Annoying processor and Hard Drive sounds leaking through the speakers [SOLVED]

Hey community!

So here’s an unusual topic. I farily recently bought a new computer and started getting a VERY noticeable and utterly annoying high pitched sound interference through my studio monitors. I was already dealing with this problem before the update, but now it has gotten more intense.

Here’s my set:
PC: Intel I7 6700CPU 3.4GHz / SSD and Sata3 Hard Drives / 16GB Ram
Interface: Focusrite 18i8 USB
Speakers: Yamaha HS50m

All my electric outlets are properly grounded and yet I get this disturbing sound, which just gets worse as you push your CPU harder. Of course, this doesn’t happens when using headphones.

Any of you ever experienced a similar issue? Do you know any way to solve it?

Thanks in advance, guys. I’ll be doing some web research aswell.

Greetings!

Wifi?

1 Like

Already tried it. It does improve things a little bit, but the processor interference is still HUGE. The heavier the project, the louder it gets.

I’ve been having a similar issue with my monitors. Although for me it was not so much high-pitched sounds but rather low rumbles. For years, I thought my monitors were defectives and I should just get another pair when I have the money. I recently found out it was actually due to my audio interface. Don’t know if that can help…

2 Likes

Have you got another audio interface to check?
When i got problems from my computer i used to activate/deactivate or replace components to find the problem.

1 Like

Thanks so much, guys, for such prompt replies! I sold my previous interface, but it should be rather easy to borrow one. I’ll definitely give it a try one of these days and let you know the results.

Once you start googling this, you find it’s a pretty common issue. There are lot’s of videos in Youtube of people proposing different ways around. I’ll see if it gets any better with a different interface and get back here with the outcome.

Thanks again friends!

I could lend you one, but i think you don´t live in my neighborhood… :joy:
Good Luck!!

1 Like

Buy Macintosh :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup. Definitely considering it.

I had the exact same problem when I got my current interface/monitor setup, it was buzzing like mad the first two days and then just stopped buzzing. I think I plugged one of the monitors into an outlet on a different wall after trying a couple of outlet combinations for the interface, pc and monitors. :smiley:

You sure it’s got something to do with the CPU load? It sounds like a generic grounding issue.

1 Like

Oh, no, the CPU only “modulates” the interference pitch and level! Kind of a cool random glitch synth, but not like I want it ALL the time, hahaha. :smiley:

I absolutely agree with you is a bad grounding issue. I’ll try to plug the monitors to a different outlet (I’ll have to bring an extension from another room, I’m afraid) and report the outcome here. Maybe I have to get the current outlet grounding checked too.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It’s really helpful.

Cheers.

Could be the GPU - graphics cards draw a lot of current. I have had similar issues lately. Also make sure everything is on the same power outlet - ground loop interference can happen if current criss-crosses over audio cables to nearest ground.

Disclaimer: I’m not an electrician :sunglasses:

http://audioundone.com/hum_prevention

http://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/ground-lift-what-is-it-what-do-you-do-with-it-what-do-you-do-if-you-haven-t-got-it

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=ground+lift+adapter

Good luck! Keep us posted :wink:

1 Like

Hey Stockwaves! Thanks for the tips! Some useful info there and a few simple cheap gadgets that could help solving the problem. I’ll be trying different setups these days and let you guys know how it turns out.

And thanks for the disclaimer too! I’ll just plug this lil’ red wire right in he#@!

I had the noise. Put balanced cables with shielded protection. No no no noises now.

Actually I’m using 1/4 to 1/4 cables right now, so your suggestion might just do the trick. I’ll get my self an XLR to 1/4 shielded cable this week and let you know if it at least improved the scenario. Thanks a lot, @Korandrino!

Hi! What’s up? Helped or not?

1 Like

+1 for a grounding issue. I would try to connect it to different power outlets, especially to different “electric phase” (I don’t know is that a good English translation). I don’t know how power plugs and outlets look like in your country but in mine sometimes using outlet without grounding pin can help. We have two pins with electricity and optionally one with grounding usually.

1 Like

Hey fellas!

Well, I did try with balanced TRS/XLR shielded cables and sadly it didn’t work out. Thanks a lot anyway, @Korandrino, for the tip, it was definitely worth the shot.
@RedOctopus, thanks to you too for punching in. Most forums and videos I checked suggest the same (phase or grounding issues), but I don’t have a nearby outlet right now. Around here we also have two pin inputs with optional grounding. I’ll try bringing an extension from other room and see how it turns out.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for sharing your tips. It’s one of the things I really like from Envato.

Have a good one!

I would try outlet without grounding!

Better late than never, they say.

Well guys, I finally solved the issue! What @RedOctopus suggested about plugging the monitors to an outlet with different electric phase just did the trick. Simple as that.

A huge thank you to all who shared their experiences and know-how here, you were of great help.

Hope this short thread could be useful to others in a similar situation.

Cheers and thanks again!
WM.

4 Likes