After Effects Won't Output Audio with Apple ProRes 422 format?

So I have three .mov videos rendered from FCP in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) format. I’ve done some work on these files in After Effects and now I want to export them to a .mp4 with the H.264 or Animation codec.

The sound playback within After Effects works like it should. RAM preview is giving me sound as well.

Yet when actually outputting the file, the sound just dissapears. I’ve tried rendering the file into a .mp3 as well and it still doesn’t play any sound at all.

All sound switches are enabled in the timeline and I’ve checked the audio option in the rendering output window. So is it just that AE can’t output audio from an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) .mov format? Any help is appreciated.

motionvids said

So I have three .mov videos rendered from FCP in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) format. I’ve done some work on these files in After Effects and now I want to export them to a .mp4 with the H.264 or Animation codec.

The sound playback within After Effects works like it should. RAM preview is giving me sound as well.

Yet when actually outputting the file, the sound just dissapears. I’ve tried rendering the file into a .mp3 as well and it still doesn’t play any sound at all.

All sound switches are enabled in the timeline and I’ve checked the audio option in the rendering output window. So is it just that AE can’t output audio from an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) .mov format? Any help is appreciated.

I’d avoid using Ae to export h.264 / mp4 stuff. It isn’t recommded. Adobe Media Encoder is the way to go.

Fundamentally, there’s no reason why Ae shouldn’t be able to output the audio from the Prores file to the h.264 or whatever. If you’re doing something wrong in Ae, then almost certainly in the Output module settings. What audio format are you encoding to?

I found out both my AE CS5 and Adobe Media encoder don’t export any audio when outputting a .mov file to any other codec or filetype… I ended up outputting with the Apple Animation Codec(audio disabled) and then imported it into FCP to do the final rendering there. A solution but not a great one. Maybe it’s time to reinstall/repair Adobe CS.

Anyway, thanks for the help :slight_smile: