Any open source layout builder?

Is there any open source layout builder for the WordPress? Many authors on ThemeForest seem to use layout builder and a few of them look very much same (in the demo screenshots), so I was wondering if there’s any open source code available for that or do all authors create their own builders.

Thanks.

http://aquagraphite.com/2012/10/aqua-page-builder/

Guys please keep this civil, if you have an answer feel free to reply, otherwise, personal attacks and calling out of other Authors and their works is not permitted.

Thanks.

p.s: @Prometheus, I had to remove your comment too as it was quoting and relating to one of the other ones, wouldn’t have made much sense just editing the quote out and leaving the question in the air :slight_smile:

contrastblack said

Guys please keep this civil, if you have an answer feel free to reply, otherwise, personal attacks and calling out of other Authors and their works is not permitted.

Thanks.

p.s: @Prometheus, I had to remove your comment too as it was quoting and relating to one of the other ones, wouldn’t have made much sense just editing the quote out and leaving the question in the air :slight_smile:

No problem, but could you spell my name right next time? :stuck_out_tongue:

Stick to core WP functions :sunglasses:

WPExplorer said

Maybe some client need page builder easy manage content.)

dnp_theme said

Anything better?

U mean mine is bad, or not good enough? Have you tried & did not like it? Or too difficult to integrate with your theme?

So many questions.

SyamilMJ said
dnp_theme said

Anything better?

U mean mine is bad, or not good enough? Have you tried & did not like it? Or too difficult to integrate with your theme?

So many questions.

Maybe he doesn’t like the fact that the shortcodes are outside the page. I know that this kpet me from using it…

@the guy with the green leaf avatar … i am sorry for flagging your post… I did it by mistake :slight_smile: but on your question, i have a theory about this… Either they copy the code from one and other(PHP is GPL so one would just have to replace JS and CSS), either they are following the same routine(i am building my own CC now, and it will work like the others that you see on here)…

RubenBristian said

(i am building my own CC now, and it will work like the others that you see on here)…

I’ve a feeling that this is going to be awesome, and you’re going to distribute this as a free plugin. I knew you’re a nice guy :bigevilgrin: :nerdy: :bigevilgrin:

activetofocus said
WPExplorer said

Maybe some client need page builder easy manage content.)

Maybe some client can purchase content builder on CodeCanyon.

I definitely agree with AJ (WPExplorer) here. Use native Wordpress Functions and don’t make a mess. In my opinion theme developers shouldn’t build a content builder into a theme.

RubenBristian said
SyamilMJ said
dnp_theme said

Anything better?

So many questions.

Maybe he doesn’t like the fact that the shortcodes are outside the page. I know that this kpet me from using it…

Actually, you have this little tiny button that enables you to pick from any of the pages you’ve built right on top of the editor. Shouldn’t be a problem to use even for the least savvy user

The fact that the page builder is outside of the main editor is IMO among the best feature of this plugin, as most content builders tends to bloat the editor with all sorts of js, css & images that 90% of the time the users do not need at all. Not all pages need a content editor so it only makes sense to enable them building it on a separate page.

I think part of the problem has to do with step by step, ease of understanding.

Personally, I like Symil’s builder and am thankful for the amount of work he has put into wp dev and releasing that open source.

In my opinion if you know how wordpress works and you write and save using php to a db the only real difficultly on a page builder is the front end. In other words the jquery, so I’ve put together a little demo and stripped it down to its most simple needs.

It should provide the base to build a full page builder from there.

http://jsfiddle.net/4x6S7/10/

||+741730|kungfu-themes said-|| I think part of the problem has to do with step by step, ease of understanding.

Personally, I like Symil’s builder and am thankful for the amount of work he has put into wp dev and releasing that open source.

In my opinion if you know how wordpress works and you write and save using php to a db the only real difficultly on a page builder is the front end. In other words the jquery, so I’ve put together a little demo and stripped it down to its most simple needs.

It should provide the base to build a full page builder from there.

http://jsfiddle.net/4x6S7/10/

That’s the easy part :slight_smile: Trust me.

RubenBristian said
SyamilMJ said
dnp_theme said

Anything better?

So many questions.

@the guy with the green leaf avatar … i am sorry for flagging your post… I did it by mistake :slight_smile: but on your question, i have a theory about this… Either they copy the code from one and other(PHP is GPL so one would just have to replace JS and CSS), either they are following the same routine(i am building my own CC now, and it will work like the others that you see on here)…

@SyamilMJ - I am talking noob, I am no WP geek at this point, I still do Joomla big time. I felt people somehow don’t want to stick with it, perhaps they want some alternatives or maybe your licensing is not perfectly suitable. Some could perhaps have problems understanding documentation (from my experience people would rather die than read it). My personal problem mostly is this: I want to do it myself but how can I do it without a proper documentation on how it was built and how it works.

Ruben here is an example developer who used your builder to learn and develop his own and I believe that is the main trend in the market. I would do the same. With other words your code shows limited possibility at the first sight, I would suggest to do some research on what’s best to have so that it would satisfy the needs of a larger amount of developers / site owners because let’s face it any code has it’s flaws of design (usability, flexibility).

Let’s put it this way: why not making a tutorial on how to build it, I think this will make people like it and actually use it because they could understand how to customize it and make it better for a real production site. I think I may do the same, I have a ton of custom work for WP already but nothing seems suitable with your builder in my eyes. How can I merge my work with yours?

? I didn’t use Syamil’s CC because it’s not what i want… I didn’t use any CC as a reference, because i haven’t bought any theme with a CC to see how it works. I just looked in the videos and understood :slight_smile:

It’s not hard at all to understand how are they all working…

SyamilMJ said
RubenBristian said
SyamilMJ said
dnp_theme said

Anything better?

So many questions.

Actually, you have this little tiny button that enables you to pick from any of the pages you’ve built right on top of the editor. Shouldn’t be a problem to use even for the least savvy user

The fact that the page builder is outside of the main editor is IMO among the best feature of this plugin, as most content builders tends to bloat the editor with all sorts of js, css & images that 90% of the time the users do not need at all. Not all pages need a content editor so it only makes sense to enable them building it on a separate page.

Your plugin is awsome! I’m using it and trying extend it for my theme. Its code is easy to understand. I think the drag/drop behavior is only issue need to fix. Thanks for your great work!

It’s nice to see something i built so drastically influenced Themeforest (so many authors have that feature in their themes now) and a certain CodeCanyon author (no hard feeling thou, you used your own code).

But i feel like i should give you a little heads up. DO NOT make your own content composer (or whatever you call it), it’s not worth it. Two years ago it really had a big influence on sales, but now there are so many themes with that feature that it simply doesn’t make a theme stand out of the crowd. If you really want that feature in your theme use the Visual Composer plugin from CodeCanyon (like i said, no hard feelings).

WPScientist said

It’s nice to see something i built so drastically influenced Themeforest (so many authors have that feature in their themes now) and a certain CodeCanyon author (no hard feeling thou, you used your own code).

But i feel like i should give you a little heads up. DO NOT make your own content composer (or whatever you call it), it’s not worth it. Two years ago it really had a big influence on sales, but now there are so many themes with that feature that it simply doesn’t make a theme stand out of the crowd. If you really want that feature in your theme use the Visual Composer plugin from CodeCanyon (like i said, no hard feelings).

Sorry for the lame question but can i use this in WP theme and sold it here in themeforest? I need to purchase Extended Licence right?

Never mind i found the answer http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq#faq-section-author

bilbo_b said
WPScientist said

Sorry for the lame question but can i use this in WP theme and sold it here in themeforest? I need to purchase Extended Licence right?

It’s not lame, the licenses are a bit confusing.

A month or so ago you could buy an extended license of an item such as the Visual Composer and include it in your theme. But now, as far as i know you need to contact the author of the plugin and ask for permission, it’s just a formality.

But I’m not entirely sure, as i said, the licenses are a bit confusing.