Adjusting Our Focus: A New Approach for Photos at Envato

So this is still a go? Are you actually going trough with this despite the feedback on this forums? Funny.

In a perfect world what youā€™re saying makes sense. Since Iā€™m fairly new to Envato, with one year of membership, in which many batches of my uploaded images waited between a few weeks to a few months to get reviewed and accepted, thereā€™s not enough meaningful statistics to make these decisions. Nevertheless I did some cleanup today and got rid of 15% of my portfolio based on similarity or no sales on other sites. I guess I will just wait until I know if Iā€™m in or out first. Do you have time estimate, since your last announcement said December 2016 which already past?

Hello All, Iā€™ve been waiting for direction on the stated December activities of picking Photodune authors and moving forward. Has that all taken place? Please advise?

Thanks for the opportunity to be of service.

Hey All!

@yhelfman and @Christopher_Boswell are right, itā€™s time for an update. Over the last few months we have been working at the goals we set in our timeline. To date weā€™ve completed a number of things:

• Stopped reviewing new item submissions
  • Disabled item uploads for new items on PhotoDune
  • Switched to single resolution in preparation for author-driven pricing
  • Launched author-driven pricing on PhotoDune
  • Assessed author portfolios

For some context, Envato operates using a methodology called ā€œAgileā€. Itā€™s a way of planning and executing projects that allows for quicker pivots as new information becomes available.

Weā€™ve received a lot of information throughout this process. Itā€™s refined our thinking, shaped our processes and has impacted our timeline.

Weā€™re still on track for most things but a few objectives were delayed while we were refining. In particular, we had hoped to be communicating the results of our library assessment to authors sooner than what weā€™ve been able to achieve.

We did begin to connect with authors starting in December. However, in order to manage that process better, we decided to start with smaller batches (cohorts). This has the added benefit of giving us the opportunity to work out any kinks in our methodology before moving on to the next cohort.

So, hereā€™s what PhotoDune authors can expect moving forward:

Early 2017

• Invite qualified authors (in cohorts) to participate in the new world (including Elements)
  • Email feedback to individual authors
  • Re-enable uploads on PhotoDune for qualified authors
  • Start removing portfolios that no longer meet the new standards

Later in 2017

• Launch new upload center
  • Enable photo uploads to Elements
  • Begin offering photos on Elements
  • Launch PhotoDune shopfront improvements

We know that many of you are waiting on the assessment results to see what kind of curation work might be required for your portfolio. The best thing you can do is spend some time going through the quality and commercial demand guidelines weā€™ve introduced as well as our lookbook.

Our goal is to create a compelling and authentic library of items that authors and customers are excited about. Weā€™re focused less on historical sales and more on whether items fit our guidelines. We donā€™t model our guidelines after what other agencies do so using that as a reference point for acceptability wonā€™t lead to a higher success rate in your portfolio.

Be creative, be original, be authentic and be excellent. Thatā€™s the best advice I can give you. If there are any changes to our timeline, weā€™ll let you know.

Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Thanks for the update James! Iā€™ve learned many valuable things during this transition, including being more mindful, thankful, and present to the now!

As always, thanks for everything that has brought us to today! Christopher Boswell

Drop in and say hello!

Hello, last year Iā€™ve started uploading only small part of my portfolio. The incomes starting, Iā€™ve been happyā€¦ then now I am able upload via FTP, and some files have in queue also. Should I upload still now, fill tax form etc., or stop any activity and just wait for qualified author invitation ? Thank you.

Iā€™d really love to know when submissions will be open. Iā€™ve been a member for over a year without submitting anything and am finally able to but now this is happening?

Hi James,

Can you please be more specific on ā€œearly 2017ā€ and ā€œlater in 2017ā€. Itā€™s been more than 3 months now that things are in the air, and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one who would love to get some concrete timelines.

Thanks,
Yuval

1 Like

I only wish this announcement would read ā€˜Audiojungleā€™ instead of ā€˜Photoduneā€™ā€¦

I understand the need to reduce files that donā€™t sell but at the same time as a buyer on the marketplace I try to buy items that donā€™t have a high number of sales. I donā€™t want to purchase a high selling item because there is more chance of it being on every other website, I want something a bit more unique.

Sales are so low here that this change will almost certainly help push me out the door. Itā€™s bad enough that they masquerade as a marketplace when they are in fact an agency, but now to have ports either culled or closed because you donā€™t make the cut means doom for many contributors. The rebranding of PD means a complete overhaul in policy and that means starting over.

1 Like

Iā€™ve yet to see Envanto come in here to answer any of the posts. Mainly because it is bad news for a high percentage of contributors. Good luck, Envanto. But your buyers will defect and that means years and tons of money trying to get new ones.

What specific answers do you require, which werenā€™t addressed in the initial, or subsequent posts?

This is a response! And there are a few others as well. Theyā€™re usually highlighted in yellow to try and make them stand out a bit as staff-written responses. If thereā€™s something else we can do to make them more obvious, please let us know!

@yhelfman thatā€™s as specific as I can be. I do not want to state a specific date and then have it change and disappoint you. Things are happening behind the scenes on the items I mentioned in my update.

I was thinking more like between these weeks and these weeks in this month than an actual dates. This way it gives a more realistic and clear estimate for us to wait for, after already been waiting for such a long time. For me, ā€œearly in the yearā€ could be January to April? ā€œLater in the yearā€ could really be Jan 1 to Dec 31, so these generic timelines are disappointing.

So----my main question is, since December was the month that approved authors were to be emailed, is it correct to assume that those without an email are being removed? Itā€™d be nice to just let people know straight out instead of keeping us wondering. Thank you.

They donā€™t know yet, as theyā€™ve not had chance to go through every authorā€™s portfolio. Emails are being sent out though, to let people know theyā€™re ā€˜still in the gangā€™, so it is a work in progress. No news is good news at this point!

(Sigh) Same thought here. I just decided to sign up today, and there was no mention of this apparent to me until I had finished and was ready to look for ways to upload photos. Well, maybe soonā€¦

Let me know, Envatoā€¦

1 Like

quote "December

Assess portfolios and email feedback to individual authors

Early 2017

Invite qualified authors (in cohorts) to participate in the new world (including Elements)
Email feedback to individual authors" unquote

Where are we now? I have not seen any email feedback yet. I would like to know where I am standing nor at the end of January 2017.
Thanks