Adjusting Our Focus: A New Approach for Photos at Envato

They better or there will be more than a few law suits heading there way.
I for one am ready to call it a day with this site.

3 Likes

Please clarify your comments below. This sounds like those authors who participate in other Envato marketplaces will be able to withdrawal earnings but those authors who do not have other portfolios will be subject to a cash-grab by Envato. There is no mention of being able to withdrawal earnings. Only that we cannot upload, our portfolio would be disabled but you’re generously letting our marketplace account remain active which I can only assume is a subtle way of saying you won’t pay us our earnings but we’re more than welcome to reinvest them with you through credit purchases. Please verify - if you close our portfolio down and we have no other marketplace presence will we get our cash or are you keeping it? If I were to request closing my account could I receive my current balance paid out?

What happens to users accounts and earnings balance for authors not invited to tomorrow’s PhotoDune?
Authors who have content available on other Envato marketplaces will be able to
withdraw earnings as they always have. If their earnings are below the
minimum withdrawal threshold, we’ve got a process in place to help them
receive their balance.

For authors not invited to tomorrow’s PhotoDune, their Envato Market
account will remain active and available to them. Only their ability to
upload new items to PhotoDune will be removed, and their current
PhotoDune portfolio will be disabled.

2 Likes

Please clarify - should I clean my portfolio self until December in accordance with new requirements? Or I should wait for assessment and feedback in December from Envato team? Thanks.

Food for thought:

I am not a PD author and neither use it. But its quite funny that all the photos have actually passed the review test and approved on market. Now suddenly this approved images are no more good and are rejected with an argument of quality over quantity.

Envato, on one side you approve this images after passing a quality check and on other side this same images are rejected because they dont pass a threshold quality check.

Quite ironical… think on it

8 Likes

Id be more worried about how this is a clear sign of whats going to happen across the whole marketplace, just when i was starting to get a few themes under my belt, bad times :frowning:

2 Likes

Can we have the same approach for ThemeForest?

1 Like

^ NO, we can’t.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s ironic. Two reasons…

Think of the worst sitcom from the eighties or the nineties. That was accepted by the networks, but would it be accepted today? Does it still have the same appeal, the same pull and relevancy as it did back in the day?

Second, it makes sense to try and increase the numbers at the beginning and then reduce the acceptance rate by becoming more strict when you have got the numbers. Browse our massive selection of 100 images isn’t going to inspire buyers to click the link. But 1000, 100000 etc.

4 Likes

As a frequent buyer of Photodune product, this is very shocking. Yesterday I could buy different resolutions based on my project needs and today I am forced to find another company to get my images from. Removing the different resolutions is huge and forcing higher prices for image quality I don’t need is quite frankly a really dumb business move. I’m shopping somewhere else now.
All you photographers should be upset at this recent change. No buyers were given a heads up ( at least I wasn’t) . You will definitely sell less product now because of the price change. Frequent buyers were used to a specific system and now that system is gone.
And another thing. The reason buyers like me are here is because they hate the crappy service they get from other stock services like iStock, Shutterstock, Fotolia, etc. Direct cash prices ARE THE WAY TO GO! If you let them move to a credit system or a membership system, you might as well be shooting yourselves in the foot.
My two cents…already getting my images somewhere else…sorry.

17 Likes

^^^ +++++++++ Spot On!
Friends (Envato) , are you reading this?

1 Like

What this guy said.

It’s a ridiculous move and came without warning (as far as I can tell). I suspect there’s quite a large portion of your sales that come from people like me who don’t require high definition photos for use on websites and we are all going to have to go somewhere else now. I’m not prepared to buy a 5000x5000 image when all I need is for it to be 300x300.

I sincerely hope that the people in charge are bold enough to realise that this decision was a wrong one to make and backtrack on it before it’s too late.

4 Likes

Worst idea ever, and you have not bothered to warn your buyers !

Bye photodune.

4 Likes

One week and no reply. Very disappointing. I would have hoped we could get clarification. I am so close to pay out. I have been inactive with uploading due to personal health issues and being care taker for my parents and a grandparent with dementia and I hope that isn’t held against me as a reason to deactivate my portfolio.

And just as I was preparing to add a year and a half’s work in stills and videos from coast to coast US travel with my drones. Argh…Thanks for the opportunity to work with you!

Amazing news for PhotoDune.

It sounds truly exciting and I can’t wait to see the new version coming up next year.

I think the problem is… the most poeple i know, use Photodune because you can buy small size images, for lower price. For all other, or quality images, we have more than one stock service out there, with better libary, better service, better pricing. Don’t know this works for you, but i only need my 1 or 2 dollar small size images back, because most of the time i don’t need big or perfect images.

The sad of Envato is… the most changes come and go, come and go and i became no mail about this, no real info. Only when i sarch the forum or so i can read something about it. I hate this. Last time i came back, will buy an image, the new licence system with higher prices and no changeable size of the buying image are here. Without any warning, mailing or something else.

Don’t trust you anymore and i don’t like the last changes.

Anyone with a balance that doesn’t meet the threshold for withdrawal will be able to withdraw their earnings if their portfolio doesn’t meet the new quality standards.

You absolutely can begin to clean your portfolio! The new quality standards are publicly available and we welcome all authors to go through and do their own evaluation. You can also choose to wait, the choice is yours.

Ridiculous idea. Going elsewhere for photos now.

3 Likes

So we’re now in 2017. If my understanding is correct I should have either got an email with an invitation to the new future, or not, which in that case I should have found my portfolio disabled and be able to withdraw my balance. Well, I did not get an invite, my portfolio is still active, I got some sales on December, and I’m not able to withdraw my balance (which is below the minimum), so what does this mean? Based on these facts and your announcement my conclusion is that you guys haven’t looked up yet my account and behind your December 2016 schedule? Where do I stand? In my opinion you should have emailed authors either way to let them know specifically where they stand. I also do not completely understand how to go through cleaning my portfolio. I work with other agencies which have high quality review criteria, so if they accepted the same files that I uploaded and got accepted with Envato, should I still consider removing some of them? I mean if you initially approved lets say 500 of my images, and you are now tightening up the standards, why don’t you make it easy on us and tell us which of these should be removed? How would I know? What if these images sell in other agencies? How should I decide whether to remove them from my portfolio with you? Seems a very challenging difficult task to ask from the authors to do themselves? The whole process is very unclear, and I believe you guys should make the efforts to contact each and every one of us individually with personal feedbacks and guidance.

1 Like

If it was me… I’d search my portfolio by sales. Anything that has sales, keep. If they have no sales here, and no sales on other agencies, I’d get rid of them. Then you’ve just got the grey area of stuff that hasn’t sold here and stuff that has sales on other agencies. Then I guess you’re taking into account how long you’ve had them here and how long they’ve been on the other sites… do they have potential to sell here? And are we talking, they might get one sale over the next year, or is it going to be a few sales a month, a few dozen sales a month.

I guess there’s no hard and fast rules, but I’d be surprised if sales weren’t taken into account. If you have images that are selling and making you and Envato money… then it’s unlikely that they’ll want to see you go. Although, on the other hand… if the majority of your images aren’t making you or Envato money, then that’s a different matter.

If it was me… I’d have some kind of algorithm to weed out those that might not be suitable for ‘the future’ based on sales, average commission per image, average commission per image per month, total commission, average sales per item etc. Anything with a really low score… get rid. Anything with a high score… keep. The small amount inbetween… manually review for sales potential/quality. I mean, if they just went on image quality and/or manually reviewed every portfolio, then that’s millions of images to get though.