$2 handling charge for paypal

I’m not happy about this charge and I think it’s out of order. I will not be buying anything else until this charge is removed :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like
0870711 said

I’m not happy about this charge and I think it’s out of order. I will not be buying anything else until this charge is removed :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Tthe $2 charge means the author of the item and Envato both make a profit from the item. Paypal charge 2% (start rate) of each transaction so the $2 covers some of that.

If you don’t want to pay it then you can buy credits (with Paypal) which don’t have the surcharge.

You can put some money into your balance with paypal… In this case you will not pay 2$

Hi CRIK0VA, yes this is true but they require a minimum deposit and you always have a small balance left in your account. I’ve had $2 in there for over a year. I think the designers will lose out, as you know there are lots of websites with pirate copies of themes and other items. I have always purchased legal themes and software. I am not happy with this charge, I think it’s penny pinching. I use paypal for many things and never pay a handling charge. I still say you designers will lose out.

Hi Gareth_Gillman, like I say they have a minimum deposit, As you can see I have purchased well over 50 items and never paid this before. I’m just not going to buy anything else from Envato. There are many other sites selling themes I will use them instead.

1 Like

Hey Kevin!

I’ve just sent you an email, would you be able to keep an eye on your inbox and let me know if it doesn’t arrive?

Thanks! :grin:

Christian

Here you can find the cheapest themes so $2 is not a lot of money.

Hi -Steam- , when you buy over 70 themes it is a lot of money…

0870711 said

Hi -Steam- , when you buy over 70 themes it is a lot of money…

70 themes would be around £90 - £100 in GBP so probably but for the odd theme its not too bad as only around £1.34

Here you can find wp items $60 but elsewhere $175 or higher. html themes $16 and elsewhere $50, forum themes 16 and elsewhere $70.

||+1236497|-Steam- said-|| Here you can find wp items $60 but elsewhere $175 or higher. html themes $16 and elsewhere $50, forum themes 16 and elsewhere $70.

Also another point to this is most of them are exclusive to the Envato Market

I do also find that the 2$ should not be charged when using paypal.
Also, the 60$ minimum cashing on your account is an issue.

Well, here stuff is way underpriced since you get cheap item and tons of options to customize it and author support. For custom made you would need to pay at least 10 times more money, maybe more depending on the complexity of the site so these 2$ are really not that big issue.

Just my 2 cents.

0870711 said

Hi CRIK0VA, yes this is true but they require a minimum deposit and you always have a small balance left in your account. I’ve had $2 in there for over a year. I think the designers will lose out, as you know there are lots of websites with pirate copies of themes and other items. I have always purchased legal themes and software. I am not happy with this charge, I think it’s penny pinching. I use paypal for many things and never pay a handling charge. I still say you designers will lose out.

Yes, there are with malware’s and without updates which will hack your website. So, its your call. Consider that $2 as author incentives for providing good support.

Look at this from another perspective. An everyday perspective.

You use credit/debit cards at stores, right? The convenience store, gas station, whatever. Well, usually vendors have to pay a transaction fee(I believe it’s a percentage-based fee), which is taken out directly from the transaction amount and you never even see it.

They pay that, because it’s convenient for their customers to use a card, instead of cash, which makes their customers more likely to use their services.

I understand that there are probably some implications of direct payment with PayPal vs balance(since the money should go to the seller’s account balance on Envato), but that still doesn’t make that right IMHO :slight_smile:

Not all of us live in the US and do not use dollars, so we have to pay a conversion charge. Also 20% VAT. paypal conversion rates are not good always much lower than the bank rates. We have many different charges when buying a theme. With our bank, PayPal and the dreaded VAT at 20% . Now I see that many of the themes have increased their prices from $48 to $58 and then we are asked to pay a $2 handling charge because we choose use paypal. With VAT and the $2 charge, themes now cost $72 + our bank and paypal conversion rate. brings it near to $75 - $78

1 Like

But I guess you have to pay some charge if you want to use it.

After the support I’ve had the new $2 fee is ridiculous. I was ready to purchase an item after many purchases and have just cancelled the purchase. I am a developer and while I would be prepared if it were lumped in, the additional charge on top is just envato milking users without the developers probably getting a 1/20 if they are lucky on this charge. Until it goes away I’ll just not purchase from them again considering most of the stuff I buy is limited to single use and rarely pays for itself while I end up fixing the coding issues of the seller.

I would bet large on the odds that the seller is lucky if they see 1/20th of this upcharge.

I truly believe that this charge of $1-$2 is illegal !

The listed price does not include that minimum fee of $1, and the excuse of waving that fee only if you deposit credit is ridiculous. Envato is making a lot of money by rolling the transaction fees onto their clients, which is totally illegal. I think we definitely need to group together and sue Envato to return these fees charged without any reason!

Nonetheless, on the item page, it does not suggest on any fee to come up on checkout page. The only statement is: “Price is in US dollars. Price displayed excludes sales tax.”

That’s millions of dollars charged illegally. period.