All Authors: Important Information on how to receive US tax summaries.

@matthewcoxy - We need to file the company income tax return and do tax audit by 31st March 2017, so it is really difficult for us to manage if we do not get 1042 form. Please let me know if these forms are really delivered to India authors and have any estimate when we can receive it or track somewhere if possible.

Thanks,

ThemeZaa

1 Like

Hey @themezaa,

The forms to all authors outside of the US have been sent out and should certainly arrive via mail. We’ve now fully processed everything on our end.

Speaking from previous experience of shipping packages to authors in India via the Elite program, if the postal services manage things as they should, your form should arrive in time. However it’s very much in their hands.

1 Like

Hmmmm sorry but I’m the only guy here that understand nothing about that ?

I just receive a letter from Envato “IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENT ENCLOSED” with a 1042-S form (I’m a non-US author).

What am I supposed to do with this ?!!

I’m French and all is in English with a complex vocabulary so I do not understand the fields of the form. I have to fill in the form and return it ? Why ? Where ? When ?

3 Likes

Same question here.

What the heck is this?

@matthewcoxy- I just received the papers via mail today, thanks a bunch, hopefully i can collect now :smiley:

1 Like

@Xioyuna @twisted1919

The form is for your records. You don’t need to fill anything out or return it to us, but it’s a legal obligation for us to send you the summary as it may help you to declare your income to tax authorities.

2 Likes

Will you send the form to our e-mail also?

:slight_smile:

Hypothetically speaking, if the letter is lost. Can we request a new one from IRS / envato or is lost forever ?

In many countries, the postal service is not as effective as in Australia

1 Like

Wasn’t somewhere in forums a thing about self-printing? As I see (I got it today) everything is printed. No signatures, no pen writings, nothing. So, we can print it and it can be generated by them…

Okay guys, received it.

Now what should we do with it ?

The same as with other summaries/certificates about withheld taxes on your behalf!

If, according to the tax laws in your country, you can deduct these allready paid taxes from the sum of your own tax liability, then this document belongs as an attachment to your income tax declaration.

Today I received two letters at once! I’m a non-American author. Can I withdraw the withheld money from American buyers in my country? Or is it just a report? :grin:

Since you have to look whether the income tax law in your country allows a deduction of paid foreign withholding tax.

I haven’t received it yet!

I’m a non-US author and there is no tax being withheld, does that mean that I don’t do anything with this form?
Or is there some requirement on my part?
Sorry if the question is stupid.

That depends on the tax laws in your country!

For me as a German author also no tax is withheld on my behalf and therfore I don’t have to specify anything about that in my tax declaration. It makes no sense if nothing was paid you can not get anything back :slight_smile:

However as a freelancer, I have to store these documents for at least 10 years in my files.

Alright, thank you for the answer!:slight_smile:

There must be a mistake, the form I got says 1099-MISC bottom left! I’m non-US citizen!

It’s not a mistake if you have paid US Backup Withholding Tax in 2016.
That’s the case if you don’t submitted the W-8 form data or did it later after sale(s).

US Backup Withholding Tax is reported to the IRS with the 1099-MISC form.