(AE Question) How to do global text replace?

Hi - sometimes folks here lately have been using non-free fonts, so I need to manually replace the fonts in my ae projects. (request: please only use fonts freely available from places like dafont.com - thanks)…

So my question is, is there some easy global “replace default font with (your choice) font” command within ae CS4 I can use? If there’s 8-15 subcomps it’s a hassle to manually replace fonts for each sub, so I was wondering if there’s a global command to replace fonts that were chosen inside the aep?

thx,

-ken

Ken, I don’t know if there is any other way, but there is a very useful script that does exactly what you need!
http://aescripts.com/pt_textedit/

It’s not free but demo works for two weeks, so if you like it you can purchase it.

Hope this helps!

As far as I’m aware, you aren’t able to access the typeface of a font via expressions or scripting. I could be wrong on this, but I think that Paul’s script doesn’t do what you want it to, Ken.

Check the demo and report back.

Otherwise, I can’t think of any easy workaround.

hi - thanks, I appreciate it, I’ll check out the script… anything that saves time is helpful

Hello buddies, do you have any updates regarding this matter?

I’m making a CS4 project with a comp for every letter (and number) and it would be a pain in the … to change the font family in every single text layer

Guys according to this page http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2008/12/after-effects-cs4-scripting-ch.html a script can access font family and a lot more options, is there anyone who can help me with the correct syntax?

I’m trying to achieve the following:

1. Scan all comps in a project for text layers

2. for each text layer set .font to “whatever”…

do you think it’s possible?

andrus9000 said

Guys according to this page http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2008/12/after-effects-cs4-scripting-ch.html a script can access font family and a lot more options, is there anyone who can help me with the correct syntax?

I’m trying to achieve the following:

1. Scan all comps in a project for text layers

2. for each text layer set .font to “whatever”…

do you think it’s possible?

Yep. It’s possible, but it’s not especially easy. For the correct syntax, you’ll need to look at the After Effects scripting guide and at the example scripts that are included with After Effects. You can find links in the expressions thread that’s stickied in this forum.

It’s a long road though, to being able to quickly write useful scripts, so if you choose to set out along that road, do so knowing that it will be a journey of several years.

You might want to kick off with some expressions to get you in the mood.

Hi friends,

Just an idea. Can Open Sesame be helpfull ? I never used it, but as far as i remember it export everything into structured text where find and replace much easier. Then just import back.
Of course this will have limitations but as workaround?

Best regards
Andrey

Mr Felt, your usual good advice is much appreciated, I’ll post a question in the expressions thread.

Andrey I’ll take a look to Open Sesame too, thanks :slight_smile: