Anybody considered moving somewhere cheaper?

Come to Romania man :slight_smile: compared to UK is haven on earth, I know this because I go in UK for treatment every three months and Iā€™ve seen how you live there is simply horror and the food is pure poison everywhere.

3 Likes

Rent a room in Poland. Remember to use headphones at night.

1 Like

@BeSquares @SD_sound @FWDesign Shhhht!! Donā€™t keep telling me that! Because you all I will be visiting all those places soon then! hahahah

1 Like

@SonicFox, Thanks! Iā€™d forgotton about that site, really puts things into perspective about living somewhere else! @BeSquares Cool, hadnā€™t considered Egypt, Iā€™ll add Sinai to a list of places to check out online when iā€™m stuck inside because itā€™s raining haha. @FWDesign Iā€™ll definitely come for a visit, been planning to see Bucharest for a while now. Any other places worth seeing that might not be obvious? @ShymonMusic, Iā€™ll be in Krakow for a few days next month, looks like a fantastic place, I might plan to stay longer or check out Warsaw as well. Itā€™s a bonus that flights are really cheap too!

Bit insulting really donā€™t you think. :roll_eyes:

We have many many Romanian people living here that love it :wink:

The food is amazing btw, what nonsense.

2 Likes

Did you google ā€œexpat forumā€? You can find tons of practical information.

I think that Portugal is really great with the wonderful nature you can enjoy, bright prospects and profound historic culture. Great food, good climate most of the time, and relatively affordable living expenses. The internet speed is fast enough. Check out Vloggers of Eight Miles from Home. They show what expat life would be like in Portugal including educated summary of pros and cons of living in Portugal as well as how much they need to spend to live there.

I am originally from south of Japan. I like that environment where you can go for a walk in fields and get snacks from convenience store 24 / 7. I used to like to see the nature around from a hill while eating and drinking foods bought at a convenience store nearby. I liked to drink beer bought at a convenience store and see that stars above the sky early in the middle of the night after coding. Can take a very decent bath at the exact water temperature of 42 degrees every day. The hot shower never gets cold all of a sudden. Toilette is superb there. There are quite many restaurants to choose from. And the internet is really fast. But life there tends to be more expensive in many ways.

2 Likes

I can surely attest that Portugal is a fantastic place to live in Europe like @anon14379562 told. Iā€™m Portuguese and I spend my life between Paris and Lisbon for professional reasons. In Portugal you can live a peaceful and inspiring affordable life if you donā€™t choose to live in the main cities or the most sought after touristic places. In Portugal and Spain youā€™ll have the best climates in Europe and really nice food, wine, nature and friendly people. Criminality is really low, as well!

2 Likes

Thank you for such an insightful message! I have checked out expat forums before and spoken to people from Spain and Cyprus. Iā€™ve been to the Algarve before and had a fantastic time too. Iā€™ll be sure to check out the Vlogs on Portugal, great advice. Will definitely be useful to see how much they spend.

Where I live right now is very residential and I often spend a lot of time working inside. Iā€™d love to trade it all for the description in your second paragraph!

I think Iā€™ll plan a few trips throughout the rest of the year and see if I can get a good feeling about one particular place. Iā€™ll take some equipment with me so I can write on the road.

1 Like

Fantastic. Iā€™ll plan a visit for later this year. Are there any areas that you think might be worth a visit? Affordable but with a great lifestyle is exactly what Iā€™m thinking. It would be nice to still be close enough to a main city too.

Not far from Lisbon youā€™ll find many places, as well as near Porto. On the Atlantic coast, mainly. Life is better near the sea and not as expensive as it is on the south (Algarve). Alentejo is great, all its coast is beautiful and youā€™ll have affordable little villages to spend a nice time. Near Lisbonā€¦ Torres Vedras is a cool little city with great beaches around, as well as Caldas da Rainha. More to the northā€¦ Figueira da Foz, Aveiroā€¦ great places, as well. Porto (and surroundings) is a fantastic city to live. I was living there for some years and I love it! Wellā€¦ travel and discover for yourself, but I think you could spend a great time here! On summer Iā€™m almost all the time in Portugal :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, think a road trip is in order! Iā€™ll be sure to have look on google for all the places you mentioned. I think iā€™d better start practising my language.skills! If I do come over this year the first Super Bock is on me haha.

hahahaā€¦ OK the second one is by me. But I prefere Sagres to Super Bock, a bit more sour but itā€™s my favourite. Both great beers, BTW :smiley:
You donā€™t have to worry too much abt the language 'cause almost everyone here speaks a little english. When you decide to come gimme a shout!

1 Like

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwVF9b8h80
Heā€™s also form England and live in Chiang Mai Thailand.

1 Like

Worth noting is that most of the expats/digital nomads working online in Southeast Asia are there on tourist visas, so theyā€™re not actually legally working there.

If you, as a European, are looking to legally move and live somewhere long-term, Europe would be the simple option.

1 Like

This is the truth :laughing:
I have a friend from US living in North Borneo part of Malaysia for almost 5 years. He just use tourist visa and every 2 months he always travels to another Southeast Asia country for sometimes and get back again to Malaysia.
The imigration officers in Southeast Asia never getting suspicious to foreigners from Europe, USA, or Australia :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

true. I live in Romania as well, but I canā€™t say ā€œRomaniaā€ is heaven compared to UK. UK is the land of music since decades, they are one of the best countries in EU, they have nice people and overall, UK would be a place for lots of romanians to go to :slight_smile: not the other way around. To be honest, UK is years ahead Romania in many things. But whay my fellow FWDesign is trying to tell, is that although Romania is not so ā€œWesternā€ country like UK, Belgium, Netherlands etc, itā€™s still a ā€œheavenā€ here because of the cheap life (you donā€™t have to spend all your income on little things, you can have enough and save a lot), the country side is awesome, so you can relocate in the beautiful mountains cabin, or hillside, people are warm, everything is so cheap compared to UK, food is good in the way that most of our stuff is organic, people from countryside come to towns and sell their organic / bio food, and overall itā€™s a good place, if you find a place that you like, to inspire you to make your music while still having a lot of cash earned in your pocket. But again, you can go for Spain, Italy, check out Berlin in Germany as a definite place for musician etc.

2 Likes