A Transparent Treatise of Inconsistency in AJ Review and Author Processes

Good idea too.

MusicBoxStudios said
||+1250096|Sky-Productions said-|| Maybe the best thing to do Adrien is implement a new rule...any threads that are clearly a complaint against a hard rejection will be deleted or locked...just like self promotion or spam.

Or, just move them to the ‘Item Discussion’ forum where they should have been in the first place.

LumenMedia said

Good idea too.

MusicBoxStudios said
||+1250096|Sky-Productions said-|| Maybe the best thing to do Adrien is implement a new rule...any threads that are clearly a complaint against a hard rejection will be deleted or locked...just like self promotion or spam.

Or, just move them to the ‘Item Discussion’ forum where they should have been in the first place.

I only say that because while I agree the threads get old, the moment you start taking away someone’s ability to speak up or voice their opinion about something, you lose the right to call this a community. They should be able to speak up, just keep it to a place where buyers don’t see it and it doesn’t flood the main forum with threads that appear negative.

The ‘Item Discussion’ forum should be viewable by staff and authors only.

Just an idea

Adrien - it just doesn’t get any clearer than that. Very timely post.

Agree, good post Adrien :slight_smile:

+100... & ... Thank Adrien that have clarified this old and sick theme for all authors

Why don’t you put another category on the front page “rejected items”. I’m sure there would be people to buy, and those on the top of the list would be selling the best again.
And this is not a joke, what with people who need poorly executed songs? We have seen films,videos,commercials where there is a requirement for a bad sounding,out of tune,ridiculously arranged music.
What about those people? Do they have to pay professional musicians to record bad tunes for them?

MetroMusic said

Why don’t you put another category on the front page “rejected items”. I’m sure there would be people to buy, and those on the top of the list would be selling the best again.

Yeah, but somehow, a category titled “Rejected Items” doesn’t sound like good publicity, even if some say there’s no such thing as bad publicity. However, I don’t even think AJ authors would like to have that label on their tracks, despite any redeeming qualities their song might have. I mean REJECTED is a pretty heavy word. There are plenty of other sites, where these imperfect sounds can be uploaded and have some success. I know I’ve done it with a few of my own rejected tracks and was surprised to see positive feedback. I’m not saying they were wrongly rejected. I understood why the track wasn’t quite right for AJ. But there are other avenues for those “borderline” tracks where they might enjoy even more success than on a highly competitive market.

LeatherwingStudios said

Great post!

But given how successful Envato has been I would love to see you add reviewers so borderline rejects would always be reviewed by a second person without that second person knowing it was already rejected. And it does not have to impact the queue if you simply absorb the additional cost of additional reviewers out of your ample profits!

Also, add a tiny bit of time on each reject to tell the author why the item is being rejected. Again, this will not slow down the queue if you simply add reviewers and absorb the additional cost out of profits! If a reviewer goes through a process to reject why can they not have a simple but complete form to check off the criteria for the author? Yes, I know it is not your job to teach, blah, blah. But these authors provide the means for Envato to succeed! They deserve the respect of knowing why their submission was rejected in my opinion!

Obviously you do not have to do either of these things because you are successful enough as it is. But these things would not cost a lot and would greatly improve the experience for your suppliers and the community in general!

Good article, Adrien. But I also agree with the author, whom I quoted. I would also like to add that the reviewers need to categorize. One reviewer should not take the tracks in all categories at once. I think it would be better if there is a narrow specialization of each reviewer. And the need to take a different music, different music. You have created a problem with the corporate direction, and now a lot of copy-paste and a lot of the tracks can not be distinguished from each other, and other genres are often rejected. I FOR narrow specialization of the reviewer, that they worked on genres.

1 Like

Thank you, Adrien!

This guy always goes out of the way to explain things he’s not even supposed to do. Thanks for taking time to do so.

A very comprehensive reply. Thanks Adrien.

Maybe having a sticky with the main forum rules (in bullet points) would help? What’s allowed and what isn’t, and what needs to be put in a specific sub forum. eg. there is a fine line between self promo and asking for feedback on an accepted track and and it is a recurring topic on the main forum. Often the OP doesn’t realise it’s not allowed.

Again. my opinion this is waste of time. For doing it fast, you need to reply using generic reasons of rejection. For example - poor mix, poor arrangement, poor samples, poor mastering or too much compression, etc. Will this help you or someone? I don’t think so. This replies are too generic to be conisdered as step-be-step guid for improving someone crooked production. Placing detailed reply has no commercial sense, because this is waste of reviewers time, longer review gueue and Enavto has no obligation to learn amateurs. No way.

nikejonessound said
LeatherwingStudios said

Great post!

But given how successful Envato has been I would love to see you add reviewers so borderline rejects would always be reviewed by a second person without that second person knowing it was already rejected. And it does not have to impact the queue if you simply absorb the additional cost of additional reviewers out of your ample profits!

Also, add a tiny bit of time on each reject to tell the author why the item is being rejected. Again, this will not slow down the queue if you simply add reviewers and absorb the additional cost out of profits! If a reviewer goes through a process to reject why can they not have a simple but complete form to check off the criteria for the author? Yes, I know it is not your job to teach, blah, blah. But these authors provide the means for Envato to succeed! They deserve the respect of knowing why their submission was rejected in my opinion!

Obviously you do not have to do either of these things because you are successful enough as it is. But these things would not cost a lot and would greatly improve the experience for your suppliers and the community in general!

Good article, Adrien. But I also agree with the author, whom I quoted. I would also like to add that the reviewers need to categorize. One reviewer should not take the tracks in all categories at once. I think it would be better if there is a narrow specialization of each reviewer. And the need to take a different music, different music. You have created a problem with the corporate direction, and now a lot of copy-paste and a lot of the tracks can not be distinguished from each other, and other genres are often rejected. I FOR narrow specialization of the reviewer, that they worked on genres.

Great post. I believe that you are 100% develop a theme rejections!!! Super!!!

Great info,it’s nice to know about the borderline things. So I think it’s still matter of luck if we just got a middle quality track

Thank you!

Very nice post, I am glad you took the time to write all that. One question though. Why are tracks in the grey or borderline “hard rejected” when a soft rejection sounds like it could be more appropriate? If a track could go either way, wouldn’t it be more appropriate to soft reject with a little detail to improve the track?

FASSounds said

Great info,it’s nice to know about the borderline things. So I think it’s still matter of luck if we just got a middle quality track

Not "luck" no, reviewers are not rolling a dice, they are still making a considered decision.

Thank you Adrien, great info.

LumenMedia said

Thank you, Adrien. To be honest - you don’t need to write this message, but you did. I mean all this explanations is awesome… Awesome for those who forgot a nature of this place. This is a market. Not chat, not just another friendly community, not a school for amateurs, not a personal psychologist (though sometimes this place working as all 4 things together). But first of all, this is a working, evolving, growing, selling (thanks God) marketplace.

+1 I think that the review team do a great job, ¿but why they should teaching to the authors about music production and mixing work? Sure, maybe they sometimes take wrong decisions, they are humans… I´ve had some hard reject and I know the feeling… but now looking back, I understood that they were right and my music was not ready for audiojungle. I have around 8-10 tracks hard rejected on audiojungle re-upload to others markets, ¿you know how many sales I have obtained from these tracks in 4 markets? Only 1 :slight_smile: So definitely these people (the reviewers) now what they do.

Like lumenMedia said, this is a business, and the authors should be adapted to the maket and not vice versa. I´m an school composer, and when I came to audiojungle my knowledge of commercial music were very basic, so I started learning listening others authors… and also I pay for a mixing course, and I practice a lot in these areas. Have a hard reject it´s a great opportunity to grow in these market, the reviewer is saying: Your music is not commercial for this place, change your musical approach If you want to have sales here!! but do not expect the reviewer points out our mistakes, this is not a school, it´s a business place, and they are looking for professionals. With so many authors on AudioJungle, and many really talented composers and producers, the only way to have success here is hard work and study, learn from our mistakes, and be consistent and patient, because the road is long…

My 5 cents,and sorry for my english :wink:

When are we going to talk about the fact that non exclusive authors have no chance of getting trending or featured? That bothers me a lot more than hard reject from time to time…

BrancoG said

When are we going to talk about the fact that non exclusive authors have no chance of getting trending or featured? That bothers me a lot more than hard reject from time to time…

I have several trending items (the flag on the item) also on my non-exlusive account (i have 2 accounts on AJ). Not sure if featured items are only coming from exclusive authors but you can have a trending item no matter if ex. or non-ex. :slight_smile: