Any update on multi-use/developer or volume licenses?

BackuPs said

My calculation example some how got lost. Don’t know why but here it is again.

I wrote “If i build a 1000 websites i need:”

1000 X $40 for a theme at themeforest
1000 X $14 for the Ubermenu plugin from Sevenspark
1000 X $25 for the Styles with shortcode from Righthere
1000 X $20 for the Whitlelable branding from Righthere

1000 X $99 = $99.000 Total

I totally agree with you that is a bit crazy if you have 1,000 websites (individual installations of WordPress)

However if you have a WordPress Multisite installation and run all your 1,000 sites off this (with their own domains) - then you can just pay:

1 Extended License $40 x 50 = $2,000 for a theme at themeforest
1 Extended License $14 x 5 = $70 for the Ubermenu plugin from Sevenspark
1 Extended License $25 x 5 = $125 for the Styles with shortcode from Righthere
1 Extended License $25 x 5 = $125 for the Whitlelable branding from Righthere

Total $2,320

That is better than the $99,000 in your example! :wink:

I suggested that we made it possible to do volume. Create a Developer License that lets you install the plugin or theme on 10 clients or 20 clients. Maybe also a unlimited version. However i’ve seen many themes and plugins sold outside Themeforest and Codecanyon where they have the 10 or 20 client limit.

yh, its a shame because if you did have lots of sites you would just go to a developer and say “copy that script” because it would cost you less then paying the creator of the original script…

not sure if its allowed but if i had a request like that i would make something more custom to the user.

Hopefully, the upcoming changes will clarify everything. No one can deny that the terms of each license are very confusing.

just wondering whats the status of the licence wording change is…

This is such and important topic that have been discussed numerous times, but we still don’t have a really “official” envato feedback on this.

I’m sure this has been discussed on Management level now several times and among envato developers, but what is being done?

This probably don’t have top priority I can imagine there are other things more important, but it would be nice to get an idea where we are. Almost every week we get the question about multi-license or developer license for plugins. And I’m sure theme developers get the same!

Any news at all ? :wink:

We’re also eager to get some news on this.

I think everyone would like an update regarding this.

It’s bad to say but if we complain/talk about it enough it will happen.

At this point I would be happy with any update, even on the licence wording…

I don’t see how that the fact that it is a legal issue makes it take any longer, especially when you have an in house legal team.

This is something I hadn’t yet considered., but something that is vital to understand - not only as a developer but as a purchaser.

Hi Chris,

Although a Wordpress MU would solve my problem a bit it is however partly the solution to this problem.

What if customers want to leave and take their website with them? They get the content but not the used plugins?

And how to run 1000 websites on one server? That should be a very fast one i guess. Or it should be one large virtual server which can be expanded easily.

However your idea was already keeping us busy and we were already considering about going that way. Actually, we were already thinking about that because maintanance on more then a 100 websites is not workable for us. This can only be done easily from a mu wordpress solution. But it does not bring the authors the money they deserve for their work.

In my honest opinion it would be nice if Codecanyon deals with this problem on a short notice because it has been discussed over and over again and nothing happens. They should be able to come up with a solution for this. Not?

I wonder why does it take them so long to tackle this problem?

Best regards,
BackuPs :slight_smile:

BackuPs said

Hi Chris,

Although a Wordpress MU would solve my problem a bit it is however partly the solution to this problem.

What if customers want to leave and take their website with them? They get the content but not the used plugins?

And how to run 1000 websites on one server? That should be a very fast one i guess. Or it should be one large virtual server which can be expanded easily.

However your idea was already keeping us busy and we were already considering about going that way. Actually, we were already thinking about that because maintanance on more then a 100 websites is not workable for us. This can only be done easily from a mu wordpress solution. But it does not bring the authors the money they deserve for their work.

In my honest opinion it would be nice if Codecanyon deals with this problem on a short notice because it has been discussed over and over again and nothing happens. They should be able to come up with a solution for this. Not?

I wonder why does it take them so long to tackle this problem?

Best regards,
BackuPs :slight_smile:

(Assuming I’m the Chris this is directed at) I think you’re confusing “multi-use license” with “WordPress Multi User license”. I’m not suggesting a WPMU (now WPMS) license. I’m suggesting a license that can be used multiple times. The discussion is not WordPress-specific. As a sidenote, my understanding is that the regular license does not cover WPMS/WPMU usage, as these installations create multiple site instances.

sevenspark said

(Assuming I’m the Chris this is directed at) I think you’re confusing “multi-use license” with “WordPress Multi User license”. I’m not suggesting a WPMU (now WPMS) license. I’m suggesting a license that can be used multiple times. The discussion is not WordPress-specific. As a sidenote, my understanding is that the regular license does not cover WPMS/WPMU usage, as these installations create multiple site instances.

Hi Chris

My reply should have been addressed at righthere and not to you. If you look back they suggested the multi site or mu install of wordpress.

I’m most certainly not confusing MU license with a wp mu install.

Best regards,
BackuPs

I guess things turned completely silent. We are not getting any official information on this :expressionless:

Hey guys, I’ve requested further follow-up for you again, so hopefully we will hear something soon on this.

Thanks so much for your patience so far!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to clarify exactly what is changing when. The first round won’t be a change to the licenses themselves, but more of a clarification of what we already have. We want to make sure they’re 100% clear to everyone who reads them. That means mean that, in the short term, there’ll be no changes to allow volume discounts or multi-user licences - both the regular and extended licences are for ‘single application’ type uses, with the key difference between them being whether the end product is available freely or for a fee.

LanceSnider said

That means mean that, in the short term, there’ll be no changes to allow volume discounts or multi-user licences.

:frowning: so what should we do is someone has lots of sites, because we cant legally say buy a extended, surly it does not take that much time/money to make another licence type for multiple licences even if its by a custom query

aaranmcguire said

:frowning: so what should we do is someone has lots of sites

my personal opinion: given there is no other option at the moment (and only if envato staff don’t correct me on this), just give your customer the option to purchase (eg) 5 regular licences or a couple of extended licences and you give them permission to use the item for the custom purpose they need (eg: to install it on multiple sites, sell parts of it to their customers, or whatever need the customer has that doesn’t fit within the current licencing terms)

I think it is now almost 8 months since I asked about Multiple licenses, developer license, automatic update for WordPress theme and WordPress plugins. I sound like a broken record :S

And multiple times I’ve been told that Envato staff have been talking about this. And even that some of it is under the way.

We have people every week asking us for multiple licenses or a developer license for some of our plugins. And all we can say it that Codecanyon don’t provide that.
Last week we had a client asking to license one of our plugins for 400 websites, but the license terms on WordPress plugins sold on Codecanyon is so vague.

I’m aware of that the PHP code has to be licensed under GPL, but any CSS and javascript you created your self can be protected under a different license.

Will anything every happen on this topic? It is the same with auto update of WordPress themes and WordPress plugins. This has been discussed for months, but no official news.

I’m sorry if I sound cranky and irritated - I love the Envato Marketplaces, :wink: but we need some official response on this. This is clearly slowing down business now! It is not something that is technically challenging to create.

I get requests every single week as well and would love to finally see this come around. I know there are legal areas to consider, but surely it cannot be that difficult.

I’ve begun doing the same thing as DTBaker: allowing people to use extended licenses as developer’s license. I know this violates the license agreement with Envato, but what are we supposed to do?