of a programmers are these reviewers?

Thank you.

They’re not that capable. Most of them are power elite authors, so I don’t think they know what they’re talking about! Haha! Excuse the sarcasm, but yes, reviewers are extremely capable and very, very, very capable programmers that go through a hellish process to become a reviewer. They are as great as they come! If a rejection is unclear to you, however, you can open a ticket and request clarification. You can however get the same message over again if the message is clear but your skills aren’t up to date. Try sending a message to support, see what they have to say, maybe you’ll get a better explanation! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well to be honest I dare to question some of them. Now I’m not saying the’re not good at reviewing, since it’s there job to spot mistakes, it’s just when I come across rejects like point 1, it’s hard to imagine they are. One other example when I put index.html in every directory. They ask me to remove unused files. While I explain it why it’s there, he understands it, but still it’s questionable, because they should know better. So wordpress isn’t configured with directory indexing off. This allows people to view your directory contents, and putting the index.html in there prevents this, it’s even better than putting index.php since you’re skiping out on the php parser.

Never the less, refusing to acknowledge, that they were mistaken and still pointing out that I’m at the wrong end of the stick is unprofessional. I’m using the TGM correctly, and he refuses to look at the documentation or can’t understand the documentation. Now why is that? It certainly doesn’t seem because his capable.

Please do explain if you think I’m the one at wrong, how am I not up to date? Even when I’m pointing to the documentation explicitly stating the issues his talking about isn’t an issue, it’s just avoiding code duplication, using features that TGM provides.

I’m really ticking at stuff like this so please don’t take this the wrong way.

Actually, you are not using the TGM correctly: http://richtabor.com/themeforest-tips/
(Properly Include Plugins Using TGMPA)

Dude have you even read the documentation? Must I spit out everything?

default_path string v2.0.0 Optional. The default absolute path for bundled plugins.
Typically, this would be set to somethings like: get_stylesheet_directory() . '/plugins/ for themes or something along the lines of plugin_dir_path( FILE ) . ‘plugins/’ for plugins.
If you set this, make sure the source parameters of the bundled plugins don’t contain the path as well.

This is what the documentation says. So how am I using it wrong?

Everyone has the right to their opinion! You asked for feedback, it’s going to come out in all shapes and sizes. Don’t get upset for it! :slight_smile:

From my experience 80% of reviewers are not good developers. They truly ask requests that not have any sense, request that every good developer would not ask. I had to lower the quality of my items, remove features, fragment my project and sure lower the performance due to incredible requests of reviewers.

Are small problems but I still now impressesd, I think I will never understand how someone can ask some of the request I received. Are really out of any logical sense :slight_smile: I will never understand this.

Yeah sorry about that, but if it’s something in the official documentation, I’m using it the right way, as the developer intended, if it wasn’t so then that option parameter shouldn’t exist. So if it exists and I’m using it, how am I still wrong.
It’s correct to use both ways.

1. as suggested by reviewer and @Darinka it would mean this.
    array(
          'source' => get_stylesheet_directory() . '/plugins-dir/someplugin.zip',
          'source' => get_stylesheet_directory() . '/plugins-dir/someplugin2.zip',
    ),
    'config' => array(
        'default_path' => '',
    ),

2. the second way: which i used
array(
      'source' => 'someplugin.zip',
      'source' =>'someplugin2.zip',
),
'config' => array(
    'default_path' => get_stylesheet_directory() . '/plugins-dir/',
),

This is just a simple representation.

This may not work on child-themes. You will probably get another rejection message.

I just took it out of the documentation:
‘source’ => get_stylesheet_directory() . ‘/lib/plugins/tgm-example-plugin.zip’, // The plugin source.
It should be get_template_directory(), but as stated it’s just a simple representation.

No worries. This is why I recommended opening a ticket. It will put you in touch with the quality team and they’ll take your explanation into account if relevant. At the end of the day, they’re the only ones that decide if an item gets approved or not, and they don’t usually hang around the forums, so chances of them seeing this are quite slim. Open a ticket and they’ll get back to you and you can debate this issue directly with them if you’re correct ( because this is out of my league, I just build front end items for my account, and being a moderator I have no access to the queue ) they’ll take your info into account and approve your item. If you’re not correct, they’ll give you a reason as to why you’re wrong about building it that way. Cheers! :slight_smile:

I just noticed one of the “Elite Author” at ThemeForest as well. I mean, if Envato decided to hire him/her as a reviewer, I’m fine with that but ethically they should have chosen a new account as a part of the review team and if they want to sell the themes, they could’ve use another account. Am I wrong?

I guess there may be some truth behind this “sarcastic statment” then? Which is fine, I don’t mind this, the only thing that made me really upset was that the reviewer explicitly ignored my explanation even when I pointed out that I’m correct and have used tgm correctly. Anyways, we have got another soft reject with 2 minor layout/translation issues and 2 more “issues”.

So one of these issues is that whenever wordpress is in debug mode redux framework plugin decides to put his news dash widget to the dashboard. This is plugin related which we have no control over it, since it’s directly from wp repository, and since wordpress is ok with that, I guess there is no issue here.
http://envato.d.pr/1fT8f

The second “issue” is this:
3. Please disable force_deactivation: http://envato.d.pr/WP1S

Now I want to state that I don’t think the theme had been re-submited yet, so what reply I have prepared about this point, hasn’t reached the reviewer, yet.

Further more, I won’t be explaining this in here, yet, why this isn’t an issue and why it’s required. I’m hopping some fellas here will be more interactive and maybe try to stat his/her opinion why this is a good idea to keep.

Cheers