AE CS4 won't import mp4 files anymore

Hi there,

A client send me some mp4 files for a project.
If I import those mp4 files in cs4 they are just black.
If I play it with quicktime or media player its all fine.
Whats wrong with my cs4? Before I had no problems with mp4 files.

mp4 is just a container, the codec varies. maybe its something after effects cs4 doesnt support. you may have to reencode it.

Link?

to what? a software that let’s you reencode it?

try super 2012.

I’m sory, I’m not familiar with this.
Can I just reinstall cs4?

I don’t think it is a problem with After Effects. Did you try to open mp4-files you are sure you could open with it before?

I would say it’s the codec of your new mp4-files that’s the problem.

Creattive said

I don’t think it is a problem with After Effects. Did you try to open mp4-files you are sure you could open with it before?

I would say it’s the codec of your new mp4-files that’s the problem.

Can you open and look at the file in Quicktime? If so, it should open in After Effects.

Actually, having said that I’m not sure what system resource a PC uses to play mp4. Try renaming the file .mov and opening it in Quicktime. If that doesn’t work, it’s a codec issue. If it does, try importing it into Ae. If that doesn’t work, get Quicktime Pro $30 and transcode the footage into a lossless (or mildly lossy) format such as ProRes HQ.

I have experienced some file format problems on a Mac recently OSX10.8, CS6 - whereby various formats spontaneously stop working. I’ve seen it happen with h.264 encoded Quicktimes and RED raw footage. Very annoying in the middle of a job. I had to reinstall Ae, which I hadn’t done before since being on Creative Cloud. Actually, relatively painless.

Thank you all.
I donwloaded the trial version of cs6 for now and it works fine. If the project is done I will look for a solution with cs4.

try updating your codec’s with installing latest klite codec pack or similar to it.

ivezicm said

try updating your codec’s with installing latest klite codec pack or similar to it.

I have never installed it, but all information on the internet suggests you should never, ever, ever install Klite codec pack. Not first hand info, but I have read this so many times.

If Quicktime player can read it, then it’s unlikely to be a codec issue, anyway…unless you’re on a PC. I don’t know which system resource a PC uses to read mp4s. You could try opening the mp4 in QTPro and saving it off inside a QT wrapper, then reimporting into Ae. That might do the trick.