Any update on multi-use/developer or volume licenses?

I know this has been discussed in the forum several times over the past year, and I was under the impression that something was in the works, so I was wondering if there was a status update.

I receive 5 or 6 requests a month from buyers who want to be able to use my plugins on multiple sites, some in high volumes. When I explain that they must purchase an individual regular license for each site, this is often unfeasible for them. For example, I recently had a customer who would like to use one of my products on almost 500 separate sites; beyond the obvious financial considerations, they were greatly discouraged by the fact they’d need to buy each license one-by-one (a huge inefficiency).

Most of these customers offer to strike up a deal with me directly. Of course, I always have to decline these proposals due to my exclusivity agreement here (which tends to frustrate them). I have no desire to work outside the Envato system; but I wish the system would accommodate this scenario.

The long and the short of it is that I feel I’m losing substantial business over time, as customers either opt to seek other solutions or simply abuse the licensing terms for lack of a better option.

I think that either a developers’ license or a tiered volume-based discount approach would really help out customers and authors alike. Even just being able to buy multiple licenses at once (without a discount) would be a step in the right direction. Another option would just be to make the process manual in these cases - allow the customer, staff, and author to sit down and negotiate a deal on a case-by-case basis (“Contact us for volume pricing”).

I’d love to know if this is currently in the pipeline and if there’s an expected date when it will be available.

I completely understand that there are other tasks in the development queue with deservedly higher priority, and I don’t question that the devs are hard at work on important tasks.

Just wondering if there is a plan in place to solve this issue :slight_smile: I believe there would be a lot of support for this from both the buyers and authors in the community.

Thanks to the devs and staff for all their hard work making this marketplace great!

Best,

Chris

Hey Chris,

Fair points, thanks for letting us know about this and why it’s an issue. I’m not sure of the details or if progress has been made in this regard, but I’ll followup with some of the marketplace team today and see if I can get them to reply :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response, Drew! :slight_smile:

sevenspark said

I receive 5 or 6 requests a month from buyers who want to be able to use my plugins on multiple sites, some in high volumes. When I explain that they must purchase an individual regular license for each site, this is often unfeasible for them. For example, I recently had a customer who would like to use one of my products on almost 500 separate sites; beyond the obvious financial considerations, they were greatly discouraged by the fact they’d need to buy each license one-by-one (a huge inefficiency).

We definitely receive the same number of requests if not more. And we have customers buying the Extended License because they think its a developer license and they are bummed when they discover that its not.

It has also been suggested to add a discount for volume buy. The top selling WordPress plugin on codecanyon, who is no longer being sold on codecanyon now offers a personal license (1 site), business license (3 sites) or developer (10 sites).

And the price ratio is 1, 2 and 5. I think these guys definitely got their pricing right.

Great that we get a new updated look on the settings page, but if it ain’t broken then don’t fix it. :smiley:

Right now we need new features as we are suffering because we lack them. :wink:

Besides that keep up the great work!

Update - Some of the team are meeting sometime next week to discuss more about licenses and where we can improve. These things usually take time, but I’m emailing the necessary staff this link so they can be sure to keep the issues you brought up in mind :slight_smile:

CreatingDrew said

Update - Some of the team are meeting sometime next week to discuss more about licenses and where we can improve. These things usually take time, but I’m emailing the necessary staff this link so they can be sure to keep the issues you brought up in mind :slight_smile:

Great, thanks for your attention to this, Drew! If it is possible to provide us a status update after that meeting, that’d be really fantastic. I totally understand that it’ll take some time, but even just being able to tell customers “they’re working on it” I think would be an improvement :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank you very much for following up on this! Rome wasn’t build in one day, but it would be nice to hear if there is any progress. :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

No problem, happy to help. I passed it along to Collis and the rest of the guys that are having a meeting on it. I’ll do everything I can to squeeze out some information if anything comes from the meeting and update you guys :slight_smile:

how about selling mass licenses with percentage based discount? because if buyers are going to use it on many sites (like sevenspark said, a client wanted to use it on 500 different sites) then the developer needs to get a fair share as well …

so what if there was a textbox where the buyer could specify say he wanted to buy 30 licenses and he receives say, 20% discount on the total amount or something … won’t that be more just?

Did anything slip out from this meeting ?

As the customer of Codecanyon mentioned above, & also of SevenSpark, I thought I’d give you my fair comment on multiple licences.

But firstly, having been in business a fair few years, our business credo: ‘Ask the customer what they want, then give it to them, as fast as we can.’

That should be everyone’s credo these digital days. Especially since there’s always another hundred equally talented coders/programmers/developers/affiliates around the corner getting ready to do it faster than you & me.

My hat’s off to Chris Mavricos at SevenSpark for a great WP Menu plugin & support service. However, let me put this into Customer Perspective >>

As my partner & I , a micro-business, launch our 480-odd affiliate-based online retail product stores over the coming 12 months, we’ve got much better ways to spend our time-cost — than logging in to buy a few UberMenu licences at a time. Especially paying ‘through the nose’ because your company possibly sees it as too complex to multi-license or too much short-term income lost from customers bulk-buying licences.

480 Wordpress + Datafeedr-driven websites using UberMenu = US$6720 overall cost. That’s what we’ll be paying — just for a fancy menu plugin (no offence, Chris). Might as well pay a coder to develop our own custom version to justify that sort of budget spend, folks!

Since Chris M. & I discussed your licensing policy, & having done the sums myself, I’ve seriously googled this week for comprehensive WP menu plugin alternatives, & it’s looking very good, believe me.

And of course, my business partner/wife okays ALL expenditures. She’d prefer to see me spend workhours searching, testing & implementing a fairer solution (say, $100—$200 for Unlimited Licences) than what we’re looking at right now through a limited/out-of-date (no offence, CY) CodeCanyon’s purchasing/licensing system.

I suggest you have a squizz at PremiumPress’s powerful store-building theme packages for an example of a truly workable licensing policy. It sells very nicely. After buying the basic $79 ShopperPress package, we went & bought the full VIP Collection Pack for US$249 Unlimited Websites (that we develop, not for resale, how easy’s that?).

Try this URL: http://www.premiumpress.com/club for $249 (then $70 Rebate for existing customers, wow!)

If I had your business, I’d be saying, “Heck, yeah! Sell 'em more. Sell 'em faster. Multi-licence packs, hooray!”

Like I said earlier, “Ask the customer…”

Anyway, I, & all your other customers yet to be, look forward to your solution soon.

Cheers :wink:

In the early days when I didn’t fully understand the licenses I was telling customers who wanted a multi-use license just to buy the extended license.

I also did quite a few custom licensing deals (ie: you buy 10 items and I’ll let you use it unlimited times) on a number of occasions.

Hoping to see something along the lines of an “unlimited use” license soon - even if it’s just to update the extended license terms to allow for unlimited use of standard license.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the added feedback. Unfortunately, I’ve been quite sick this week and out of the office. When I’m back I’ll try to follow this up with staff and see if anything came of the meeting. Thanks for being patient :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

You’ll see a few changes to our licenses in the coming months. The first couple changes will be to make them more clear and to make them better cover everything Envato sells. Once that’s taken care of, we’ll be looking into other license types. When it comes to legal changes, we need to be very careful, which is why sometimes it takes a long time. Sorry that this has been in the works far longer than expected. Now that we have an in-house legal team, this type of thing should be a lot quicker. We’ll keep you informed when we make any changes. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Lance! Clarifying the license language will be a welcome enhancement as well :slight_smile:

Yay progress!

I just had a customer ask for clarification on “multi-use”. Installing a WP plugin as-is in all her clients wordpress websites. She’s purchasing the extended license for now.

Reading all this i wonder what did i buy on my extended licenses? The text on the licenses maybe clear to envato but for people from not English countries it can be read and interpreted differently.

I must agree to brentwz. Let’s make a calculation. If i launch a 1000 websites i need to buy

1000 x $40 for a a theme
1000 x $14 for the uber_menu
1000 x $25 for a nice plugin from righthere
1000 x $20 for another nice plugin from righthere.

1000 x $99 total = $99.000

Do you expect us to buy that? I can have all developed for less then a 1/10 of the price.

Another thing. What does a extended license mean at Themefiorest? You can integrate it in your own work. What own WORK? The only thing the theme can be used with is a a wordpress environment which is free.

the conditions state that

(a) Your use of the Work is limited to a single application.

(b) You may use the Work alone or you may incorporate the Work into another work you are creating.

This is misleading and not clear to me.

Look at the guys at http://pagelines.com they sell a complete multiuser platform for all there themes for less then $300. What do you think what will happen is themeforest (envato) expects me to pay $40.000,–

another example. A plugin called autoblogged. they ask $389 for a multiuser license for a plugin which costs $59 for a single user license.

another example. A shopping cart called shop66 (http://cart66.com/pricing/) single user $89, multi-user $299,–

What does envato tink what will happen is we need to buy likewise plugins for multiple websites at codecanyon or themes at themeforest?

Do they really think we can not calculate and are willing to throw our money away? For those hugh price difference i can find any programmer in India or even in our own country who will write me those plugins exactly the way we want them.

As brentwz says. Yeah get those multiuser license on the market !!! I can second that!

refund the people who bought extended licenses and who are mislead by the misleading license description.

You may use the work or incorporate the work in any other work you are creating. Well we create websites… with a wordpress environment. Technically… That’s our “work”. That’s our business. So how should one read this?

Envato you cannot alter the rules in the playing field once the game has begun and the agreement has been accepted this way. But as a customer i read this in a way it suites me best.

And i really must say. Chris from Sevenspark, and Richard and Alberto from RightHere they all give the best support i have ever experienced on a software product. They work really hard to keep their part of the contract they have with Envato. They deserve a multi-user license product to earn more money another way.

You need to come up with a solution because you cannot expect us to pay that amount of money

Looking forwar to a reply from the envato staff on this and a solution to the misleading “extended licenses”

best regards,
BackuPs

My calculation example some how got lost. Don’t know why but here it is again.

I wrote “If i build a 1000 websites i need:”

1000 X $40 for a theme at themeforest
1000 X $14 for the Ubermenu plugin from Sevenspark
1000 X $25 for the Styles with shortcode from Righthere
1000 X $20 for the Whitlelable branding from Righthere

1000 X $99 = $99.000 Total

BackuPs, you’ve said all the bits I was too polite to say. Well done, mate, & that little calculation at the end is pretty much what I was seeing, even down to the similar items to buy multiple times.

I come from Australia with english AS my native language, & after reading the “multiple licence” terms, I too found them very misleading! :confusedsad:

As a micro-business, I’ve been buying desktop software licences for nearly 20 years now; Coreldraw, Adobe/Pagemaker, Netobjects Fusion, XSitePro, Wordpress, Microsoft, even Google never asked me for another $200 every time I designed & printed a new client’s brochure, business card, eDocument, tech manual, community newspaper, corporate identity, or raft of affiliate sales-based websites for our own burgeoning online business.

In fact, the main service those software companies provided to their customers was to develop new improved versions & regularly offer us an upgrade at a much reduced rate — but only if we needed/wanted the latest features. :inlove:

In this digital Internet age, when a business fails to satisfy its customers in an area of product/service, it creates a gap in the market for strong competition — who WILL FULFILL these customers’ needs/wants.

Envato needs to watch its Licensing A$$ here, verrry closely… :bigsmile:

well at least its getting changed… but i think the needs to be a easy way to upgrade licences as well… im not going to buy a extended/unlimited licence for testing… then i need to contact support to get it changed… that takes 3 days…