2x16 GB RAM instead of 4x8 RAM on new MacPro

Hello everyone, If I put 2x16 GB rams on new mac pro instead of 4x8 GB rams, will it affect the performance of the computer? I just want to make 2 slots empty so that future upgrades to 2 more 16 Gb is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Aeyaz said

Hello everyone, If I put 2x16 GB rams on new mac pro instead of 4x8 GB rams, will it affect the performance of the computer? I just want to make 2 slots empty so that future upgrades to 2 more 16 Gb is possible.

Thanks in advance.

REALLY good question. I’m thinking of doing EXACTLY the same - getting 2 sticks of 16gig ram… would love to know people’s thoughts

Aeyaz said

Hello everyone, If I put 2x16 GB rams on new mac pro instead of 4x8 GB rams, will it affect the performance of the computer?

Nope.

It depends on the motherboard. The one I own Asus P9X79 is Quad channel, that means using 4x8 Gb RAM and having 4 slots installed will boost the performance, instead of 2 slots 2x16 Gb.

and for the mac pro, i’ve just having 24gb RAM (using three 8gb sticks in 3 slots (3x8gb)) is more efficient than having 32gb RAM with 4 sticks of 8gb in 4 slots (4x8gb)

Nullifier said

It depends on the motherboard. The one I own Asus P9X79 is Quad channel, that means using 4x8 Gb RAM and having 4 slots installed will boost the performance, instead of 2 slots 2x16 Gb.

You would not be able to install 16GB sticks on that mobo as it supports max 8GB/slot.

Not sure about the mac in question, but I doubt it supports 16GB per slot as well.

I would be surprised if it doesn’t. Max 4x8GB and a 12 core / 24thread cpu? That’s nonsense.

But then, the whole new Mac-Pro line is pretty much nonsense.

@Aeyaz

What one do you want to get?