Any update on multi-use/developer or volume licenses?

mordauk said

I’ve begun doing the same thing as DTBaker: allowing people to use extended licenses as developer’s license. I know this violates the license agreement with Envato, but what are we supposed to do?

That is of course an option, but the Extended License on Codecanyon is prized to low with only 5 x the regular license price. Compare that with a theme on Themeforest where an extended license cost 50 x the regular license. Of course it takes longer time to create a theme, but some of the biggest plugins on Codecanyon also takes weeks or months to create. :slight_smile:

RightHere said
mordauk said

I’ve begun doing the same thing as DTBaker: allowing people to use extended licenses as developer’s license. I know this violates the license agreement with Envato, but what are we supposed to do?

That is of course an option, but the Extended License on Codecanyon is prized to low with only 5 x the regular license price. Compare that with a theme on Themeforest where an extended license cost 50 x the regular license. Of course it takes longer time to create a theme, but some of the biggest plugins on Codecanyon also takes weeks or months to create. :slight_smile:

Oh I know. It’s by no means optimum, but I would rather have a extended sale then a user deciding to not purchase at all because they can only use it once.

I’ve also been asked abut this quite often, especially by developers wanting to add Facebook page creation to their services, but I have no idea what to tell them.

Something needs to be done, not just talked about. It’s a sad fact that now, at the age of 40,I’ve been involved in politics for 28 years, and this sounds very familiar to me.

“Yes, unemployment is an issue that we will need to discuss. We’ll put together a focus group to see how people feel, then put together a group of people who can discuss the best people to discuss how to deal with it, these people can then find the best time to all meet and discuss the issue.” This goes on and on until people just get fed up waiting.

A warning to Envato on this though, it generally means the voters change their allegiance…

mordauk said

Oh I know. It’s by no means optimum, but I would rather have a extended sale then a user deciding to not purchase at all because they can only use it once.

You are right! We do sell quite a lot of Extended Licenses and most people don’t understand that its NOT a license that let them install the plugin on an unlimited number of websites.

Is anyone on the Envato Staff still working on this?

Like many other authors on this thread, I receive request for developer licenses as well. I was actually in the process of writing one up when I realized my exclusive agreement with Envato restricts me from doing so.

It is frustrating to tell potential clients that we don’t have a reasonable solution for something this simple.

I will continue to post on this thread to keep this issue alive and on the minds of Envato staff… I’d advise other authors to do the same.

I just hope it doesn’t become one of those things where we are told it is beign worked on, then forgotten about when the posts die down.

JeffreyWay said

Hopefully, the upcoming changes will clarify everything. No one can deny that the terms of each license are very confusing.

ANY update to this would be amazing, i dont see how it can take so long to change some words.

Moonworks said

I just hope it doesn’t become one of those things where we are told it is beign worked on, then forgotten about when the posts die down.

Its starting to look like this is the case.

anyone think a petition would help?

Hi, I think you may have misunderstood my post. I don’t have any affiliation with any third party sites. I was simply sharing a real world example of effective, low cost developer licensing. It was meant to offer some helpful additional viewpoints and clarity to this thread. Sorry if I didn’t word it as clearly as I could have.

I’m adding a comment to this thread to provide another consumer’s point of view and perhaps help out the original poster.

I asked SevenSpark (this thread originator) about getting a developer or multi-use license to one of his plugins. He said Envato was “looking into it” but nothing has happened yet.

I strongly suggest that Envato and/or CodeCanyon do this. EVERY paid plugin I use (on over 30 websites) offers a multi-use or developer license. It is factually the business model for professional plugins. So why not here?

I see through this thread that it was being “looked at” but that was nearly a year ago. I now will need to look elsewhere for a solution. If I find one with a developer’s license, it’s a sure bet where I’ll be spending my money.

Yh, envato are not exactly the best when it comes to prioritising things, or maybe they are just not working on anything at all…

I find it really frustrating that we have to tell customers each week that Codecanyon doesn’t offer A developer license, which let the customer use the plugin on multiple websites. We get requests EVERY week for this.

We asked for this more than a year ago first time and if you read through this thread you will see both frustrated authors and customers enquiring about this. What is the reason why we can’t get an official statement on this?

Besides that we do love the Envato marketplace … Keep up the good work :wink:

I agree, its in the interest for buyers, authors and envato to make this happen.

It’s in the pipe… :evil:

revaxarts said

It’s in the pipe… :evil:

yh, its called non exclusive haha

the one-site license restriction is too much for here; agree developer’s licenses are way long overdue especially for plugins since that’s what EVERYONE else who sells WP plugins for example offers, in the known universe of other places I buy plugins.

It’s like $30 for single-site, or $90 for developers’ license, which allows unlimited sites type of model for other places. For that matter, I’d like to have some small-number of site usage license, like up to 5 of my own sites, at 2x the single-site license cost, for example.

Envato let’s hear something?

Just don’t like to add another complaint but here is the fact. As long as any feature / change fits entire set of marketplaces, possibly it will be in the real pipeline and we can see it live in reasonable time.

But when it comes to marketplace specific features (including license terms & options), I don’t think Envato has such preparations / resources at all; or may be too complex to fit such things in to their existing business model.

“AudioJungle needs playlist? CodeCanyon needs developer license? No, don’t invest time on that because we don’t need them on other marketplaces. We are Envato, not CC, TF or AJ etc…” But in the real world, the user/members arrive here with marketplace/industry specific needs.

Hope they will workout in the future and arrange themselves to focus individual sectors efficiently.

I’d just like to see some progress on this matter. Any progress at all. Changes made to the licences a few months ago were OK but really minor. Wish things would move a long a bit faster.

Hi guys,
Just letting you know I’ve passed this thread on to the relevant staff members so we can look into the most recent feedback. As always, thank you. :slight_smile: