An odd error message

I was working on my test site and when I click the customize button or attempt to access header or background editing I received the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /data/20/4/28/24/4354187/user/5022514/htdocs/wordpress/wp-admin/includes/update.php on line 321

Have not seen this before and I have even attempted to change themes but it still gives me the same error regardless of theme used. Anyone experienced this before? I am using Radiate theme in wordpress.

Currently, your server is only allocating 40MB of PHP memory to your WordPress, which is insufficient, as WP itself, your theme and active plugins on your site already require more than that. As a result, your PHP memory is exhausted, which prevents WP from further processing any data … indicated by the fatal error message.

By changing your php.ini / wp-config.php files and adding/adjusting some lines, you should be able to increase your memory allocation; a simple Google search will give you countless pages as to how one could do that. Have in mind that some hosting companies impose internal limits that can not be exceeded (based on hosting package; particularly on shared servers), so inquiring with your hosting service will tell you how much memory you can use at a maximum.

Figured it out with your assistance. Thank you very much for your help.